Smith & Nephew BHR Brimingham Hip Resurfacing

Author Topic: General Anesthesia or Spinal Epidural  (Read 8523 times)

Debcoco

General Anesthesia or Spinal Epidural
« on: February 15, 2014, 03:25:58 AM »
General Anesthesia
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Granton

Re: General Anesthesia or Spinal Epidural
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:04:42 AM »
A mixture of the two. He gave me a light general anaesthetic, then an epidural.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

whyme

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:28:17 PM »
General
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

luann again

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Both! And I was glad.
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

yogalover

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
I had a difficult recovery from general a few years ago (unrelated surgery), so for my LHR requested a spinal with heavy sedation. Putting the spinal in - was worst part of my overall experience - but it was only 5-10 minutes of discomfort/pain. Surgery - I was "out" - and recovery was almost instant - so much better than general! I would do it again.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 01:58:41 AM »
General both times. It was fine for me.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Gazza2

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:37:30 AM »
Spinal only for me.  I had watched several youtube vids of the operation and was knowlegdable of what the surgeon was going to do so felt comfortable not being knocked out during the op.  Chatted to the anesthetist throughout the operation.  Was all good, he pointed out my oxygen levels a couple of times during the op and had me take deep breathes to bring them up.  The big plus for this is that I did not have to fight the "grogginess" post operation.  After the operation I was taken to post-op and just waited for the feeling to return in my legs (Whilst I phoned my wife etc.)
Dr Kim Ottawa LHR Cementless C+ Feb 2013

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:15:10 PM »
To me the epidural is the best, you wake up as if you woke up from a short nap.  No grogginess, no getting sick and no risk of dying.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Debcoco

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I guess I'm just a freak of nature or something as I had the general anesthesia and I woke up with no side effects and never had the "log" feeling in my leg nor did I have any pain other than the incision when I put pressure on it.

I was just wondering if having the general vs epidural had anything to do with recovery?

deb
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Miguelito

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 11:23:34 PM »
Spinal with sedation. No complaints.
Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Shiggy

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 03:55:18 PM »
Spinal with sedation. They used Propofol as the sedative which I've never had a problem with. I had nausea due to the narcotics.

Derek
LBHR, Dr Pritchett, 6/20/2017

tlh29276

• Dr Su -HSS NYC Right hip resurfacing 5/4/18
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:07 PM »
Epidural with propofol sedation, came out of it easily, no issues, standing by 2:00pm after 9:00am surgery.

Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:07 PM »

About The Hip Talk Discussion Group

The opinions expressed on Hip Talk belong to each individual member. Patricia Walter is the Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy. She is not a doctor or medically trained. She provides information about hip resurfacing and expresses her opinion about many hip resurfacing topics. She does not provide medical advice since only a qualified hip resurfacing surgeon can provide a patient with medical advice.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis. The moderator and administrator is Patricia Walter. The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderators to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc.) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

The moderator reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.