Smith & Nephew BHR Brimingham Hip Resurfacing

Author Topic: Anyone return to playing basketball?  (Read 24607 times)

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Anyone return to playing basketball?
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
Einreb-

It seems like our new hips give us the idea that we have gotten younger.  Our bodies tell us differently.

Still it has to feel good to even be able to do that without excruciating pain.  Feeling muscle soreness is nothing compared to bone on bone.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »
8 months and a day post resurfacing... just played 2 hours of hoops. 

Holy crap, I'm hurting today.  Hip is fine... everything else hurts.

Holy crap again,  I'm hurting again today.  Played last night for 2 hours straight.

Hip feels good, but I did an odd jump stop and tweaked my right knee and my left calf both at the same time early in the night.  That makes for an odd limp.

I spent the rest of the evening running up and down the court like an aging Kevin McHale.  It wasn't pretty.

Only thing I'd say is to be careful of overstressing other parts if your hip's not quite ready. I went out dancing, ater an hour of it, my hip felt fine, but my knee was sore. I think it took over some of the support and I definitely felt it afterwards. Not basketball, but you should see some of those Salsa moves  :o
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pod417

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »
basketball is a tough one, I run and take a lot of high impact classes at the gym involving plyometrics and sprints. I played full court ball 3 months to the day after surgery , but of course that was too soon. If i had to do over again I would wait a full year before high impact, why chance an early revision. It's been almost 3 years now and am very happy with the results . I'm 46 and can do anything , just use common sense . Leave out the heavy squats or extreme load bearing activities and you will be fine.

wesinator

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2014, 06:24:25 AM »
Hello Surface Hippy Hoopsters,
Wanted to give a 5 year update for the record:
Things are still going great.  My hip is none the worse for wear that I can tell. I am five years older (42 now) and can definitely feel that, but my hip is still good.
I have played 4-5 months a year (winter basketball season) each of the past 4 years and can report no major issues with the hip.  This will be the 5th season.
Minor problem I have had is that, at the beginnings of each season, if I come back too much, too soon and try to run too hard without working up to it, there is something that fatigues easily in the resurfaced side tendons / ligaments deep in the hip that I can really affect.  It comes on as a throbbing during playing, and then the hardass I am, I keep pushing, and it is really, really sore for a few days.  Actually excruciating for the first night.  The first time it happened, in the second year, I thought I really screwed something up.  Enough to make an appointment with Dr Gross and drive the 6 hrs to his office for an appointment. He took X-rays and could find no structural items.  It still happens once or twice at the beginnings of each season, before I get my body back in bball shape. 
Aside from not working my way back into shape, I more regularly than not forget there is a metal hip in there.  Me being old is more limiting than the hip. 
Recommendations from my 5 years of experience:
1. Stretch well before playing
2. Work yourself into shape slowly – try elliptical trainers / biking / stationary biking for a while (maybe 2-3 weeks) before all-out running as fast as you can.
3. If you get some pains in there, don’t panic, but stop and take it easy for a while.
4. Wear protective under-armour type hip protection – you can google the term “thudd shorts”.  These will add some small level of protection and mentally give you some piece of mind to not worry as much.
5. Have fun and keep hooping – its good exercise!

All the best,
Wes “wesinator”
Wes
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
7-13-09

hernanu

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2014, 03:38:12 AM »
Great Post. I like the wesinator.

Twins2013

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »

Almost 3 years after 2 hip resurfacing procedures, I am playing full court basketball 3 times a week. It's pretty competitive, and I am always the oldest guy on the court.  I am 56. This has been a new lease on life. I also referee high school basketball.  I get a full schedule, usually 3 times a week.  My surgeon was just magnificent.  Huge thank you and shout out to Dr. Drinkwater in Rochester, NY.

Saf57

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2015, 03:58:34 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced in early 2003, and played basketball regularly for at least 10 years thereafter, until my left hip gave out. I'm now 20 days out of a resurfacing of that hip, and fully intend to resume playing basketball again beginning in six months.

hernanu

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »

Almost 3 years after 2 hip resurfacing procedures, I am playing full court basketball 3 times a week. It's pretty competitive, and I am always the oldest guy on the court.  I am 56. This has been a new lease on life. I also referee high school basketball.  I get a full schedule, usually 3 times a week.  My surgeon was just magnificent.  Huge thank you and shout out to Dr. Drinkwater in Rochester, NY.

Sounds great. Keep it up, this is a new life on bionic hips.

duck4three

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »
Hey Fellow Long time and new Hoopers!  It's officially been over seven years since I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Pritchett in Seattle and I played hoops between 2-3 days/week since the 7 months of recovery following that surgery.  In the last year I began to notice my left hip going very bad and so I started Juicing Green veges and lost weight in order to preserved my OE for another year or more.  It worked for a while to delay what I knew was the inevitable.  This was also great because I learned a lot about nutrition and healthy eating habits for arthritic people during this time.  However, after a valiant battle my left hip waived the white flag and it was time to surrender :( .  I saw Dr. Pritchett again in Seattle at the Swedish Orthopedic Hospital to have my left hip resurfaced he agreed it was time.  So, I am recovering 4 days post op and all is well.  Dr. P is excellent!!! He has some new techniques that make the surgery so seamless, I was in and out same day!!! His staff was polite and knowledgeable, the anesthesiologist was a miracle worker and the surgery was shorter than expected and time in recovery was on 30 minutes!!!  I stayed in the hospital a few days 7 years ago although I felt great following that surgery.   :)  The pain is minimal and I am looking forward to getting back to a fun extended basketball career.  I was competing at a high level for 4 years following my first surgery then my left hip started to bother me.  It wasn't until it began to rapidly deteriorate mid 2016 that I began to slow down. 

A word to the wise, once you have the resurfacing done and begin feeling better and playing hoops or whatever your activity is, don't regress and settle!!! Stay active, eat healthy (eat to live, not the other way around) and remember don't use basketball to get in shape, it's meant to be a fun sport to enjoy, but you must do other exercises and workouts to play hoops!  I am confident that I'll be back on the courts this summer and will continue to update my progress on this site. I haven't posted in six years because things have gone so well!  I'm not even sure if anyone will read this post since this group (Anyone returning to basketball) is so old, but if anyone does read this from that group or is planning on returning to playing hoops keep lacing them up and getting up and down the court!  Stay Healthy My Fellow Hippies!

Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »

About The Hip Talk Discussion Group

The opinions expressed on Hip Talk belong to each individual member. Patricia Walter is the Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy. She is not a doctor or medically trained. She provides information about hip resurfacing and expresses her opinion about many hip resurfacing topics. She does not provide medical advice since only a qualified hip resurfacing surgeon can provide a patient with medical advice.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis. The moderator and administrator is Patricia Walter. The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderators to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc.) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

The moderator reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Visit Our Facebook Page

Helpful Info
Home Page
Index to Articles
Newbie Info
HR Positive Results
Videos
FAQ
Hip Stories

Paid Advertisements

Dr. Lopez

View My Stats