+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: ? About Recliner and returning home  (Read 2397 times)

tcarroll

? About Recliner and returning home
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:23:49 PM »
After my surgery and upom coming home,would it be advisable to sit in a recliner.I know you are supposed to keep your 90 degree angle.I have a wedge but it's to big,does anyone know of a place to get a wedge that would fit in the recliner to accomplish this?

Thank's

fenceman

Re: ? About Recliner and returning home
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »
The recliner was my best friend after coming home, besides my wife that waited on me hand and foot. It kept me in a very comfortable position while I was recovering.  When trying to sleep at night, I would switch between the bed and the recliner.  I was able to get a couple of hours sleep before I need to change positions. Since I couldn't roll on my side in bed I would switch to the recliner and grab a few more hours of sleep. I then would switch back to the bed. 

I did not have any 90 degree restriction. 
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Margie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 06:14:29 PM »
I found that a memory foam pillow worked well in my recliner and now I still use it on my recumbent bike. The memory foam has a higher side that is used for your neck and I put that at the back of the chair.
Good luck!
Margie
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

jack

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
After reading many many posts on this site, I borrowed a recliner to use after my upcoming surgery. We will have to store something to fit it in the living room but that's ok since it sounds like a very useful tool to use during recovery. Take some time and read the posts here..... you will learn a lot!   ;)
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

Hip-Bob

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 05:42:46 AM »
Hi

I'm just over 3 weeks post op (Right-side BHR) and my only regret is not buying a recliner for the first 2 weeks at home.  I found sleeping on my back, on a flat bed, just about impossible; extra pillows didn't work, I just kept sliding down. 

If I hadn't been given the all clear to start sleeping on my side at the 14 day mark I'd have gone out a bought one for sure.

Regards

Bob

leggy

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:31:27 AM »
This is a problem that is worrying me, I can never get to sleep on my back. I naturally lie on my right side, the hip being done is the left, will I not be able to lie on my right side for definite?
I do not have access to a recliner & cannot afford one,so it will be bed or sofa.
Anyone lie on opposite side to operation straightaway? :(

Jeff

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 08:20:10 AM »
leggy,
     Contact your Dr's office or hospital OT person and they will advise what you are allowed to do.  Usually there is a precaution for sleeping on back with wedge between legs for a length of time, but your Dr., or OT & PT can tell you best.  You can always use numerous pillows to make yourself confortable.  It doesn't take long and you will sleep regardless of habits of sleeping in other positions previously.  Elevating feet/legs while resting is good to prevent DVT

Jeff

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 02:13:48 PM »
If you dont have a recliner you will need lots of pillows.  I think it was 2-1/2 weeks before I could sleep on the non-op side.  It hurt to pull the leg on top of the other as I tried to turn on my side.  Then it was only comfortable for a couple of hours.

It was a trick to get the op leg into bed as I went from crutches to lying down.  I would sit on the bed, hook my foot under the op leg ankle, lift and spin on my butt until I had both legs in bed.  They never showed me that in PT.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat