+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Neck capsule preservation  (Read 3449 times)

tseeley

Neck capsule preservation
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »
Hi Pat or anyone else,

What do you know about the neck capsule preservation technique that Dr. Su utilizes?

Thanks,

t

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Neck capsule preservation
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:38:49 AM »
Not all the doctors do the hip capsule preservation.  I asked Vicky to respond to you since she just spent some time with Dr. Su in Florida.  Hopefully she will answer today.

Preserving the hip capsule is supposed to help prevent dislocations in the early stages of recovery from my understanding. Again, none of us are medically trained - we just pass on info we have read and know about.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

tseeley

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
what exactly is is?

tseeley

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:45:04 AM »
thanks Pat....got it. I am meeting with Dr. Su next week and want to have as much information as possible.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:53:22 AM »
The neck capsule preservation was started by Dr. Vijay Bose in India who was the doctor that did my surgery.
Be careful if you click on the link below, it describes the neck capsule and shows very graphic images of surgery.  If you are squeemish at all, do not click on the link.

http://hipresurfacingindia.com/Birmingham_HipResurface_Innovations.php

Dr. Su has adopted this method.  It is where the capsule around the neck of the femur is completely preserved.  This capsule supplies blood flow to the femur as well as protects it post surgery so the doctor does not have to limit the patents post op activities as much as many other doctors.  You will not have any 90 degree rule like most resurfacing patients and the risk of dislocation is very low.  It is thought that this will help prevent any future AVN in the patient as well since it does preserve more blood flow to the bone.  As Pat mentioned, I am no medical expert, this is just information that I have gathered.  I was fortunate enough to be able to meet Dr. Su at the conference last week and I was extremely impressed by him.  He really is a very talented surgeon and believes in resurfacing.  You will be in excellent hands.  Please say hi to Dr. Su for me.

Vicky
LBHR Dr. Bose Dec 01 05

tseeley

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 01:45:44 PM »
Thanks Vicky....i'm really happy to be hearing such great things about Dr. Su. and thanks explaining neck capsule preservation to me. I'll let you guys know how it goes after i see him next week!

t

nwugrad

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 04:47:18 PM »
I have appointments with Drs.  Mont and Su.  I meet with Dr. Mont this week but couldn't get an appointment with Dr. Su until Sept.   I have some AVN, altho not severe, so it sounds to me that preserving the capsule would be a good thing for me.  Does anyone know if Dr. Mont preserves the capsule when he performs resurfacings?  Asssuming Dr. Mont can perform the surgery in Aug or Sept., is it worth waiting to meet with Dr. Su, as he would not likely perform the surgery on me until Nov. or Dec.?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat