+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stairs  (Read 2152 times)

motherof4

Stairs
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:15:03 PM »
My surgeon's office has stated after resurfacing, stairs are an absolute no go for 2 weeks, and that I should set a bed up on my ground floor.  I had hoped that my husband and son could help me down in the morning and up to the bed in the afternoon.  What has been other's experience.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Stairs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:30:46 PM »
Wow - who is your surgeon?  We were taught to do stairs 2 days after surgery. It is a must to know how to go up and down stairs. It could save your life if you were caught somewhere.  There is no problem doing stairs.  It is done with one crutch and the handrail of the stairs.  We had to do a full flight right away.  We were also 100% weight bearing as soon as we wanted to be.  I was on one crutch at 4 days.

That is the reason for getting a resurfacing - the quick recovery.  We were sightseeing in Belgium 5 days post op.  Mark the PT made me wait 5 days since I was older at 61.  We were walking long distances days after surgery.  Again, that is why you get a hip resurfacing.

Do you have some kind of special problem???

I would read some of the stories on my website and see how other people progressed.  It is very common to be walking and doing stairs very quickly.  I came home from Belgium 10 days post op and was doing 3/4 mile a day walks.  Very quickly was up to a mile a day. 

I think you should ask more questions and do more reading to know how other people did post op. 

Let me know if I can help with more info.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:49:14 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:24:54 AM »
That is shocking to me.  Everyone that I know that had resurfacing was taught how to use stairs prior to leaving the hospital.  I know my doctor will not let you leave the hospital until you have learned how to negotiate stairs.  The way they teach you is using crutches, I highly recommend the forearm type.  You go up with the good leg, down with the bad leg.  So at the bottom of the stairs, you step up with your non operated leg, then let the operated leg follow to that step.  Once both feet are firmly planted on that step, you step up again with the good leg.  Opposite on the way down, leaning on crutches step down with the bad leg followed by the good leg.  You could use one crutch and hold the handrail.  I seriously have never heard of anyone having the limitation of no stairs for two weeks.  Who is your doctor?

Vicky

motherof4

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »
Surgeon is Dr. Scheimitsch at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto. 

I have plain old osteo in right hip, am 48 and was initially diagnosed at 39, my Eastern European genes apparently make me a candidate for this type of early problem.

My physio had the same reaction, so I'm going to call and inquire again.  I'm glad to know I can do stairs, as I would prefer not to set my living room up to look like a hospital.

Thank you for your information.

motherof4

PS First ortho surgeon (total hip replacement) told me no driving for 4-6 months, car insurers wouldn't allow.  That was also untrue, maybe an overzealous legal department wanting to limit their liability in case of an accident.  Needless to say with 4 children, my mind went blank afterwards.  Had to explain to young Dr. Kildare why 4-6 months without wheels is a death threat to any mother.  Still not sure he understood.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat