Smith & Nephew BHR Brimingham Hip Resurfacing

Author Topic: Surgery in February, NEED SOME ADVICE!  (Read 557 times)

ArthriticHip

Surgery in February, NEED SOME ADVICE!
« on: January 07, 2018, 10:23:10 PM »
Hi Everyone - I'm scheduled for hip resurfacing in my left hip end of February with Dr Peter Brooks. Question: I've heard that it is beneficial to get your leg that will be operated on in as good a shape as possible prior to surgery? Was hoping you could give me some feedback on this. Given the arthritic pain I've had in my left leg for the past several years, the leg has become out of shape as my other leg has compensated for most of the activity work load. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

Joe_CA

Re: Surgery in February, NEED SOME ADVICE!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »
Hello AH,

Before my surgery I asked similar questions. The first responses were to simply improve your fitness in general, meaning your lower and upper body. This was good advice, as I really needed my shoulders and arms to be strong for activities like getting out of a chair/bed for the first couple of weeks (I had bilateral surgeries, so I didn't have a good leg to use). So I continued to hit the gym prior to the surgery date. Did a lot of weight training on all body parts where I could. Because of my arthritis, I could barely do exercises like lunges, but I tried. I did everything I could, and I believe it helped in my recovery (that, or I was just lucky). So hit the gym if you can, and try and get all of your muscles tone (and you can concentrate on your left leg a bit too). A stationary bike might be a great idea as well.

Good luck,
Joe

ArthriticHip

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:21:42 PM »
Great advice Joe, thanks for the response!

karlos.bell

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
 :) Hard stuff. If you work at the exercises sometimes it makes it more difficult for surgery due the muscles are stronger so the operation is harder. A balance I would say not too much not too little. 8)
Dr Koen De Smet 29-April-2015 Conserve Plus - HR Left  48mm - HR Right 50mm.
FAI hip surgery failure right side 2011- FAI  right and left failure 2013.

ArthriticHip

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
Thanks Karlos, I appreciate it.

Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »

About The Hip Talk Discussion Group

The opinions expressed on Hip Talk belong to each individual member. Patricia Walter is the Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy. She is not a doctor or medically trained. She provides information about hip resurfacing and expresses her opinion about many hip resurfacing topics. She does not provide medical advice since only a qualified hip resurfacing surgeon can provide a patient with medical advice.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis. The moderator and administrator is Patricia Walter. The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderators to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc.) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

The moderator reserve the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.