Smith & Nephew BHR Brimingham Hip Resurfacing

Author Topic: Cold Therapy Devices  (Read 23275 times)

terryjh

Re: Coming up to 12 years with BHR but problems starting?
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »
Hi Terry, While I am not a doc or anything close to being able to diagnose medical conditions , I kinda remember reading something a while back about your symptoms (swelling,black and blue) could possibly have something to do with metal levels in the blood. Go get yourself checked out and good luck. keep us posted.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Interesting what you say about the metal levels. I'll go get checked.

terryjh

« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2015, 08:49:57 AM »
Mine failed. For me it was a steady increase of discomfort, swelling, "clicking", loss of range of motion, and a constant "Ache" in my butt cheek. Plus it was increasingly difficult to maintain any strength or flexibility.  I never had any discoloration or bruising and it gradually got worse and worse. It wasn't a "gee it's fine today thing", then 2 weeks later it's done. It was a long slow tailspin. That's just how mine was though, I'm not a doctor. I'd go get an x-ray and your blood ion levels checked. That will let you know one way or the other.

ps. I hope you pulled a tendon or a torn muscle and it clears up on it's own. But if you do need a revision at some point don't sweat it. It's not the end of the world like some people will have you believing. My thr has been awesome, feels solid and so far trouble free. It was almost 5 years to the day between the two.  Good luck !  Hope it turns out to be nothing  8)

Sorry to hear that yours failed. How long did it last? It's reassuring to learn that a revision is no awful thing.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2015, 08:51:52 AM »
Well Terry in John O'Hara your in very good hands.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

terryjh

« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2015, 09:31:36 AM »
Well Terry in John O'Hara your in very good hands.
Yeah. He was a good 'un. Apparently he's leaving very soon. Retirement?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2015, 09:43:10 AM »
That wouldn't surprise me he's had a long career
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

evant

Re: Four years Post - OP - Snowboarded!
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2015, 10:44:21 AM »
Great post Sean.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

oldsoccerplayer

Has anyone played on artificial turf?
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
Our regular grass field was waterlogged this week so we went to play on a pitch with artificial turf. It doesn't have the same softness and give as grass and I could definitely feel it jolting all my joints, including the new hip. Afterwards I felt a soreness around my operated area that I haven't experienced in a long time. I think I'll be OK if I rest it for a few days but wondering if playing on that kind of surface is risky and I should avoid it. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience that they can share?
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

chuckm

Re: Has anyone played on artificial turf?
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
I've been playing once a week during winter for the last couple of years. No problem at all.
Not sure what type of turf it is you are playing on but most turf fields are not that hard unless they are frozen. The crumb rubber mixed in the fibers have an elastic property to them that makes the joints sore because there is a slight rebound with every step that jolts creates the "jolt". Just try and "glide" more when you run and it is fine.

Chuckm

Chuckm
LBHR 11/30/12 Dr. Boettner HSS 60mm cup 54mm head

karlos.bell

Re: Bi lateral surface surgery
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2015, 07:13:30 PM »
Awesome thanks.
Great to hear your 6 years plus and doing stuff. I will be doing a bit of my rehab stuff before I go which I know does help. pee bottle sounds a good idea. Great to get a reply.
Thanks again Wayne. Cheers Karl
Dr Koen De Smet 29-April-2015 Conserve Plus - HR Left  48mm - HR Right 50mm.
FAI hip surgery failure right side 2011- FAI  right and left failure 2013.

jss

« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2015, 07:15:22 PM »
Sean, that's fantastic!  Thanks for sharing.  I'm almost 2.5 months post-op with Dr Gross and feel far better than pre-op.  I have every intention of doing another IronMan.  Thanks for the inspiration and hope.
Biomet resurfacing with Dr Gross, Jan 2015

MattJersey

« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2015, 09:21:39 PM »
Not played on it in its current form, and "only" have normal hips at the moment.

However, this is the reaction I would expect from a change in surface, and might last several days, and reoccur until you're used to it, unless you build up gradually.

I have experienced similar from road to tartan track, or grass to road. The DOMS effect feeling similar to flu symptoms in terms of muscular discomfort in the past!
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

shoraztri

« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2015, 09:30:39 PM »
Hi jss,
 have just read your post, and notice the comment about doing another Ironman. Thats sounds awesum , and wonder when you aim to do that ??. Also I am thinking about getting out of my Standard Distance Tri zone , and having a crack at a Half Ironman.
Think I will wait to 2017 though , as i want plenty of time to heal 100%+.
Are you likely to also do a Half I., before having a go at the full IM.??.
Cheers ,
 Kiwi Boy.
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

JHippy

« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2015, 09:39:09 PM »
Sean, that's awesome! I remember seeing your other video before my surgery while I was still on the fence about getting it done. Your "before" looked just like I was at the time. And then several months later you're in great shape playing racquetball. Was very inspiring.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

jss

« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2015, 03:44:53 AM »
Kiwi, I have a group of friends that will be doing IMCH this year; which I'm obviously out for.  They plan tentatively on Idaho in 2016.  I think that's pushing it a bit and I'd prefer to wait until 2017 because I should be as close to 100% as I'll ever get, and I'll age up to 55.  If a HIM is convenient, then I'll do it as part of the training.  Last time, I did a HIM about seven weeks before the full.

Any idea which HIM you plan on doing?  If you're not aware of it, the HITS series, for now, costs considerably less than the IronMan series; but they seem to fill up just as fast.  If you're properly trained, unless you're trying to blow through it in a sub-5hr time, a HIM is, in my experience, easier than a full marathon.  Good luck, I know you'll do great!

jss

Re: Told I am not a candidate.....second opinions?
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2015, 03:54:23 AM »
ecchastang, Gross did my Perthes hip on Jan 7 this year.  So far so good.  He was very confident that if I followed his six month protocol that I'd not be at any higher risk of a neck fracture than someone without a Perthes hip.  After sitting in the exam room with him the day before surgery, I couldn't have been more confident that I'd picked the right guy for my hip. Good luck!

JHippy

« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
My experience with Dr. Gross and staff has been absolutely stellar. And his track record speaks for itself. I really don't think you could have picked a better surgeon. Good luck!
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Some Dude

« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2015, 07:43:38 AM »
Mine failed. For me it was a steady increase of discomfort, swelling, "clicking", loss of range of motion, and a constant "Ache" in my butt cheek. Plus it was increasingly difficult to maintain any strength or flexibility.  I never had any discoloration or bruising and it gradually got worse and worse. It wasn't a "gee it's fine today thing", then 2 weeks later it's done. It was a long slow tailspin. That's just how mine was though, I'm not a doctor. I'd go get an x-ray and your blood ion levels checked. That will let you know one way or the other.

ps. I hope you pulled a tendon or a torn muscle and it clears up on it's own. But if you do need a revision at some point don't sweat it. It's not the end of the world like some people will have you believing. My thr has been awesome, feels solid and so far trouble free. It was almost 5 years to the day between the two.  Good luck !  Hope it turns out to be nothing  8)

Sorry to hear that yours failed. How long did it last? It's reassuring to learn that a revision is no awful thing.

It was 5 years between surgeries. Never really felt like a "normal" hip. It was "Good enough" until around the 2-1/2 year mark. Then started getting pain and swelling after heavy use, slowly graduating into constant swelling and pain, then started knocking and clicking like a ratchet when I walked. I forget exactly when they started checking the metal levels, first was every year, then every 6 months, then every 3 months, and the levels were consistently climbing with each visit. The surgery report said they extracted lots of "Gray fluid" from around the area. The 2nd recovery was a walk in the park (pun intended  ;D ) compared to the first one. By the way I'm a firm believer the BHR is a superior design than a THR, mine failed due to the cup being positioned wrong, it was very steep (around 65 degrees) and also shallow, my operated leg was  farther away from centerline than my other leg, it stuck out too far. Hope you just pulled something and that's it, good luck ! And keep us informed  8)

ecchastang

« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »
ecchastang, Gross did my Perthes hip on Jan 7 this year.  So far so good.  He was very confident that if I followed his six month protocol that I'd not be at any higher risk of a neck fracture than someone without a Perthes hip.  After sitting in the exam room with him the day before surgery, I couldn't have been more confident that I'd picked the right guy for my hip. Good luck!
That's good to hear.  I am just waiting on the call from Nancy.  Dr. Gross said there is about a 3 month backlog, but I am crossing my fingers that there will be a slot sooner. 
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

hernanu

« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »
Played on the crumb rubber type field and had no problem, haven't done the carpet on concrete indoor fields that I played on in a past lifetime, maybe I'm getting wiser.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2015, 05:15:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice. This morning my non-op side was hurting more than the other. I have mild arthritis there (not bad enough to need treatment yet) and I guess the jolting aggravated that. I'll have to decide what I want to do next time we go to that field. The good news is that the soreness on the op side seems to have gone away today.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing

« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2015, 05:15:11 PM »

About The Hip Talk Discussion Group

The opinions expressed on Hip Talk belong to each individual member. Patricia Walter is the Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy. She is not a doctor or medically trained. She provides information about hip resurfacing and expresses her opinion about many hip resurfacing topics. She does not provide medical advice since only a qualified hip resurfacing surgeon can provide a patient with medical advice.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis. The moderator and administrator is Patricia Walter. The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderators to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc.) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

The moderator reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.