+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Checking in after 5+ Years  (Read 2784 times)

bgibby1

Checking in after 5+ Years
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:33:44 PM »
Hello All,

Just thought I'd post a note.  I had a C+ installed in my left hip by the fabulous Dr Harold Boyd on 10/10/02 at the ripe old age of 40.

After over 5 years, I don't even think about having had a hip replacement.

I was playing golf at about 6 weeks & recovered nearly fully by 12 weeks.

Speaking of golf, I play 2-3 times a week & rarely use a cart.  My handicap is 5 & 2 weeks ago I shot my best- a 68!

I have played quite a bit of basketball as well, though sometimes I'm a little too sore the next day- don't know if that's due to the hip or just gettin a little old.

I have tried to spread the word about hip resurfacing to all who would listen.  Unfortunately, living in a rural part of the Oregon coast, there is only basically one ortho clinic & none of the docs have heard of or believe in this fantastic procedure.  I personally know 2 people in their mid 50's who asked me about & saw me recover from my replacement.  After I preached the gospel about my experience & pointed them to the available info, they were apparently dissuaded by the same doc that told me to wait until I was crawling & even suggested fusing my hip.  You would think some show like 60 mins would like to follow up some stories like that.

Enough negative.  If you're on the fence about this procedure, use my story as another example of why to JUST DO IT!

At the time, I was number 100 for Dr Boyd.  I saw him this past summer for finalization of the FDA study (my x-rays- the ones my original ortho were not interested in looking at post surgery-  were perfect) and he told me he has done over 500 MOM's with only 2 problems & those were borderline cases to start with.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to email.  I won't be checking in here very often.

Brian

C+, 10/10/02

Bandon, OR

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Checking in after 5+ Years
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:01:23 PM »
Hi Brian

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Glad to hear everything is going well for you. 

If you don't mind, I am going to post your story on my Surface Hippy Blogs and add a link to my Hip Stories page.  It is great to have stories from people with older resurfs.

Thanks again for taking time to write to everyone. I really appreciate it and I know others do to.

Good Luck. Posting your story will help tell the world about hip resurfacing even if you live on the rural coast of Oregon.  I live in rural Southeastern Ohio on the border of WV.  Not too many local people to tell here either, that's why I started the Surface Hippy Website.  We can share our stories and information with the whole world.

I wanted to remind you that this website Surface Hippy is not the Yahoo Surface Hippy Discussion Group. That still exists, I belong to it and often post stories with permission on it over here on my website.  If you mistakenly thought you were at the Yahoo Group, you might want to post over there too. There are now over 6000 members and they love stories about long term Hip Resurfacing survivors.

Good Luck!

Pat
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:09:48 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dennis

Re: Checking in after 5+ Years
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:57:37 AM »
Brian,

Would you please tell me about the symptoms you were expeiencing when you opted for the surgery?

I am sold on resurfacing, I'm just trying to decide how long I can OR should put it off.  I'm still getting along pretty well, despited being told that my right hip is bone on bone.  The orthos are amazed at my activity level and how little pain I experience.

Thanks,
Dennis

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat