+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leg ache connected with sitting too long  (Read 5799 times)

jonnaramey

Leg ache connected with sitting too long
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:13:33 PM »
I've experienced leg ache, swelling and occasional bruising when I sit too long in an office chair working at the computer. (I'm 5 weeks out from surgery.) Is this normal? Is it stupid for me to be sitting at a deck chair too soon? All feedback appreciated.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Leg ache connected with sitting too long
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »
Hi

There is no normal - we all heal at different rates.  5 weeks post op is still early in your recovery.  I was very stiff at 6 weeks post op and did a lot of water walking which really helped.  Some people go back to work a few days after surgery while others wait weeks and weeks. 

You can only deal with what is happening to you.  If your are stiff and it hurts to sit a long time - don't do it.  Simple advice.  At least you should be getting up every hour to stretch and walk around.  You can will your way to healing, only your body controls your healing.  Obviously, you are not healed well enough to be sitting long days at the computer yet.

Try the water walking.  I have the exercises and stretches I did listed her under Water Therapy  http://www.surfacehippy.info/ptarticles.php

Be patient and eventually you will be able to sit long periods and do whatever you want.  Most healing takes about 6 months to occur, while complete healing takes a full year or more. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jim1957

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »
I'm 6 weeks post op and get the same soreness and swelling if i sit too long.  But i don't get the bruising.  If I'm in a chair for an hour, I'm very stiff when i stand up.

jonnaramey

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »
I now have a kitchen timer at my desk. I set it for 20 minutes. When it goes off, I get up and WALK or I do my PT exercises. The soreness doesn't happen now because I am paying attention. As Homer Simpson says: Doh!

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:19:36 AM »
I've experienced leg ache, swelling and occasional bruising when I sit too long in an office chair working at the computer. (I'm 5 weeks out from surgery.) Is this normal? Is it stupid for me to be sitting at a deck chair too soon? All feedback appreciated.

Don't be surprised if up to a year you experience "start up stiffness" too.  It's quite normal and many patients have experienced it.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

tedroberts

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
It was about 10 months until the start up stiffness after sitting went away.  In weaning myself off the Oxycotin after
bi-lateral resurfacing the last place I needed them was at work when I had to sit in my office chair (even though it is a nice one).

I found sitting in a recliner easier to take because the pressure is spread out but then I would sit longer and have the same result!

At my 1 year follow up my doctor said that up to a year is common.

Ted Roberts, BHR bi-lateral, Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN 1-7-09

Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

dsmile

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Don't worry. I just got through the 6 week evaluation. I still get stiff and sore when I drive beyond 30 minutes or sit for too long. Slowly but surely we will feel okay.
-Duane

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat