+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recovery  (Read 1956 times)

xeyeofnewt

Recovery
« on: February 06, 2008, 06:23:10 PM »
I am another newbie, male, 47, 5'7" ,190.   The cartilidge and joint space was gone.   Too much hockey, golf, etc.  I can't run, jump, dance, etc.  My 12-year old was taunting me, coming up to six inches away, slapping me on the head, and dashing off in glee.  Something had to be done.

So I had BHR on my right hip in Royal Oak, MI on 1-29-08.   My doctor told me the surgery went very well.   I guess I would agree. 

Overall, the worst thing I have had to deal with is anxiety, although Valium has been prescribed, I didn't want to go down that slippery slope.  Pain isn't that bad at all, and since at came home I haven't taken any "for pain as needed" pills.  And I have to give myself blood thinner injections once day for 10 days.  I never thought my beer belly would ever be of any use.

I am doing my prescribed exercises and these are getting easier each day.  However, as walking is concerned, I am still very wobbly and I need a walker to get around.    I have to use a cane to get up and down the stairs, but I can't take many steps without that damn walker.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Recovery
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:27:49 PM »
Hi xeyeofnewt

Most people uses crutches or some aid for 3-4 or more weeks.  People going overseas use elbow crutches.  They are much easier to use than regular under the arm crutches.  I along with the 8  people I was with were on 1 crutch at day 4 post op.  I could not walk without it or I would limp very badly or fall over.  The crutch ends up really being more for balance than weight support. By about day 11 post op I was home and walking about 3/4 mile a day with one crutch.  I could not think of trying to do that with a walker.

Maybe your doctor will move you from the walker to a crutch soon. It is much easier on one crutch.  You use the crutch like a cane opposite your operated leg moving it forward and you step forward. Then planing it just before your foot touches the ground.

A cane doesn't offer much support until you are well along in your recovery.

You are really early in your recovery.  I would just take it easy and go with the flow.  If you can walk - then walk with the walker or crutch.  If not, don't push yourself.

Most overseas doctors don't use walkers unless there is a special problem.  Maybe you should ask your doctor when you can use a crutch instead.

Many of us did not need heavy pain meds after leaving the hospital.  I just took Advil for the sore muscles and incision pain.

Good luck, stay in touch and forget the valium, it might make you dizzy and you will have more problems trying to walk.

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ronnie

Re: Recovery
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:38:27 AM »
xeyeofnewt
               I am 50 now and my doctor kept me on crutches for six weeks. After six weeks Day of my 50th birthday he said walk go to work . I could not believe how well i walked. This week i went back to the gym. Half hour on the machines and i'm doing the weights light of course. The beer belly is not much bigger than mine 5"7" 182 lb's It Takes time it pays off. Also use the crutch to trip the little begger when they taunt you.
        Good luck From N.Y. Ronnie      OP.12/05

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal