Smith & Nephew BHR Brimingham Hip Resurfacing

Author Topic: Already had bilateral scope-waiting for bilateral resurfacing  (Read 6193 times)

HockeyGuy

Re: Already had bilateral scope-waiting for bilateral resurfacing
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
Sorry chuckm, I'm not following your post.

"yes it is dismissive", Not sure how I am dismissing you.  Everyone's situation is unique to them, and it's very difficult to know the complete story for people here.  I'm definitely not trying to compare what I have done for my 20+ years of being in pain to your story.  As much as I appreciate the information and personal stories written on this site, I do have to go with the advice of the actual surgeon when it comes to my health.  Have I had be experiences, and incomplete advice, I sure have.  I have no idea what you have been told by doctors during your journey either.

I am confident that I have done my due diligence and then some when it comes to my health and I am sure you have as well.

I don't need any convincing of other options, or that you had back problems as well, or how bad your case was.

There was no dismissing.  I posted my experiences so far, and some information that I have learned over the years as well as some resources to follow up with if people so wish.  All that is up to the posters who read this.

Cheers

LMS

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »
Our health system & medical protocols are different here Chuckm. (sorry. I'm not sure where you're located)  If Hockeyguy wanted hip surgery first he would have to go out of country & most probably pay out of pocket.  There is no way he'd be able to convince Dr. B. (or any other top surgeon here)& then there would be the very good chance of him being let go by Dr. B cancelling all chances of any future dealings with him.  Yes everything is covered by our province but we have to also deal with the protocols.

For example I was approved for a resurfacing, waited almost 2 years for surgery, only to have it cancelled 4 weeks before surgery by the surgeon.  I could not convince him or my own GP's to get surgery until 6 years after that.  So I waited 8 years before surgery was approved!  10 years since initial diagnosis.  No way I could go out of country.

I wish you the best of luck with you back surgery Hockeyguy, everything crossed that it will give you that relief you need in order to proceed.

HockeyGuy

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2016, 07:12:05 PM »
Thanks LMS, we definitely have two different systems between Canada and the US, both with their advantages and disadvantages.  One thing I would like to add about my pending back surgery was what the back surgeon told me.  He questioned me extensively about my pain, where it's located, what makes it worse etc. and of course reviewed my MRI, reports from Dr. Beaule and extensive history of back pain with several appointments with Dr. Chow over the years.

He told me that back pain alone would not get me a back surgery.  He stated that the only time he does surgical interventions is when there are neurological issues.  I have a lot of nerve pain going down primarily my right leg, right into my foot.  I have lost strength in this leg, and experience constant degrees of numbness or tingling in my leg and foot.  It's these issues, NOT back pain, that warranted a surgical intervention at this time.

chuckm

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »
LMS very good point about the Canadian Health System. And maybe my lack of understanding of that system is giving me frustration over hearing about Hockeyguy. The natural thought process would be get the hips done and then if the back still hurts then go there.

A great deal of us who post on this website who were able to get our hips resurfaced did so by taking our own health care into our own hands.

Had I listened to my first four surgeons, I would have still been sitting here in agonizing pain waiting to be old enough to become a better candidate for total hip replacement.

I also may have endured a back surgery that would have been for no reason.

I live in Fairfield County Connecticut in the US which is less than an hour drive from NYC. Trust me there are plenty for good surgeons around here. I had my hip resurfaced in NYC at the Hospital for Special Surgery.

Not once did any surgeon, including the surgeon who resurfaced my hip, ever say that resurfacing or replacing my hip would help solve my back issues.

But, that is exactly what happened and it happens to others over and over. Quig is another example.

I'm not saying that I am right about your situation Hockeyguy...but I certainly could be. 
It's all moot now because you are booked for back surgery. 

What I hope is that your back surgery is able to find you relief despite the condition of you hips (the aggravators). 

Chuckm
Chuckm
LBHR 11/30/12 Dr. Boettner HSS 60mm cup 54mm head

LMS

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »
Oh for sure Chuckm, it is very frustrating!  Heck, if you're frustrated reading about it here, imagine how it is for us, the patient. ???   ;)   I don't have supplemental medical insurance (because I'm self employed),  and I don't know what the Ottawa PD offers (in HG's situation) so I can't comment on using that as a means to go out of country.  If I could have, I would have gone & had the resurfacing looooong ago.  And I'm pretty sure so would have Hockeyguy. :)

I'm lucky that my years of back pain did not put a spoke in the wheel for hip surgery.  I really feel for HG. It is a really sucky situation to be in. :(

HockeyGuy

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 01:59:20 AM »
My back surgery was supposed to be last Thursday but I got bumped to this coming Thursday.  What can you do! I did not like taking the Dilaudid at first, but now I can't get through the day without them.  I have spoken to a few people who have been operated on by Dr. Kingwell here in Ottawa and they have all had amazing results.  Dr. Kingwell told me I can schedule my bilateral resurfacing no earlier than 3 months post op.  I have already contacted Dr. Beaule's secretary to get the ball rolling on this.  They start booking their 3 months of surgery times starting in January, in early November!  I am supposed to have first pick so I am hoping to get a date 4 months out, just to make sure I'm all healed up and good to go.

I wonder if anyone else out there has has a bilateral hip resurfacing this close to back surgery with two discectomy's and opening of the nerve root canal due to stenosis?

LMS

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »
Good luck!  :D

HockeyGuy

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2016, 09:39:46 PM »
Well sitting in the recovery room 5.5 hours post OP and the pain, tingling and numbness down my right leg is finally gone!  Funny story for yiu. Before surgery I am wheeled down on a bed and parked right outside the OR for a while. Different people come by to see you, a nurse, the anesthesiologist etc. When the surgeon came to see me I had to talk to him about booking my hip surgery. We joked that I was negotiating my next surgery before this one was started.

So far so good.  Hopefully I recover quick as I plan on getting the bilateral hip resurfacing in 3.5 months.

HockeyGuy

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »
At home now, feeling much better than I had anticipated.  My legs feel light since I have no more numbness, pins and needles or pain down my right leg.  My left leg feels better as I'm not all keeled over to the left with most of my weight being on that leg.

My obstacle right now is some constipation!  Not sure what other's experience with this was.  I eating veggies and fruit and trying to stay of the narcotic pain meds.  So far I don't need those meds, but it's only day 1, we will see.

I hope things with recovery keep up with how I feel now, but I will follow the doctor's orders.  I just feel so much better being able to stand straight!! 

Motivated to get this going to get ready for the bilateral in 3 months!!!

LMS

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2016, 11:34:32 PM »
Awesome!  I'm so glad it went well for you! :D

LMS

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2016, 07:34:31 PM »
Hey Hockeyguy, was just wondering how things are going?

I sent you a pm but figured others would also wondering how you've been since your back surgery.   :)

HockeyGuy

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2017, 02:39:49 AM »
An update for anyone reading this.

I had a successful discectomy of two bulging discs L4/L5 and L5/S1.  It was as if someone turned off the pain switch and I was abel to stand straight again.  Recovery has gone great, except that I put on 20 lbs being laid up for 6 months and then recovering from surgery.  Trying to lose the weight has now been my main focus, but as most people here can attest to, I have started back at work, etc etc. 

I found out last week that I will be getting my bilateral resurfacing on April 27th!!  Time to get serious about my training and dieting.  My goal is to lose at least 15 lbs that I have put on.  I can deadlift 250 lbs for reps, do kettle bell swings, and everything I was doing before my back went on me.  I focus a TON on my mobility work and foam roll like crazy.  Tomorrow I plan on doing 2 a day workouts to step up the weight loss aspect.

I will post my workouts after I do them for a week.

If anyone has any workouts that they did pre surgery let me know and I will happily see if they fit into my current routine.

To be ones though, now that I have the date, I am a little nervous.  I don't know why as my back surgery went so well.  I think it's because it's the timing of the surgery.  My wife is studying for a promotional exam, and will be taking this test a month after my surgery.  With me recovering, she will lose valuable study time looking after me.  Add to that my kids have hockey tryouts at exactly the same time as my surgery, and they are ramping up their Tier 1 soccer ALL at the same time.  I live in a rural area and drive in to the city 35 min for all their sports so it's a big effort getting them around. 

I am thinking of asking tomorrow if I can delay the surgery 2 weeks IF POSSIBLE.

Also worried about the results.  From reading here, and talking to people I know who have been through single resurfacings, the results vary.  I have high hopes, but I hope not unrealistic expectations.  We will see.

Just an update with still lots of work ahead!

LMS

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
Yay!

I doubt that they can push it by 2 weeks but never hurts to try.  You guys will manage!  My surgery was scheduled for Oct/Nov, which meant we had the summer to put a push on the renos (insurance & mortgage co breathing down our necks) & From May to September is our busiest time of the year...  A week after seeing Dr. B, I got a phone call from Victoria saying there was an available spot for me in 6 weeks.  Right when we are about to peak in our season.  My husband was by himself to run & fabricate everything & ome of my sons looked after the horses for me.  It was hard on everyone, I couldn't do diddly squat & felt horrible about it but we all agreed, the surgery was priority as I could no longer function without it.

You can do it!  And you'll have recuperated enough to enjoy your summer with your family.  :D

HockeyGuy

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 01:57:13 AM »
Just had my Joint replacement information session last night.  I was by far the youngest there by at least 10 years!  I have been having second thoughts and have been getting some different advice from different doctors.  One sports med doc is telling me not to do it because I can still workout very hard.  Hockey will be a problem though.  My chiropractor is saying he has helped me all he can and is recommending me to get it done.  A buddy from work saw a doctor about his back, and I had told him to get his hips checked as well.  He has two blown discs but is surviving on a cortisone shot into his spine.  His doc told him his hips were a mess and far past a resurfacing and in need of replacement.  That being said the doc told him to wait a lot longer.

I am being told the resurfacing is a great option to remain active and increase your quality of life.  Getting mixed messages from many people.  Still going through with it, but my faith is being tested.

My workouts are getting better by the week, and I am slowly losing weight.  Feeling much more fit, and purposely not pushing my weightlifting to far, but feel very strong.

Still concerns over how long the recovery will be.  My immediate concerns are living on a couple acres of land and having to get the property ready for summer.  April 27th will be right at the time I would be getting this all going.

catfriend

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 04:20:07 PM »
HG you've been posting on this for the past year. Ask yourself this: Will my hips feel better in six months or a year if I don't have this done? Or will they feel better if I have it done? If the answer to one is no and to two yes, then why the internal debate? If not now, when? You need to get the property ready for summer. So skip it. Then what? Well, you don't want to risk not being ready for hockey season. And then something else will come up. All the while you'll still be in pain, your hips will continue to deteriorate, and eventually you'll no longer be a HR candidate. Hint: there may be no perfect time.

Why are people discouraging you? Do they just not trust resurfacing? Is it because they equate resurfacing with replacement, and don't want to see you go down the replacement road too soon? They might not be as well informed as you. Consider what is motivating them to discourage you from something that you need, and will improve your condition.

My advice is to get it done. Stop the pain. Take back your life. My yard looked like crap last year because of my recovery. So what. It'll be fine this year. Get help with your property if necessary. Wait, isn't that what kids are for? A year from now you'll be glad you did.

I, too, was the youngest at my joint seminar at Swedish. Anybody else near my age was a child driving his/her parent there. What a way to feel young!

LMS

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2017, 09:20:25 PM »
Dr.B does not agree to resurfacings or THRs on a whim.  If he ok'd it & is on board with you getting your hips done, you bet that it's because you are ready for it & will make the world of difference.

So what if you miss a summer... the property will still be there in the fall for you to look after it.  What's more important: your quality of life or how your yard will look?  And also, you don't want to wait too long & then be told you're no longer a candidate for a resurfacing like what happened with me!

I was supposed to have a resurfacing & when he saw my new x-rays, he did not want to do a revision from a resurfacing.  The bone quality wasn't as good as when he first approved the resurfacing 5 years prior.  And then not even a week later, I received a phone call saying they could bump up my surgery from 6 months to 6 weeks based on how bad my hip was.  They would not have offered had I not needed it sooner rather than later.  And it was at the busiest time of our season & we were in the middle of a total house restoration (1890's farm house).  It was hard, all activities & renos were put on hold & my husband worked like a dog doing his & my job.  And we pulled through...  So now this summer, I am much better equipped to be more helpful doing the indoor & outdoor renos because I am no longer stuck to my walker, in pain & popping pain pills.

Even our clients see a massive difference in me.

Listen to Dr. B & do it!  Once you get your life back, you will be happy you did it!  :)

LMS

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2017, 11:43:36 PM »
It's been over 5 weeks since your tentative surgery date... did you go through it or did you reschedule?   :)

Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2017, 11:43:36 PM »

About The Hip Talk Discussion Group

The opinions expressed on Hip Talk belong to each individual member. Patricia Walter is the Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy. She is not a doctor or medically trained. She provides information about hip resurfacing and expresses her opinion about many hip resurfacing topics. She does not provide medical advice since only a qualified hip resurfacing surgeon can provide a patient with medical advice.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis. The moderator and administrator is Patricia Walter. The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderators to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc.) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

The moderator reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.