Smith & Nephew BHR Brimingham Hip Resurfacing

Author Topic: Revised AAOS antibiotic prophylaxis guidelines  (Read 10851 times)

stevel

Revised AAOS antibiotic prophylaxis guidelines
« on: February 06, 2010, 04:13:04 PM »
Yesterday, I had a dental exam and cleaning.  I received a handout, where the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) is now recommending antibiotics before dental procedures indefinitely for Total Joint Replacement patients.
Previously, the treatment ended after 2 years.  This includes total hip resurfacing patients since the metal devices is in contact with synovidal fluid.  The link to the guidelines is www.aaos.org/about/papers/advistmt/1033.asp.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr. Su 9/29/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
Re: Revised AAOS antibiotic prophylaxis guidelines
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »
Thanks for the post Steve.  There have been many questions about taking antibiotics or not for dental work after a few years post of of a hip resurfacing or even THR.  I personally choose to take them, even at almost 4 years post op, and my dentist feels the same.

Sometimes the medical community does not agree on many things and we eventualy have to make up our own minds.

I prefer to be conservative and do everything possible to keep my BHR.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

FlbrkMike

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
I don't yet have a specific date for my surgery, but I anticipate that it will happen in about 4 weeks.  I have a dental appointment next week for routine cleaning and plaque removal.  Is there any reason to consider taking anitbiotics during any time period before the surgery is done?

Thanks,
Mike
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

andybc

• Right BHR November 25 2010 Sarah Muirhead-Allwood
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »
No, Mike. It's only after the op has been done.
Andy

dw

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
actually, it would be a good idea to consult your ortho and your dentist on it. While it's probably OK, best to ask those that will have their hands (literally) in your body.

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:07:10 AM »
I don't yet have a specific date for my surgery, but I anticipate that it will happen in about 4 weeks.  I have a dental appointment next week for routine cleaning and plaque removal.  Is there any reason to consider taking anitbiotics during any time period before the surgery is done?

Thanks,
Mike

You would definitely want to get as much dental work as possible done before surgery.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:07:10 AM »

About The Hip Talk Discussion Group

The opinions expressed on Hip Talk belong to each individual member. Patricia Walter is the Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy. She is not a doctor or medically trained. She provides information about hip resurfacing and expresses her opinion about many hip resurfacing topics. She does not provide medical advice since only a qualified hip resurfacing surgeon can provide a patient with medical advice.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis. The moderator and administrator is Patricia Walter. The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderators to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc.) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

The moderator reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.