Smith & Nephew BHR Brimingham Hip Resurfacing

Author Topic: 11 Year Update Patricia Walter's HR with Dr. De Smet 2006  (Read 514 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
11 Year Update Patricia Walter's HR with Dr. De Smet 2006
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
11 Year Update   3/15/2017  -  My BHR is 11 years old today.  It is a gift I received from Dr. De Smet from Belgium 11 years ago.  I remember the surgery day as if it were yesterday - the day I was out of pain.  I have been out of pain and active since then.  Never had a problem and just don't think about my hip. I am 72 now and hoping to live until I am 100 with the same BHR in my left hip!  I never regret the day I flew to Belgium to have surgery and would do it again, in a heartbeat.  Although we have wonderful, experienced surgeons in the US now, Dr. De Smet is one of the most experienced surgeons in the world.

Hip resurfacing has changed since 2006.  The BHR is no longer suggested for women and small men.  It is still an excellent device for most active men. There are other devices available for women and small men in the US and overseas.  Hip resurfacing is still a great option for women, small men and active men.  In the hands of experienced surgeons, hip resurfacing results are very good for women and men. Hip resurfacing is an excellent solution for good candidates to return to the sports and activities they love.

I started the http://surfacehippy.info website is 2005 to share information about hip resurfacing with people interested in an alternative to a THR that had no restrictions. So many people that had hip resurfacing had successful stories about their surgeries and recoveries that I wanted to share those with the world.

My hip resurfacing is still going strong and the website is still growing and very active.  I feel very blessed to have learned about hip resurfacing, received a BHR and provided a website for others to learn.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:30:30 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mari

Re: 11 Year Update Patricia Walter's HR with Dr. De Smet 2006
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
Wonderful to hear.  Thank you so much for this site and all the work you do to keep everyone informed about hip resurfacing.  It is this site I stumbled on and found out about Dr. Gross.  He resurfaced my hip a number of years ago and I have been very happy with it.  Thank You, Pat!
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

Joe_CA

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »
Congratulations Pat. Your work on this website has changed so many lives for the better. I hope you understand how much a factor this place is when people like me made the decision to undergo hip resurfacing. From the personal testimonials, the central location of physician resources, and the numerous scientific literature and studies.

If it wasn't for this website, I would have probably listened to the recommendation of my local orthopedic surgeon, and would be living with hip replacements now. Sure, I'd be pain-free, but my active lifestyle would have been severely limited. So many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people here are indebted to the work you have done.

Thank you.

Joe

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »
Congratulations Pat. My experience mirrors yours coming on seven years - nothing but good is coming from both hips.

I want to thank you for running this site. It was a great and comforting resource before, during and after my hip resurfacings. Congrats again...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

blinky

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
This is great news.

Thank you, Pat. This site does such a service for all us crooked walking hippies. I read all the patient run sites and this was the easiest to use resource.

Here's to the next eleven years!

Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »

About The Hip Talk Discussion Group

The opinions expressed on Hip Talk belong to each individual member. Patricia Walter is the Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy. She is not a doctor or medically trained. She provides information about hip resurfacing and expresses her opinion about many hip resurfacing topics. She does not provide medical advice since only a qualified hip resurfacing surgeon can provide a patient with medical advice.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis. The moderator and administrator is Patricia Walter. The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderators to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc.) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

The moderator reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.