+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: A couple questions...  (Read 2219 times)

pumpkin

A couple questions...
« on: February 12, 2008, 05:04:11 PM »
My husband who is 40, will be going in for hip resurfacing in a few weeks and I have a couple questions...

1.  What are some things that you couldn't do without when you got home?  I am looking for anything that will help him be comfortable.  Like, were you in bed a lot, would a bed tray be necessary for food?  Things like that.  Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

2.  Does anyone know of any fireman who had this done and were able to go back to work?

john

Re: A couple questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »
Hi,

Even with being off my leg for 6 weeks, which I have learned is a very conservative order order from a Doctor, I was able to get up and eat at the table using the walker. However, my wife and I went out and bought a higher, padded sturdy office type chair with arms to use at the dinner table and computer so as to not violate the 90 degree rule. One of those grabber/reacher things is a necessity as is the plastic sock puller and I like the shoe horn even now. Kids got me a plastic tray/table for the laptop so it didn't heat up laying on my lap in bed while I was watching DVD's. The toilet seat height extender was a necessity, with splash-guard thing. I found it helped me a lot to get back into doing light free weights on the bed. Reading this website was a big help too. He won't believe how good he will feel in a couple months. According to the PT I see now worries about dislocation are a thing of the past after 6 weeks. Good luck

John

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:43:22 PM »
Hi
Welcome to Hip Talk.

Here is a list I put together that might help http://www.surfacehippy.info/pcwhatwillineed.php

The most important for me was my toilet riser, my crutches and my husband.  He put my TEDS and shoes and socks on for me. 

I took a lot of naps both in bed and in my recliner.  While I was in Belgium for 9 days, I used a bunch of pillows under my legs while I was in bed.  I did not wear TEDS at night and needed to keep my legs elevated.  Toes above the nose is Dr. De Smets suggestion.

We were taught to do stairs the second day.  I was able to bend down by putting my operated leg in back of me and stooping forward with my good leg and some support from my crutch, chair, counter or whatever. 

Most people are quite mobile by the time they leave the hospital.  We all went to the resturant for all three meals - down the elevator and thru the long halls.  So there was no need for bedside tables or anything like that.

It is always nice to have a wife or husband around to help, but many peopel have gone to India and Belgium by themselves and managed quite well for 10 days - 2 weeks.  So you won't have to wait on your hubby too much.

He will mostly be just tired out and wanting lots of naps. Many people don't sleep well for a few weeks.  Some use sleeping pills and others just spend a lot of time in a recliner at night.  I was able to sleep on my good side after about 5 days post op with a pillow between my knees.  That helpes a lot to be able to get off your back.

Some people use ice packs or a frozen bag of peas. I did not have any swelling, but some people do.

We had waterproof bandages and were able to shower and get into the pool for therapy right away.  If your hubby doesn't get waterproof bandages, you can get them at the drug store. Makes taking a shower much easier.

I do know of several fireman from the Yahoo Surface Hippy Discussion Group that have had hip resurfacing and returned to work.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

john

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 09:42:16 PM »
My wife just reminded me that one of those shower seats was pretty helpful at first too

pumpkin

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »
Thanks for the info.  This really helps.

anniepannie

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 06:49:26 PM »
Hi I am 36 and had my hip resurfaced on Jan 10.  Most things were provided by my insurance company.  My walker, raised toilet seat, grabber, shoe horn/sock helper.  The only thing I had to pay for was the shower seat, I was able to buy a rental for half the price.  My husband went to the local furniture consignment store and bought a couple of armed chairs that he placed around the house so I could feel normal.  I was on my walker for about a week then graduated to a cane.  I would say some little things that made a big difference especially if he will be home alone are, Easy meals and drinks, lots of pillows because you get real tired of laying around, stuff to read, warm house ( I got cold )  Phone and computer chargers close by ( I was online alot and people called alot. )Mostly, having things in convenient places I got tired very fast.  Also be prepared to have your patience tested, You can do it!   

Ronnie

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »
Hi
          The only thing i can add is i found the 3 and 1 seat they have in the hospital was much better than the raised seat. You can move it to any floor and into the shower. Also the shower bandages that are waterproof.
                            Good luck Ronnie

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat