+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post Op Weight Bearing Instructions  (Read 2108 times)

motherof4

Post Op Weight Bearing Instructions
« on: November 18, 2007, 09:32:44 PM »
I have my surgery on Wednesday, hooray.  During my pre-op group consultation at the hospital, there was some mention, although never clarified (because the meeting was geared toward full hip replacement and not resurfacing) that for several weeks post op, I should be on crutches with feather weight bearing on the operated leg.  This seems extreme, and I wondered what instructions people have received from their surgeon/physiotherapist.

motherof4

Steve_R

Re: Post Op Weight Bearing Instructions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:04:51 AM »
I've not had my surgery yet but I'm sure I've been told technically its weight bearing straight away but I believe its due to everything settling and building itself stronger that things need to be taken carefully. Some surgeons believe in arm crutches and others in walking sticks.

If anyone knows better please correct me.

Steve

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Post Op Weight Bearing Instructions
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 07:40:09 AM »
Part of the weight bearing restriction would normally be becasue you have a difficult or severe hip problem.

Normal hips with OA when resurfaced and full weight bearing from the begining.  Of course, you just can't really do that - but it doesn't take too many days before you can walk with most of your weight on the hip.

I went to Dr. De Smet in Belgium and the overseas doctors are not conservative like the new US doctors.  I was on one crutch at 4 days, full weight bearing and doing steps.

By 10 days post op I was walking about 3/4 mile with one crutch.  Marc the PT actually had me walk without a crutch to show me how much I was limping.  You can stand on your leg full out when just standing.   De Smet rule was no crutch/s when you are not longer limping.

We used elbow crutches which I really like.

You just have to talk with your own doctor and see what they want.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat