+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cat Skiing.....  (Read 4162 times)

powderhippy

Cat Skiing.....
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »
For those who are interested, we have a Cat Skiing company here in Durango, Colorado that is owned and guided by a bi-lat hippy. www.sanjuanski.com   The dude can rip....

BTW, skied 24" of fresh HEAVY powder today.   In that heavy stuff, no matter how steep you're going to get stuck, Pocket Rockets and all... Anyway, pulling the ski up and out gave NO problem to the Cobalt/Chrome hip..
I love gravity....best, Shelly
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

stevel

Re: Cat Skiing.....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »
Hi Shelly,

I was skiing corduroy yesterday and learning short turning techniques with a level III ski instructor, when my downhill pole plant caught my skiis and I fell hard on my left side (operated).  I'm happy to report I've had no ill effects other than some minor aching in the joint for the remainder of the day.  At the start of the lesson, he asked me what do I want to learn?  I replied to be able to ski the entire mountain: steeps, trees, moguls and off-piste with confidence.  The instructor is nursing a rotator cuff strain from a fall in the trees last year and a knee injury developed this year, but is game to lead us about the mountain.  He's age 57, I'm 56 and another student is 56.  Such is the life of an avid skiier.  As Dr. Su commented, "Enjoy your new hip!"  I'm heading up to the slopes for a day of skiing this AM to work on my new skills on the corduroy, as its clear and cold.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:18:55 PM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

powderhippy

Re: Cat Skiing.....
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:26:41 PM »
Yep Steve....Falls suck, but glad you're OK.  Early December coming out of Home Depot with the first snowfall, took one of those "feet in the air" falls. My fault as I was still in my shorts and wearing worn out sneakers. Was able to turn my butt as to not land on my hip (left as well). Scared the crap out of me. 5 days later I went for a X-Ray. Dr. Gross's nurse thought I was good to go, but had to see the device secure for myself. Solid, phewwww.
Yep, we ski long enough, the aches always follow. But the smiles get bigger after a great run, groomed or powder...we're grateful that we've got this 2nd chance with our hips... Give that instructor a good tip...!  LOL
Best Shelly
Dr. Gross
9/6/06
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat