0 (0%)
50% satisfied
4 (4.4%)
20 - 40% satisfied
4 (4.4%)
Wish I did not have a hip resurfacing
6 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: Poll - I am satisfied with my hip resurfacing at 1 year post op  (Read 19130 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Poll - I am satisfied with my hip resurfacing at 1 year post op
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
There has been a request for a poll to ask people how satisfied they were with their hip resurfacing.  I made up a poll and asked only people that are 1 year post op to participate.  Most people are mostly recovered at 6 months post op, but it does take at least a year to become fully recovered.  So those of you still in your post op recovery, please wait until you are one year post op to tell us how you feel about your hip resurfacing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Poll - I am satisfied with my hip resurfacing at 1 year post op
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
I would have still said "Tentatively" at 6 months. But now, at 1 year, I can unequivocally say that it is awesome, and that I would do it again without hesitation.  And, I probably will have to anyway.

Update:  I DID have the other one done 8 1/2 years later!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:17:07 AM by imgetinold »
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »
I played tennis last night for an hour and a half, with a good amount of scrambling around the court, and I didn't think about my hip even once.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

luann again

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
Great subject Pat! I am 2 and 1/2 year out now and am sooooo satisfied!!

I want to tell other hippies, though, that my 1 year ann. WAS the turning point in my HR!! That is when it really started healing and feeling stronger and great!! It has just kept feeling bettere ever since. Thanks for this awesome site Pat! We all think you're pretty special.   Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

arff2004

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
Feb,22 2013 will be my 1 year postop.  So far so good. Work as a firefighter and playing ice hockey twice week in Fort Myers, Florida.. My right resurfaced hip (dr Raterman,Tampa) does not give me any issues whatsoever.  May have to get left one done in another year or so but holding out  until I have to.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »
Congrats! great results.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jon

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »
All good here at 13+ months post-op.  Ran five miles last night in Central Park.  Steady as she goes...

Jon

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:31:34 PM by Jon »
McMinn RBHR, December 2011

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 09:35:29 AM »
That's great, Jon - keep it up.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
at about 16 months now and I can say that the better question that I ask myself often, is how I could have survived without the resurfacing.  I know that a THR would have given me relief from the pain, but I continually surprise myself with my level of activity and the lack of issues.  I feel very fortunate that I met someone who had gone through it prior to my accepting a THR as my only option.
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Jon

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
A key question for me these days is what should be a reasonable set of expectations.  A lot of us have had very active sports backgrounds, including a fair dose of impact sports (guess how we got into trouble in the first place!).

I'm feeling really well now and have started to run (just a natural interest/temptation).  The reality is, however, we don't read about or see a lot (emphasis on a lot) of post-op stories of people returning to regular routines of impact sports and, importantly in my mind, over long periods.  I'm seeing one- to three-year histories, not three to 10.

For now, I'm going to enjoy a modest diet of impact sports, on a managed basis, until I learn more...

McMinn RBHR, December 2011

Tripletmom

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »
This is my first post on this site so I'm sorry if it runs long. I had a LBHR on April 16, 2009, 4 months after having a bilateral knee replacements. My hip was a lot worse than my knees, but I needed to be able to walk to rehab the hip, so Dr Rafael Klug (Kaiser) and I decided that would be best. It took only weeks before I was out and moving easily but a year before I was back to normal energy wise. This could be because I had two major surgeries back to back.
My right hip was replaced THR in Jan 2012, now with UC Davis, Dr Paul Diceasare. My right hip is great at a bit over 1 year old. I have been very happy with the hip resurfacing, until March 2013. I found out that my LBHR will have to be revised to a total hip. My bone has opened up around the post, causing pain. I now am having Dr Pereira head of Orthopaedic Surgery at UC Davis, revise to a THR in June. I'm not looking forward to another year before I feel like riding my horses and golfing again, not to mention the weight gain. I have been working hard this last year to take off the 20 lbs I gained after the other surgeries in 2009. Wish me luck. :-[

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
This is my first post on this site so I'm sorry if it runs long. I had a LBHR on April 16, 2009, 4 months after having a bilateral knee replacements. My hip was a lot worse than my knees, but I needed to be able to walk to rehab the hip, so Dr Rafael Klug (Kaiser) and I decided that would be best. It took only weeks before I was out and moving easily but a year before I was back to normal energy wise. This could be because I had two major surgeries back to back.
My right hip was replaced THR in Jan 2012, now with UC Davis, Dr Paul Diceasare. My right hip is great at a bit over 1 year old. I have been very happy with the hip resurfacing, until March 2013. I found out that my LBHR will have to be revised to a total hip. My bone has opened up around the post, causing pain. I now am having Dr Pereira head of Orthopaedic Surgery at UC Davis, revise to a THR in June. I'm not looking forward to another year before I feel like riding my horses and golfing again, not to mention the weight gain. I have been working hard this last year to take off the 20 lbs I gained after the other surgeries in 2009. Wish me luck. :-[

Welcome to the site, but sorry you need to revise!

Did they tell you what caused the loosening around the post?  Keep us posted, welcome again.

NJDRE

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »
I had  my hip resurfaced in August of 2011. Was back to work in 6 weeks, could have been earlier but it was my right hip and was not cleared to drive. I kept up with the rehab and have done very well. Went back to skiing last winter. I STRONGLY recommend a rigid pre-operation workout routine. As much as you can take, even if it is painful it will make the recovery much quicker and easier.  I exercised religiously every day for my whole body, you don't realize how much you need your other muscles when your hip goes down. By the way, I just turned 60. You're as old as you feel.   
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:50:50 AM by NJDRE »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat