+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone gone to a Texas Dr?  (Read 3940 times)

ccraver

Anyone gone to a Texas Dr?
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:25:23 AM »
Anyone gone to a Tx Dr? I have a friend that says she would go to the Drs that have performed the most resurfacings and the Tx ones haven't done that many. Just curious..

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Anyone gone to a Texas Dr?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:45:42 AM »
Hi

There are acutally a handful of hip resurfacing surgeons in TX with 3 over 100 hip resurfacings already.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#Texas

I try to normally list surgeons that have 100 hip resurfacings or more.  Sometimes patients are so happy with their doctors that they want them listed, so I do that.  I make sure to put a statistic for each doctor so you can tell how many hip resurfs they have done.

You friend's thinking is like many of us surface hippies - we want to use experienced surgeons since there is a steep learning curve for hip resurfacing. Some of the studies on my website incidate that a surgeon needs at least 100 resurfacings to become experienced.  Personally, after having my hip done and reading info for 3 years, I want a surgeon with hundreds and thousands if possible. That's why I choose Dr. De Smet with over 3000 hip resurfacings.

There is about a 4% chance of problems currently in the US with hip resurfacing, so the more expereinced doctor you use - the better chance you have for a good outcome.
http://www.surfacehippy.info/vmbhrhistoryinfo.php

Good luck and let us know if we can help with any other information.

Pat
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:11:27 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jill W

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »
I was resurfaced by Dr. Grecula in Galveston, Texas on 12/17/2007.  Dr. Grecula participated in the Conserve+ Clinical trials so I know he has several years of experience with resurfacing.  He uses the BHR now, but also has limited access to the Conserve+, which is pending FDA approval.  Although I live in Houston, and only a few miles from the medical center, where there are several doctors that are performing resurfacings, I chose Dr. Grecula because I began seeing him before the BHR was approved. I believe he has done more total resurfacings than any of the Houston docs (because of the trials), but I don't know this for sure.  A friend of mine was just resurfaced by Dr. Ken Mathis (in Houston) last week and she is very pleased.  I think Dr. Stocks has completed the most resurfacings in Houston.

Dr. Grecula is a wonderful doctor.  His recovery protocol is very conservative, but he truly wants to make sure his patients do not have any complications. 

Jill W

needahip

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:35:45 PM »
I could be mistaken, but it seems that Terri (listed on the post above) went to a Dr. Schmitt of Michigan, not Dr. Schmidt of Fort Worth.

However, I was also considering Dr. Schmidt or Dr. Crofford of Fort Worth... anyone have further info. on these doctors?
I will be checking out the doctors in Houston also.

Thanks to Pat for this informative site.

rlm869

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
i went to dr. john evans in san antonio. still under 100 i think, but very experienced and very knowledgeable.
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

Big Bill

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 07:53:18 PM »
Hi ...I go in for resurfacing on 7/9. My surgeon is Dr Stefan Kreuzer at Memorial Bone & Joint in Houston. He has done 50 resurfacings to date. He does the anterior approach(see the animated video on his website) and is using the Cormet device. He has trained with others, like Birmingham, but is currently using the Cormet. It was FDA approved 7/07 is is gaining popularity. Do some more homework if you have ths time ! Best of luck!

Big Bill

diverguy

• DiverGuy
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »
I'd like to add Dr. Richard Schubert at the Carrell Clinic in Dallas.  He's done 100+ BHRs.
I had my left hip done by him on July 8th...

/Mike

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 07:36:50 PM »
Hi Diver Guy

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I will need to know Dr. Schuberts office info, email info, website info, when and where he trained to place him on my list.  I also ask the doctors to give Surface Hippy a courtesy link on their websites.

If he wants to drop me an email with his info, I would be happy to talk with him and add him to the list as long as he has done 100 full hip resurfacings. 

I hope you are doing well.  Give us an update when you have a chance.

I wish you the best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat