+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leg length post op HELP!  (Read 6888 times)

anniepannie

Leg length post op HELP!
« on: January 28, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »
Hi I had my surgery on Jan 10,2008.  I am 36 years old and have severe arthritis in both hips.  My recovery has been great however the resurfaced side ( left ) is considerably longer and I am very worried.  My doctor says after a few months it will be ok but I'm wondering if I should get a lift so I dont get in the habit of limping.  I am also worried that if I use a lift I wont heal properly.  I have heard this is a result of tilting the pelvis? The doctor also said it is because my right side is very damaged.  I plan on having the other side done in around 1 year after my left side gets strong.  I would appreciate any advice.   Thanks-   Annie

This site is great btw!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:08:28 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Leg length post op HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »
Hi Annie

You are experience the "my leg is too long" syndrome that many, many other hippies experienced.  Some measured, complained, talked to their doctors and complained some more to finally find out - eventually it will feel normal. 

You are very early in your recovery and should not be worrying about a leg too long at this point.  You hip is swollen up and there is much healing to do.  It just takes time.

Many people feel that same as you do - their leg was to long and spent a lot of time worrying about it.  I would believe your doctor and if he/she thinks things are OK, then concentrate more on your recovery. 

Don't worry - it won't do any good anyways.  If you are still complaining about your leg being too long 4 or 6 months from now - then you probably would have a reason to worry or find out what is slow in healing.

Let you body heal and your mind be relaxed.  We all limped for at least 4 - 6 weeks and some longer.  It just takes time.

Keep in touch.  Glad the website is helpful.  You story and information will help others.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

momzer2

Re: Leg length post op HELP!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »
Annie,

Well, I had the same issue as you.  I SWORE my operated leg was too long.   :o  My doctor just smiled and said that it wasn't, it's just a perception due to swelling, etc.  I decided to trust him and in another week or so guess what---yep, it was fine.  I think it felt that way for 4-5 weeks.  Then one day I didn't notice it anymore.  I also talked to another 'hippie' that had the same sensation.  Hope it helps to know that you aren't really lopsided!!

Karen

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat