+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: On the other side.....and loving it!  (Read 2364 times)

Gavin

On the other side.....and loving it!
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:20:08 AM »
Hello all

After what seems a very long time, firstly grappling with the pain,going through the investigations then being diagnosed with OA and finding the need for a couple of hip replacements,I'm at last on the "other side".
Came through a bilateral BHR this past Monday.Dr Hugh Blackley here in Auckland New Zealand performed the op. and I couldn't be more pleased.Day 3 after the operation see's me at home remarkably free of pain and discomfort and looking forward to regaining my previously active lifestyle.
Of course I'm not exactly feeling like over extending myself but don't feel like I have too many restrictions either.I intend taking the first few weeks relatively easy letting the body rebuid itself.
In due course I'll put together a more detailed blog of the whole expereince.
After spending the last few months reading and digesting much of the information Pat and others have put together on this site it will be great to give something back for the benefit of others in a similar situation.

Regards

Gavin ;D

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: On the other side.....and loving it!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 03:41:18 PM »
Congratulations Gavin!!  You are a real hippy now with 2 hip resurfacings! ;D

I am glad to hear things are going well for you.  Many people are able to be quite normal and live pretty well in their early recoveries if they just take it easy.

I am glad to hear you don't have a lot of pain.  Many of us are lucky that way - while others seem to  need a lot of pain meds after.

If you would like to blog your own story, stop over on the Surface Hippy Blogs
and sign up.  I will add Dr. Blackley for you so you can post in his category.

If not, just post here and I will transfer your story for you.  Bi-lat stories are always inspiring to others.

Good Luck!  I hope your recovery continues to go quick and easy.

Pat
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:04:11 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gavin

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 08:04:01 PM »
Pat

Progress continues to get better and better.Only a few little issues mainly due to feeling so good and trying to do too much!
I have duly submitted a Blog  headed Simultaneous Bilateral BHR.
As time goes on I will keep things updated with progress.Needless to say I just couldn't be more happy. ;D
I fully realize that it's early days for me with a lot of healing and PT to go.Quite frankly I wouldn't change a thing.

Gavin

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 11:07:55 PM »
Gavin

Thanks for posting your story. I know other people will be interested in it.  I will put a link to it from my main website page of Hip Stories.

The one thing Dr. De Smet always told us - do less than you think you can.  Don't get carried away early on.  You can end up with extra pain and possibly swelling.

You have all summer ahead of you to push yourself to the max.

You will find yourself hitting plateaus - I hit one around six weeks and then really felt better and a big one around 6 months.  You will find you go up and down - but always keep heading towards feeling better.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM