+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 2513 times)

takilasunrise

What do you think?
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:39:57 AM »
I am one week and one day post-op.  I have had a couple of people mention to me, including the physical therapist that I saw yesterday, that "I will never be the same; I will never be like I used to".  Kind of a depressing thought, since I'm still dealing with the pain of the surgery.  I came to the conclusion from the reading that I did for resurfacing that the majority of people were able to go back to the things they used to do.  What are your thoughts? 

Marni

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:25:06 PM »
Hi

Don't let other people that never had hip resurfacing discourage you.

You will return to the life you use to have.  Most of us have.  I still can't do everything I want because the rest of the arthritis in my 63 year old body still bothers me.  My hip, however, is just like new.  I can't even tell I have a metal hip, other than the scar.

Don't be discouraged.  You are very early in recovery.

Hang in there - talk to us.  We have been there and done that - don't believe the PT people.  They hardly ever see hip resurfacing patients. I did some extra PT when I got back from Belgium and they only kept me several sessions.  They said they simply did not know what to do with me since I was so far ahead of what most THR people would be at the same stage of recovery.

Hang in there.  You are an offical Surface Hippy and it only gets better and better and better.  Give it some time.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 05:04:26 AM »
Hey Marni,
hi from the UK! No, you won't be the same again, You'll be BETTER!!!! I am nearly 11 weeks post op and it has changed my life totally, I tell everyone that I feel 50 years younger, which is an achievement at 45........the thing is before the resurfacing I felt 85 and now I feel like I did 10 years ago before my hip started to really let me down! Here in Britain I think the surgeons are probably less conservative than in the US, they concentrate on what you can do, not what you can't. I didn't get any PT, I was just told to get up and walk about on it, walking is the best thing for a resurfaced hip. I have started to do some strenghtening exercises now because my muscles are weak, not just from the surgery but from a long time with limited mobility. Apart from still being so excited and happy at not having constant mind numbing pain and exhaustion, I kind of forget I now have a metal hip, because it feels so normal! I'm sure you'll do just fine, listen to your body and do what it lets you do when you feel like doing it. My surgeon reckons you carry on getting better for a whole year, so by next November I'll feel like a teenager again!

Pat - I will update my story very soon, I'm just so busy getting on with life that I keep forgetting to do it! Thank you and everyone else on the site for their help and support - we all appreciate it very much.

Good luck Marni, let us know how you get on

Maggie

rotag

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:34:42 AM »
Your doctor is correct, you will not be the same.  You will be so much better.  I know I echo the other comment, but at 10 weeks today...I am doing GREAT.  My pain, for all those many years, and my leg that I dragged around as is turned outward, with about a 1% ROM, and constant shooting groin pains, knee pains etc, are basically gone.  I have a 45-50% ROM now, and my therapist figures we can get to about 70%.  Will I have the hip and range of motion that I would have if I had not had osteoarthritis, NO...but those were the cards I was delt. I had the surgery and I am so much better than I was before.  Listen to your body in the healing and you will be a happy camper as time goes by.

momzer2

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »
Hello Marni:

Congrats on your new hip!!  Hey, I know right now is still kind of tough, but you'll be sooooooo much better than before surgery.  I'm 4 1/2 months post-op and I am almost 110%.  I can walk, bend over, squat, etc. with NO PAIN.  How can that be bad!!   ;D  Don't let those kind of comments get you down.  You are gonna be so 'normal' (teehee) that it'll scare you.  haha    I feel so good that I am 'chomping at the bit' to start running again.  It is hard when I'm out walking my 3 miles not to start 'trotting'!!!  But I'm gonna follow doc's rules and wait til 3/17/08.  So keep your chin up.....you're gonna be just fine.  Isn't it cool to walk without the old pain??   Keep us informed to your progress.  Next week you'll be 50% better than yesterday!

Karen
3/17/07 LBHR Barba

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat