Smith & Nephew BHR Brimingham Hip Resurfacing

Author Topic: BILATERAL HIPS 12/13/17 COMPLETE! ANY GUIDANCE APPRECIATED!  (Read 2384 times)

surratt

Re: BILATERAL HIPS 12/13/17 COMPLETE! ANY GUIDANCE APPRECIATED!
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »
lol ok so Im not the only one who had difficulty with those leg lifts?  The side ones are the hardest especially.  Yeah in between sets in the pool I ill walk sideways for those muscles as well
Bilateral Hip resurface Dr. Gross
12/13/17
12/15/17

surratt

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 01:29:29 AM »
Also are there any stretches or movements that anyone would recommend besides the ones Dr.Gross recommends to get the hips functioning better?  Im not working for another 6 weeks so Ive considered getting some professional PT.
12/13/17
12/15/17

surratt

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »
this past week or two ive been experiencing pretty bad tailbone pain...so much so that i can no longer relax in the recliner bc it hurts so bad.... its starting to really worry me and gets worse the more i sit.  Im assuming the recovery period that I spent mostly in the recliner put too much pressure on that area but i really have no clue.  The pain is terrible today after a 6 hour drive I made. 

Anyone experience tailbone pain like this from maybe too much sitting?
12/13/17
12/15/17

surratt

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 09:34:43 PM »
lol im pretty much talking to myself lately on this thread but ill keep posting in the case that maybe it helps someone who had the same questions or concerns that I did.

The tailbone pain came from my recliner for sure and putting pressure on one spot.  I did some exercises and stretches as well as iced it alot and took hot epsom salt baths.  I also bought a donut pillow to sit on so after a week of treating it aggressively with those things its getting a lot better.

Im at week 10 almost, Im able to do body weight squats but Im still feeling a consistent clunking so im not going to add weight yet, im just sticking with side steps with bands, leg extensions, curls and lower back lifts.  Hopefully in the next month i can but a little weight on the smith machine and do some box squats. Ive been working on my flexibility so i can touch my toes now and put on my shoes pretty easy thank god, but bending down still feels odd.  Im concerned about the clunking and shifting, i guess its getting a bit better but it prolly does it 100 times a day moving around and stuff so that makes me anxious.

lol and i weigh 193, i went into surgery 183, i havent been eating bad but never the less i put on weight so Im going strict keto until i get my weight back down bc im starting to look chubby.
12/13/17
12/15/17

blinky

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 02:31:45 AM »
I'm listening!

Are you walking? Getting outside? Getting in the pool?

I think the tailbone story just shows there are all kinds of little surprises.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 01:29:45 PM »
I think a lot of people just read and don't comment much.  There are hundreds of people that are not members, so they can't post but they read the stories.  I have had many people email me commenting or sending a personal story and mention that they read the posts all the time, but they don't care to post.

So even though you feel alone, there are a lot of eyes watching your story and comments.

Hang in there.  Week 10 is early in your recovery.  Many people have a little break through at 6 weeks, but we are all different in our problems and pains.  Just be patient and things will work out. Don't be too aggressive, you will have plenty of time to be active this summer.  We can't make our bodies heal faster than its own timeline.  When it hurts - don't do it.  Give yourself time to heal.  You can't go by other people's stories.

Good Luck.  I look forward to your future posts on your recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

surratt

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »
I'm listening!

Are you walking? Getting outside? Getting in the pool?

I think the tailbone story just shows there are all kinds of little surprises.

yes im swimming, walking about 1.5 miles a day, then doing the stairmaster and  elliptical machine.
12/13/17
12/15/17

surratt

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 04:45:42 PM »
I think a lot of people just read and don't comment much.  There are hundreds of people that are not members, so they can't post but they read the stories.  I have had many people email me commenting or sending a personal story and mention that they read the posts all the time, but they don't care to post.

So even though you feel alone, there are a lot of eyes watching your story and comments.

Hang in there.  Week 10 is early in your recovery.  Many people have a little break through at 6 weeks, but we are all different in our problems and pains.  Just be patient and things will work out. Don't be too aggressive, you will have plenty of time to be active this summer.  We can't make our bodies heal faster than its own timeline.  When it hurts - don't do it.  Give yourself time to heal.  You can't go by other people's stories.

Good Luck.  I look forward to your future posts on your recovery.

Pat

good point, before I signed up i was reading here for a good while and never posted
12/13/17
12/15/17

John C

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2018, 01:21:09 AM »
I also still had clunking and shifting at 10 weeks. It will gradually decrease over time, and should be mostly gone by six months. Clunking is long gone for me, but I will still feel an occasional minor shifting feeling which has no affects on my activities or sports. As good as the lubrication is, the metal interface is not quite as frictionless as lubricated cartilage which is sometimes likened to the slickness of oiled ice.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

surratt

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2018, 09:36:29 PM »
I feel it the most now when doing hamstring stretches, bending over to touch my toes.....I just wonder if im doing damage or something doing these muscular and tendon stretches that create this clunk.  Im not even sure what is happening inside me causing that sensation but in my head it feel like I may be causing wear on that metal to metal surface, not sure if I should be worried about that or not.
12/13/17
12/15/17

surratt

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 04:56:35 PM »
Few setbacks in my recovery...ive been walking a ton as well as 25 minutes of elliptical a day.  Probably 4 miles of walking.  May have overdone it bc the last week ive experienced some groin or possibly psoas pain that isnt terrible but i feel that walking only makes it worse.  Ive been dreading it but im going to take a few days off and see if its get better and just stretch.

Im religious about stretching at this point, im spending 1.5 hours a day stretching putting lots of emphasis on my psoas, hamstrings, and quads.  I couldnt even touch my toes after surgery i was so tight, my goal is to be able to touch my head to my knees again like i could years ago.  Hopefully i can obtain that goal by summer and when i start doing jiu jitsu again.  My psoas is still very tight so hopefully ill see improvement there as well.
12/13/17
12/15/17

surratt

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
Back to work!  This is about 3.5 months or so after surgery an Im a technician for lexus so its around 5-7 miles of walking a day and lifting heavy things like tires and batteries.  I feel incredible, everyone comments on how smooth I walk now and how i look taller!  I guess my posture is better or something.  I almost had to bend over slightly to reduce pain when my hips were bad.  Its quite incredible to have come all this way considering how helpless I was in the beginning but the time passed so quickly.  I feel great at work though, way better than i did before the surgery, my body quickly adapted to all that walking and lifting is not an issue. 

I ordered a program on stretching and mobility of the psoas and it helped bigtime, im still stretching and strengthening everything religiously and enjoying the improvements.  I feel like at 6 months ill almost all the way there as far as recovery.  Its only 3.5 months so Im not suppose to run bc my femur is still healing but it feels like I could at this point.  I tried it out for just 20 feet and it made me so happy bc there was no pain at all vs before the surgery I couldnt run period.  Im excited as hell for the 6 month mark to start jogging a few times a week again.

I almost postponed this surgery until next year and I thank god I didnt bc now the worst is over and at 3 months im better off than I was before the surgery and I still have alot of healing and improving left to do.  I will say that my hip is still clunking around mainly when i do a certain squat or hamstring stretch but its getting better.  I was able to do my first unnasisted parallel body weight squat a few weeks ago so im getting stronger, lunges are still difficult but im building strength.  The weighted leg lifts are fairly easy for me now but I still do them along with other things.

I know Dr. Gross says PT isnt nescessary but I think a measured approach is beneficial, strengthening, stretching and mobility emphasis will only improve healing in a conservative way IMO.  I ran everything i was doing by the nurse and they said its fine just listen to your body if there is any pain which I did.  My psoas and groin area had issues alot of it from before the surgery but after working hard on it for a month i noticed real results.  Id recommend everyone work that area consistently.

Ive also lost all the fat I gained, went on a keto style diet just ate more protein than is usual on a keto.  Took lots of collagen and gelatin as well to hopefully aid my bone healing.

12/13/17
12/15/17

ArthriticHip

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »
Wow, that's great news. I'm at just over 5 weeks post-op, so your recovery is inspirational. Enjoy all that pain-free activity!
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

surratt

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2018, 01:49:24 AM »
Hang in there...it starts getting way better after 6 weeks.  Im excited for the 6 month mark where i can get back into jiu jitsu and also jogging/biking.  Its weird I feel younger or something, maybe its just my subconscious or something but with those arthritic hips if made me feel as though i was older mentally bc of my pain and limited mobility.  Now that the pain is gone I just feel more youthful.
12/13/17
12/15/17

Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2018, 01:49:24 AM »

About The Hip Talk Discussion Group

The opinions expressed on Hip Talk belong to each individual member. Patricia Walter is the Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy. She is not a doctor or medically trained. She provides information about hip resurfacing and expresses her opinion about many hip resurfacing topics. She does not provide medical advice since only a qualified hip resurfacing surgeon can provide a patient with medical advice.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis. The moderator and administrator is Patricia Walter. The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderators to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc.) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

The moderator reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.