Smith & Nephew BHR Brimingham Hip Resurfacing

Author Topic: Resurfacing after failed FAI Surgery  (Read 1944 times)

Ljpviper

Re: Resurfacing after failed FAI Surgery
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »
My psoas is very problematic on the right side, even after resurfacing. I am hoping the injection I had on Monday helps it out.

Shotohips

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 05:38:29 PM »
Good luck. Hope it feels better soon.

Any tendonitis or tendinopathy I have ever had has taken a lot of rest :/ I am seeing a new PT on Thursday, I will relay any good info I get.

Left Conserve+
Dr. De Smet
6/7/16

vonhouser

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
I didn't have any anchors or hardware after my scopes. I do know that the guy I had surgery who had five said there was a lot of scar tissue de Smet had to deal with but it worked out.

As for tendonitis, I had tons of psoas problems before hand. PRP really helped with it, but the hip disfunction just made it impossible to settle. After the surgery I had bursitis on the UN-operated side for a few weeks, probably because of the way I was walking, and that cleared up.

Yesterday working with my trainer (who has a PT on site) we thought my psoas was acting up, but he had me do some specific moves and said the movement that made it hurt indicated that it was indeed a hip flexor but not the psoas, so quad stretching and such are recommended. Some people have psoas problems if the device is not properly placed. With an experienced surgeon this should not be an issue.
49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

karlos.bell

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
 8) From my experience having a crook hip joint creates a massive amount of issues due the inflammation from the joint itself, It is never the same issue day in and day out.
But if worn due to age , congenital issue, or injury the issues sometimes are similar. The joint leans itself to this due it is a 3 dimensional joint. So the muscles, tendons, ligaments all change to accommodate the wear and tear or issue.
That could be adductors 1 day, abductors the next, hip flexors the next day etc... hamstring another day....

If this is fixed correctly the opposite happens but it does take some time to readdress itself and strengthen the tendons, muscles and ligaments back up so it is the reverse.

Basically what I have experienced.
Yep had the anchors all the mods to the hips of FAI and it makes you worse.... is what I experienced.

Cheers K :)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:18:51 PM by karlos.bell »
Dr Koen De Smet 29-April-2015 Conserve Plus - HR Left  48mm - HR Right 50mm.
FAI hip surgery failure right side 2011- FAI  right and left failure 2013.

Ljpviper

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »
Karlos, that makes a lot of sense its seems the people with the prior scopes often have more psoas issues than the un scoped hip to hip resurfacing.

I am dealing with a bad psoas issue, the problem is if you completely stop excessing the glutes shut down and stiffness sets in the HR hip.

Not fun as I thought the HR would be the end to all hip issues

larry

Shotohips

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 08:51:27 AM »
Von - regarding the PRP injection, the radiologist in Geneva, Switzerland who recently administered my cortisone injection into my bursa and the joint said PRP in the tendon was not as responsive because it has to be very accurately placed for it to be effective. On the other hand, I once had a PRP injection in my patella tendon and with a serious rehab it closed the micro lesions. Can you please share this experience with us? I would be willing to give it a go. How long until you felt the affect of it?

As for the psoas itself, it really is a tough one. The one consistent theme I have heard and read is eccentric strengthening and lengthening. I think this is where a good PT comes in. They can tell you wether is really needs to be stretched out or not. I have a hunch over stretching in certain situations can really irritate it.

For my case, I recently went to a new PT here in Chamonix and the PT ordered me to stop doing single leg raises because he thought it was too much! Now he is recommending bent knee raises to chest in a very slow motion and small range of motion. Once there is no pain, then I can progress to a larger range of motion and then eventually to the single leg raise. The theme is to go slow to lengthen and strengthen. From my understanding, the tendinitis or tendinopathy  means you have small micro lesions in the tendon which get repaired with other tissue, but sometimes these tissues can restrict your movement and cause stiffness as well. The slow eccentric exercises will help break the tissue and re-allign the new tissue for better movement?? With all this said, does it address the underlying biomechanical issues which Karlos mentioned, probably not. I have been told, I can do any strengthening excercise for the hip as long it doesn't irritate the psoas. Another good reason to have a good PT to work with you..

I am seeing another sports medicine doc here next week who specializes in administering PRP and Prolotherapy. Any feedback on these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

On another subject, I got my X-rays and the are off! Yesterday, my X-rays went to Dr. Brooks, Dr. Gross, Dr. Su, Dr. Pritchett, and Dr. De Smet! I guess I will start another thread to share my experience with the whole starting out process, but so far I have had a really good experience with all of them. I would say Dr. Su's office seemed to be accommodating, but least personal. All the other offices were very responsive. More detail on this in the other thread..

Hope everyone here has a great Saturday morning and an awesome day filled with positive thoughts.

~ RG

Left Conserve+
Dr. De Smet
6/7/16

karlos.bell

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 08:39:20 PM »
 8) Sorry Shoto Larry how long has it been since your HR??

Ljpviper

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 02:27:54 PM »
Mine has been 10 months since HR with Gross. Had a scope in the same hip Jan-11
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:57:04 PM by Ljpviper »

vonhouser

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 01:35:00 AM »
The PRP for my psoas wasn't a silver bullet because my hip was still wrecked, but it allowed me to ride many miles and row from Oxford to London even though I had bone on bone arthritis. Without the PRP to the psoas I could barely walk up stairs. I took 2-3 sessions.

But the thing that was important for me was the ultrasound. The doc could look at the tendons on the ultrasound and show you what was going on, fluid, tears, etc. And they used the ultrasound to guide the PRP injection to make sure it went to the right place.

It's not perfect, but if you can stand a cortisone shot, which has side effects, why not try PRP, which has none (as far as I've seen)?

I also just think my soft tissues need all the help they can get with the structural problems I had!

49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

HockeyGuy

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 03:23:44 AM »
Hi guys, I just read this thread now, some great information from all of you.  I am in Ottawa Canada, and had a bilateral scope done by Dr. Beaule 5 years ago for Cam FAI.  The scope went well and I recovered quick, but I didn't see this massive change. 

Before knowing I had a hip issue, I had dealt with back pain for almost 20 years.  Constant sciatica, but managed this through exercise.   I played hockey, but found that my lateral movement and balance wads getting significantly worse.  I can do anything in a straight line, but it's the moment I open my hips where I am in pain.  I have zero internal hip rotation to speak of.  I am a police officer and when we do ground fighting training I am in pain the moment I have to open up at the hips.

All that being said, I still remained fairly active.  Ironically, despite my bad hips, I always focused on my back pain, and the worst part was thoracic pain and constant tightness.

[/size][size=78%] This past May I woke up with 2 bad bulging discs and was bent over at a 90 degree angle before back surgery in Oct.  This went extremely well.  I am now scheduled for a bilateral hip resurfacing at the end of April!  Hopefully the new metal parts will be the solution I have [/size][size=78%][/size]been looking[size=78%][/size][size=78%] for.[/size][size=78%]

I gave you a bit of may background to show how I ended up here.  You are looking for solutions to an FAI scope when it didn't go well.  My situation didn't have the severe pain you had, but a steady deterioration and increase in back pain.  Dr. Beaule saw me two weeks before my back went out and felt that my pain indicated the need for a resurfacing.  I was not at the pain level you are, but perhaps is was the time that had passed that factored in to his decision.

I am a firm believer in using exercise as a major, if not THE biggest component of your health and recovery.  Joint mobility work, foam rolling, glute activation and strengthening, have all been aspects of my daily regime to maintain some sort of health level.  My current goal is to get in the best shape I can leading into the bilateral resurfacing.  I packed on 20 lbs when my back went out!

I bring up all the workouts as I honestly believe it is a component of recovery, pain management, and health maintenance and improvement far to often overlooked.  Perhaps overlooked is to strong, but people are hesitant to get active again after surgery, and only get minimal results.  As for professional treatment post surgery, I have stayed with my chiropractor who is excellent at A.R.T. treatment to loosen the tight muscles.  NEVER went to physio and designed my own workout rehab.  I have tried many soft tissue techniques including myofascial release, acupuncture and Rolfing, but nothing was as effective as ART.  Not sure if you have tried this for work on your posas.

I have had a few colleagues and friends go through hip resurfacing and two in particular.  Both these guys were hockey players in their 40's and each had single hip resurfacing with no previous scopes.  One, like me, was a huge workout guy as well, and quickly got back working as a K9 officer, jogs as part of his job and training, and plays a high level of hockey.  The other, perhaps it was more psychological or other life stuff that got in the way, but never got the relief he thought he would have.  He has never played hockey again, and is much more sedentary than before.  He is nervous about his hip.  He admits to not having done much to help his recovery and is eager to see how I turn out!!

Sorry for such a long post guys.  Seems like a few of you had ongoing issues with your psoas and constant pain. My pain, other than constant thoracic pain, was only aggravated through certain movements I learned to avoid.  i hope to be able to open my hips with the new parts.  I feel that a planned, progressive program of exercise consisting of mobility work, stretching and strength work to bring about body balance is needed to see the real benefits that this surgery can bring.

If you managed to get this far, thanks.

I hope some of this helped a little.  Good luck with searching for more answers.  I for one am going all in with the bilateral hip resurfacing and am extremely happy with the work of Dr. Beaule here in Ottawa.

karlos.bell

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 04:43:59 AM »
 :) Cool hockey guy.
I did 2 hours riding my racing bike toady non stop....... I don't know when this thing is not going to stop getting better and better maybe when I am 60...... I enjoyed the ride no pain. Muscles are getting stronger. I would also pay attention to diet as well. This has been excellent for tissue regeneration. Poor diet poor regeneration.....
However I wont blurb on this is Shoto's post.

Good to see some positive people with HIP Resurfacing...
Cheers K

Shotohips

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »
Thank you for the info everyone. I just finished seeing a sports medicine doctor her in Chamonix, FR and he stated the same thing the doctor in Geneva said about PRP, it is difficult to get good results in the psoas tendon because the size of the tendon and it needs to be placed fairly accurately. I wish there was a doctor here who would administer it under ultrasound. I would still give it a try..

Hockeyguy - Thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience. I wish you the best for you procedure. Keep us updated.

I have spoken to two surgeons so far and waiting for others. I'll eventually create a new post to share those experiences.

RG
Left Conserve+
Dr. De Smet
6/7/16

HockeyGuy

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »
Karlos, excellent that you are getting to exercise more and more.  I believe so much in diet as well and will be working my best to keep it as clean as possible.  My wife is a diet nut and will keep me honest!!

Shoto, I am in Canada and depending how far you are willing to go Dr. Galea in Toronto is a top guy in North America for PRP injections.  My wife had several PRP injections by Dr. Galea and it was amazing how many pro athletes travel the world to be treated by him.  They have a 4D ultrasound when doing their injections, and also have other options such as bone marrow and stem cell options for the most difficult cases.

Exceptionally far for you, but thought I would throw it out there.  Perhaps if you contact them they can tell you where there is a 4D ultra sound machine somewhere on much closer to you.

karlos.bell

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »
 8) Hockey. 2 books I go by now.
Scientific evidence and facts..
Loren Cordain "The Paleo Diet".
Loren Cordain "The Paleo Answer".
Paleo means old.....
Keep it simple.
2 books world of knowledge.
If you get more interested and want to find out more send me a message get my email.
Rock on.... :)

Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »

About The Hip Talk Discussion Group

The opinions expressed on Hip Talk belong to each individual member. Patricia Walter is the Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy. She is not a doctor or medically trained. She provides information about hip resurfacing and expresses her opinion about many hip resurfacing topics. She does not provide medical advice since only a qualified hip resurfacing surgeon can provide a patient with medical advice.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis. The moderator and administrator is Patricia Walter. The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderators to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc.) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

The moderator reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Visit Our Facebook Page

Helpful Info
Home Page
Index to Articles
Newbie Info
HR Positive Results
Videos
FAQ
Hip Stories

Paid Advertisements

Dr. Lopez

View My Stats