+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery Date is Set  (Read 5411 times)

takilasunrise

Surgery Date is Set
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
I have set up my surgery appt.!  I will have the resurfacing done on Jan. 22, 2008.  I have 2 pre-op appts. with my regular doctor and then the ortho. surgeon who will be performing the surgery 1 week in advance.  I am very excited but also very nervous.  A co-worker just returned to work this week after having a knee replacement.  She had hers done on 9/11/07.  She told me about her anethesia, where they do an epidural and sedation.  I asked her if she heard anything.  She said no, she doesn't remember anything.  I was glad to hear that!  I just can't imagine having to listen to any type of sawing or drilling or hammering!   :o  I will come back and report my surgery and post-op story. 

What kind of anesthesia was used for all of your surgeries?  If you have stairs in your home, how did you manage them your first week home?  I have an older 2-story home.  There is only one bathroom and it is upstairs.  I've been trying to figure out which floor I should live on my 1st week home.  I have heard some suggestions of sleeping in a recliner when you're first home, which I do have (built into my couch in the living room).  But, the bathroom is upstairs.  If I stay upstairs in the bedroom, I will have access to the bathroom, but I'm concerned about sleeping in a regular bed the first few nights.  Has anyone else had any issues such as these?  My husband will be home (winter lay-off), so I will have help.  What assistance type of items is a must to have for recovery at home?  Also, what kind of physical therapy and how soon and how much after surgery did you have to do? 

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips and suggestions!  Good luck to anyone that will be having the surgery in the near future!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Surgery Date is Set
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 01:23:46 PM »
Hi
Congratulations on your surgery date.  I started a topic for you so your posts won't be hidden down deep in the last topic.

I can only tell you about my surgery with Dr De Smet in Beligum.  I had a general anasthesia and I told them I did not want to remember anything or did not want to get sick since I get nauseated so easily. They gave me a sleeping pill the night before and I don't remember a thing until late until the day of my surgery when it was all done.  I had no pain and don't remember if I used the morphine pump or not.

You need to tell them what you want - that way you get it.

You should also ask your doctor what his/her post op protocol is for resuming activities, work and PT.  Each doctor has their own idea about what they think is best. 

I left the hospital 2 1/2 days after surgery and returned to the Holiday Inn.  I slept in a regular bed that was a little higher to make it easier to get in and out.  Marc the PT also had me put about 4 large pillows under my legs so they were elevated when I slept.  Nose above the Toes - is the saying in Belgium.  No TEDS at night. The first few nights are the most uncomfortable.  I could not sleep in my recliner until I got home which was 11 days post op.  All the time in Belgium I used a regular bed with pillows.  Sorta like a lounge chair.  About 6 days out, I was able to start to sleep on the unoperated side with a pillow between my legs. That helped if only for an hour or two.  The heprin shots seem to keep me awake a night. Once I stopped them at 14 days, I started to sleep well.  In the meantime, I would just wake up, move around maybe take a trip to the bathroom and then go back to sleep.  You just learn to go with the flow until things get back to normal.

They teach you how to do stairs in the hospital.  So if you need to go up and down the stairs - you are able to.  You could spend most of the day upstairs during the first few days and only go downstairs for awhile.  After a few days, you will be able to do the stairs - slowly - but doable without any great pain.  Most people don't have great pain a few days after surgery. There are a few exceptions, but you can hope you will be getting along well.

Here is a list of things most people want or need  http://www.surfacehippy.info/pcwhatwillineed.php

About the only thing I needed was the toilet riser. If I needed to pick something up off the floor - I put my newly operated leg in back of me and bent down with my good leg using my crutch or table , etc for support. That way you don't break the 90 degree rule if your doctor has one.

Hips are normally much easier to recover from than knee replacements.

It will be nice to have your hubby there, but he won't have to do much.  Getting meals is always nice!  tieing your shoes and helping you with socks is what my husband did the most of. 

Good Luck and keepin touch!

Pat Webmaster/Owner Surface Hippy
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:15:44 AM »
Hi,

congratulations on getting your surgery date. I had my resurfacing just short of 3 weeks ago and came home on day 5. Please don't worry about the stairs, you get advise how to do it before you leave hospital, and it is no problem at all, really! I had my raised toilet seat put upstairs even though we have a toilet downstairs too. I figured it was easier to go up the stairs in the day than down in the night, and from day 1 at home I was going up and down stairs several times without a worry. You just need to take your time initially, but that applies to everything. We have quite a high bed and by the time I got home I was able to get into it without help. My husband was home for a week and a half and as with Pat's husband his main duty was help with socks and shoes! I was able to cook a simple (quick) meal after about 4 days at home and even did a bit of ironing! (that's how bored I got!)
This will be the best thing you ever do I'm sure. Even at this early stage I feel like I'm getting my life back, and any aches and pains I get, I know are going to go away, whereas I was getting worse every day before the surgery.

Good luck

Maggie

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:08:21 AM »
Hi Maggie

Congratulations to you on your new hip!

If you tell me a little more about who your doctor was, why you choose him/her, how you were right after surgery, etc - I would be happy to post your story.  I like to post as many stories as possible. 

Reading real life stories gives people really good info and then they know what to expect after surgery.

If you don't want to give me more info - that's ok too.

I hope you continue to have a great recovery.  Think what a great spring you will have with a new hip!

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Maggie

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:43:23 AM »
Hi Pat

I already posted my story with you and you have it in the hip blogs too! I'm in the UK, and had my surgery with Prof Richardsons team.

I will get around to updating my story next week, but I'm pleased to say I am just back from my longest walk alone, about 3/4 mile. The weather is bad here so not great for being outdoors, but I'm trying to be out every day if I can.

Thanks for your help and support to all us hippies!

Maggie

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »
Hi Maggie

I am getting old and forgetful.  I talk to so many people and post so many stories - I sometimes get confused.  :o

Thanks for your story, I remember now when I looked it up. 

I understand, walking is not as fun in the cold, wet weather.  It was 6 degrees here in Ohio this morning.  I did not walk!

Good Luck.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ronnie

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 09:14:29 AM »
I am 1 week post op. There is the 3+1 toilt seat like in the hospital u can carry it from floor to floor not u your husbad. It is also weider then the raised and felt better on my sore butt, as i don't have much cushion.I set up a recliner to sleep in but did not use it for sleep. Getting in and out of bed was a little tough but u need to use those mucles.

takilasunrise

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips and advice!  I haven't been back here lately because of the birth of my grandson and the holidays.  My surgery date is coming up quick, so I'm trying to get all my "ducks in a row" and wanted to check back in and find out about everything I can.  I am starting to get real nervous.  I wasn't this nervous before my hysterectomy.  ???  I am shopping for the toilet seat riser now.  And probably some kind of grab bar for the toilet/bathtub.  My toilet and bathtub are right next to each other, so I'm hoping we can install the bar on the tub and it will work for both functions.  I am glad to hear the stairs haven't been an issue for those that replied.  I don't care for sleeping on my back all that much, so I'm not looking forward to that.  It will be nice when I can actually sleep longer through the night.  I wake up every hour or two to turn over and of course the pain I have now wakes me up, so I'm looking forward to sleeping longer periods of time (but I guess that won't be for another month or two.......).

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »
Hi

Congratulations on your new grandson!

Just think - you will have a great new hip and be out of pain by the time he starts crawling around.  You will be able to chase after him and even pick him up when you heal.

It is wonderful to be out of pain. Not enough words to explain it.  I did sleep well for years.  You will probably not sleep well for a few weeks after surgery - but then it will get better.  A lot of people use some meds at night or a sleeping pill to get better slep.  I did a lot of snoozing in my lounge chair, even in the middle of the night.

I was able to lay on my unoperated side with a pillow between my legs about 8 days post op.  I was very comfortable by several weeks post op on my unoperated side.  If you use lots of pillows under you legs - it is much more comfortable to sleep on your back.  Dr. De Smet always said - toes above your nose.  Keeping your feet and legs elevated helps prevent swelling.

I had a grab bar installed and still use it because I have back problems.  It takes so little for me to throw my back out. So I often use the grab bar.  Not a bad thing to have as you get older anyways.  I can't remember if you are young or old, but I am 63 and like it.  Great when my 85 year old Mom visits too.

I just used the cheap $20 version of the toilet riser.  I felt it really helped.  The cheap ones usually are too small for larger men. 

Keep in touch.  You will have a new hip soon.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 05:52:27 PM »
I am so looking foward to a new hip!  And being able to chase after my grandson (and the 3 dogs and my gardening and riding the motorcycle, etc.)!  It will be awesome to be out of pain!  I am 44 years old, so I'm not quite ready to get "old" just yet, though I feel like it now!  LOL!  I guess I better add a couple of new pillows to my list, since my husband doesn't like to share his 4 or 5 pillows that he already has!  :)  I'm wishing I had a walk-in shower, but I only have a step-up-and-in bathtub, so the grab bar will be a must!  I'm not too large but I'm not small either, so hopefully the average "cheap" toilet riser will work.  Luckily, I have a high-rise bed so that will be nice.  My only obstacle will be the stairs, which sounds like you can perfect pretty quick.  I will just have to pay attention to my 2 Jack Russell Terriers when I go up and down since they have to follow me everywhere!  Too bad I couldn't teach them to put my socks on for me instead of my husband!  Thanks for this great forum! 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:26:50 PM »
You are welcome. I hope this group helps lots of people.  Sharing information is always helpful.

I came home to 16 dogs after my hip resurfacing.  Of course, I was already 10 days post op since I had to stay in Belgium for awhile.  We used the elbow crutches and those along with moving rather slowly and differently, kept the dogs pretty much away from me.  I did not have anyone jump up on me.

They should teach you to do the stairs soon after surgery.  You probably won't have to go up and down the stairs a lot in the first few days because you will be very, very tired and want to sleep a lot.  Again, it is not a problem with doing one hip.

You should be on the motorcycle next summer and on the floor with the dogs.  A bad hip can make you feel really, really old.

Good Luck and let us know if you need more info.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

momzer2

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
Hello "Takilasunrise"

I'm a recent BHR and am a 'neighbor'.  I am located just south of you in Northern Illinois (Machesney Park).  I am 48 and had my hip done 9/17/07 and I am doing super!!  I am very active and had no trouble at all post-op.  I came home on the 3rd post-op day and went down a flight of 12 stairs that very day (more than once actually).  Get a cane!!  They are lightweight and super easy to use.  The hospital PT people will teach you how to do stairs--remember the saying "Good ones go to heaven (good hip when going up stairs)  Bad ones to hell, start down stairs with 'bad' hip (although it isn't bad anymore!!!).  Works like magic.  I did not have any trouble with stairs.  Just take your time and ALWAYS grip the handrail.  I also could do my socks myself--the PT gal gave me assistive devices-sock putter-onner.  haha.   ;D  and a gripper tool to pick up stuff off of the floor and it helps you put on pants, etc.  It was a life saver.  I slept in bed from day one at home.  Sleep on the side that allows you to get in bed on the operated side, that way your stronger side can push off the floor.  The first few days home are the roughest.  You think about every move in and out of bed, etc.  But within a week you'll be so much better you won't believe it.  I didn't have any Lovenox or Heparin except the first day post-op.  I was up every 2 hours to empty my bladder.  I guess I was so active that my surgeon felt it wasn't needed.  I also did leg excercises in bed constantly from day 1.  It sounds like you are an active person, too.  I think that your level of fitness before surgery does help a person. 

Also, I would like to offer a few 'mistakes' that I made.  I didn't have much of an appetite in the hospital.  I normally drink coffee each morning and I just couldn't stomach much of anything the first 2 days.  I drank sprite.  It tasted good.  I was never nauseated, just no appetite.  But on day 3 I got a terrible headache--then it occurred to me that I should be drinking something with caffeine.  So I switched to diet Coke and my headache was gone in a couple of hours.  Don't neglect caffeine if your body is used to it!!  Also, when you get home keep using ice on and off.  It really helps with the discomfort.  And you don't have to have swelling for it to help!!  Any swelling I had was pretty much gone by the time I went home. 

Hope this helps!!

Karen LBHR Barba 9-17-07

Steve_R

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
Good Luck and all the best with everything :-)

Steve (LBHR 10th Jan 08)

Ronnie

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »
Good luck All i can say is i'm 5 weeks in and all is well. The 3+1 seat can also be used to sit in the bath tub insted of a shower chair. All around my time is alot better then i thought. I was put out completly and did not have that sore throat problem. I have a lot of ans. fresh in my head if u need to ask. But just know my Doctor is very conservitve

takilasunrise

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
Thanks, neighbor Karen, for your advice and tips!  You make it sound like it wasn't too bad at all.  I hope that's the case for me, too.  Yes, I am a coffee drinker, so I will make sure to drink the right stuff to avoid those headaches (I get them if I sleep in too late on the weekends).  I think I already take the stairs the way you are describing because it's less painful!  My husband or daughter will be my "sock assistant". 

Did you all have to follow the 90 degree rule and for how long?  Did you find that you would go past it more often than not?  Is it really necessary to get a chair for bathing/showering?  I have a raised toilet seat with handles on order.  Should I get the cane in advance, or is this something you get from the hospital or doctor?

According to the date for Steve_R, he just had his.........I hope yours went well!  Let us know!   

Ronnie

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »
I just got back from the doctors 6 week visit. All is well he took x-rays and gave me the ok for work and full weight. 90 degrees is ok gut do not bring my knees to my chest
                              good luck

takilasunrise

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 09:23:15 AM »
That's great news, Ronnie!  Of all the recovery you've gone through so far, what has been your worse thing to deal with, and what was better than expected?  Do you think you would have been ready to go back to work (depending on what you do) at 4 weeks?  That is my goal, since my work's disability only gives you one month of full pay, then it drops down to two/thirds after that. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »
Great News Ronnie.

I hope you recovery continues to go well and you will soon forget all about your hip surgery.  That actually happens gradually - it almost seems like a dream.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

momzer2

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »
Takila:

I did not ever use a shower chair.  The only difficulty was washing my feet, but what I did was after I was done washing everywhere else I would drop my washcloth onto the shower floor  and step on it and use the other foot to help 'wash'.  It was pretty easy...plus how dirty do feet get when they're in sneakers???  Anyway, I had to keep my 90 degree rule for the first 2 weeks post-op.  It really wasn't hard.  Even in PT we rarely broke it except with certain stretching (which my PT gal knew how far she could go since she attended a special BHR seminar put on by my surgeon last fall).  I didn't have a special potty 'chair' lift seat either.  I just made sure I extended my operated leg out front before I sat down and kept it out until after I stood.  My biggest problem was sitting on a firm chair.  Most of my pain was in the middle of the operated buttock side.  I felt like I had been kicked by a really BIG HOOFED elephant!!  haha   :o    Hey, your surgery date is two days away.  Congrats.  You'll do fine.  Just stay mobile, listen to your body, eat healthy, rest, ice your hip!!!, take pain meds as you need to.  See you on the 'other side'.   ;D   Good luck, I'll be thinking of you...

Karen

takilasunrise

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »
Tomorrow is the day!  We have to get up at 3:00 AM so we can be at the hospital (50 minutes away) by 5.  My surgery is scheduled for 6:30 AM.  I'm getting more nervous by the minute.  I hope I can get some sleep tonight, but like my hubby said, you'll get plenty of sleep this coming week!  Karen's experience doesn't sound too bad.  I spoke with an occupational therapist Friday when I had my pre-op appt.  She taught me some of the stuff in order to follow the "hip" rules.  It was kind of cute; she would tell me how to do something, then she would say, "well, you may not even need to do that.  I keep forgetting you're not one of my "older, frail" patients!"  LOL!  You're giving me lots of hope, Karen!  I guess a pain in the "rear" isn't much worse then what I've been feeling!  I'm going grocery shopping tonight and I'm going to buy a couple of cheap bags of frozen peas to use as my ice packs!  I'm sure I'll get some strange looks from my family, but if it works, it works!  I'm glad the 90 degree rule isn't too hard.  I've been thinking about it as I moved through my house this weekend, and I realized you do go past it a lot!  The only thing I've bought was the toilet seat riser because it is hard enough getting up from it when you're not in pain!  I can give it to my mom when I'm through with it.  (What a gift to your mom, huh?  LOL). 

Thanks for your good luck wishes and I will see you "on the other side"!  Hopefully, I will be back posting this weekend. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat