+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Outpatient surgery for Hip Resurfacing  (Read 2924 times)

grants

Outpatient surgery for Hip Resurfacing
« on: April 09, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »
Hi all, new to this forum and am investigating getting hip resurfacing in Seattle with Dr. Pritchett.  He seems awesome! I will be on the hook for the cost as I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada.  So the suggestion is doing outpatient surgery (no overnight stay) to keep the cost lower.  Has anyone done this? 
LHRS - Dr. Pritchett Aug 2018, bearing surface - cross-poly insert on ceramic coated titanium un-cemented femoral  component.

ArthriticHip

Re: Outpatient surgery for Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:13:27 PM »
Hi Grants - I had my left hip resurfaced 6 weeks ago today. I go in for my 6 week check up tomorrow. Recovery has gone well and I feel great. Everyone's experience is different, but based on my experience I would hesitate to PLAN on a same day surgery, mainly because you don't know what YOUR experience will be. I wouldn't have been able to leave the hospital on the same day. My surgery went well, but I really struggled with the after effects of anesthesia. I wasn't able to get out of bed the day of surgery to do PT because I would get sick to my stomach. I couldn't have imagined trying to fly, or be in a car for a number of hours. I know some on this site have had really quick discharges, but the typical is a 1-2 night stay. I had my surgery on a Monday and was still wobbly Tuesday morning. By Wednesday morning I was feeling well enough to go home and was discharged around noon.

Good luck!
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

grants

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
Thanks for that perspective.  Yeah its seems a bit aggressive to try and get out the same day so may try and explore what other options i could do.  This helps.
LHRS - Dr. Pritchett Aug 2018, bearing surface - cross-poly insert on ceramic coated titanium un-cemented femoral  component.

Maureen

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:35:30 PM »
Hi!   I'll chime in with a different perspective - I had outpatient surgery done with Dr. Gross 4 weeks ago (today!)  and was VERY happy I chose outpatient (I had a choice).  My surgery was at 1:00 and I was hobbling around the hotel on crutches at 9:30 pm.   I'm not sure of Dr Pritchett's protocol but I had a nurse visit that evening and Dr. Gross literally came to my hotel room at 8:00 am the next morning to check on me and take out the port that they had left in place  (in case I had bad nausea - because I couldn't take anti-emetics due to a potential heart arrhythmia)    Even though recovery wasn't super easy - I thought a one bedroom suite was a much more comfortable place to do it! (Plus I was a bit worried about infections that can be acquired in a hospital...)   But it was reassuring to know that the hospital was right across the street from the hotel if I did have any issues.   I was glad that I stayed the second night as well though - wouldn't have wanted to make that 3.5 hour drive the next day!   Best of luck whichever you decide!
Maureen
Dr Gross Right HR 3/12/18

grants

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:55:59 PM »
Thank you for this Maureen.  I was planning on finding a hotel close to the surgery centre if i went through with an outpatient procedure.  Nice to have that check in from Dr Gross the next day.  Nice to see it worked for you.  Inspiring that it could be an option for me.  I will likely waffle on this issue quite a bit :).

Grant

a sensation

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:25:18 PM »
I had surgery with DR. Pritchett and it was outpatient. I was groggy from the surgery, but I don't think I was there long after the procedure.

grants

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:36:07 AM »
" a sensation"  - Thanks for this.  Did you stay nearby for a couple of days?  If you don't mind me asking did you do the BHR or the Syncro Preserve?

Grant

catfriend

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
I had HR with Dr. Pritchett (synovo), but I spent the night at Swedish so I can't advise you there. I do know that Dr. P does do the surgery outpatient. If you have it early in the day, and are up and about with no issues, then why not? I agree that spending a day or two in a hotel before going home is a good idea. There are a fair number of hotels not too far from there if you go with the outpatient option, so that shouldn't be an issue.

grants

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 04:01:07 PM »
Thank you "catfriend" that's helpful.  I haven't looked into hotels nearby yet but nice to know they are there! 

I am leaning to going with the Synovo as you did.  I'm not sure why other leading hip resurfacing surgeons like Dr. Pritchett are not using this system.  It logically seems like a pretty great option as the compares to the current "gold standard" of THR - ceramic head and cross poly liner.  May be the thinkness of the poly liner but that also seems controllable between the acetabulum and the femoral head given its only a couple of mm thicker to deal with.

Do you know if Dr. Pritcheet has a registry of the Synovo Preserve - 5 or 10 year survivorship?   Maybe it could only be 5 as maybe that's how long its been around.  I forgot to ask him this when i had my consult with him.

Grant

catfriend

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »
I don't know about a registry. If you don't feel comfortable calling Dr. P about this, then I suggest calling or emailing his assistant, Susan, for the info.

grants

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »
Thanks "catfriend" that is my next step for sure. 

Cheers,
Grant

ScaredyKat

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »
Hi Grant,

I am also from the Vancouver area, and am planning to try to get much of the funding to have the surgery with Dr Pritchett. I have an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon here next week to state my case. There is a process to use for the purpose of obtaining out of Country medical care. I've had my consultation with Dr. Pritchett, and I'm really excited at the prospect of getting back on the horses pain free, let alone walking.

ScaredyKat

ScaredyKat

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
Hi again,

Just read your other questions. I spoke to Dr. Pritchett about the Synovo device. It's been in use by him for 13 years. He has no patients where the device has failed he said. Other issues, but not that. He also said he has been performing HRA's for 30 years, and some of the original patients are still going strong with them.
He was absolutely forthcoming. I've also noticed that the new implant currently being tested in London right now (Endotec H1) has a lot of similarities to the Synovo device. The sincerest form of flattery....

grants

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 04:21:00 PM »
Thanks ScaredyKat!

I saw in another post that you had your surgery.  I am scheduled with Dr. Pritchett at the end of Aug.  BC medical didn't fund anything for your surgery - correct?  I am definitely working on the thought that this is fully self funded.

What hotel did you use close to the outpatient hospital?  I am doing the same so may look at that hotel too?  Was the drive back awful?  I may try to get back the next day.  I guess getting out of the car every 30 mins or so might be a way to do it.

Amazed you were ok with just advil and tylenol. 

Grant

Glenn Urban

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »
Hi Grant...

I had Dr. Pritchett do both of my hips last year. Protocol for me was a required 3 day stay in a nearby hotel so that if any signs of infection or other problems showed, he could come visit and see what was going on. Then, a follow up within 10 days give or take was required. No way to send X-Rays from my local X-Ray store via email so he could take a look. I was told when I tried to do that the second time that sending X-rays instead of coming back for a re-look was not part of the agreement I had made. I would be surprised if the 3 day stay after the surgery had been altered, but wouldn't be surprised if the mandatory 10 day re-visit for the check-up might be altered for some people, especially if it was super inconvenient. I flew from Oakland, CA to Seattle and back the same day for each of the follow-ups. That was not too convenient.

I tried to get out of it the 2nd time, and it was no dice.

Also of note: I was attracted to Dr. Pritchett based on the number of procedures he had performed, and also at the thought of getting a device that was not metal on metal. I ended up flying up to do a "meet and greet" and found out that he recommended a BHR over the Synovo. I was puzzled at first about this, but, here I am with 2 BHR devices in my body. I have read a few posts here regarding similar situations.

I was/am very happy with the outcome of my new hip joints. You need to ask more questions of the Doc.

Glenn

ScaredyKat

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 03:27:06 AM »
Hi Grant!,

You're right, I couldn't get an ortho to put in the application for me. So no funding. Proliance has a good discount for cash though. The Bundle!

The hotel we used was the comfort Inn. It's very close and was perfect for the purpose. I made a few special requests and everything was there waiting for me.

We drove home the day after, took ziplock bags of ice from the hotel ice machine. Stopped twice, little walks, then back on the road.

The combination of one extra strength Advil and 1 extra strength Tylenol every 4-6 hours worked really well for me. Bonus is no nausea and no constipation. I gradually strung them out to every 8 hours then dropped the Advil after my 2 week check up. I stopped the Tylenol week 3. I'm at week 5 today and I only take one if I have a bad day or over do it.
 This week I stopped using my cane. lots of exercises, e-bike and walking, walking, walking! So happy I did this! Salsa Dance classes start July 9th! I'm already practicing! I have my life back! 57 and footloose gain!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat