+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Am I TOO OLD?  (Read 2779 times)

Anne

Am I TOO OLD?
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:22:32 PM »
Hi there.  Newbie here.  My surgeon just told me I'm too old for a resurfaccing implant.  Thought I would check in with y'all and see if this guy is being too conservative in his approach, or if this is actually a standard answer.  I'm a 56-year old Caucasian woman with congenital hip dysplasia which has developed into advanced arthritis.  I'm ready for surgery, as I've exhausted all options - as far as I'm concerned - over the last 16 years since the dysplasia was diagnosed.  An implant seems appropriate for me, as I'm a competitive swimmer and would hate to give up something I've loved all my life.  I'm otherwise in good shape.  The bone scan was normal, which kinda kills me.  He's turning me down solely based on my AGE.  I've lost 40 pounds over the last nine months for a surgery apparently I cannot have...  Bummer.  By the way, the weight loss made very little difference for me in terms of pain reduction.  Double bummer.  It made me faster in the water, though.

Should I consider that guy in Belgium?  De Smet?

Any thoughts?  Thanks.  Anne

hughstjust

Re: Am I TOO OLD?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:59:01 AM »
Nonsense - apart from general health for surgery - the only issue is bone density. The latter can be an issue due to osteoperosis particularly in women I'm told.

james

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:45:34 AM »
I can't believe anyone would say that. Get another surgeon.

Elaine Y.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:02:24 PM »
I would definitely positively seek another surgeon. Many people are older than you and still have resurfacing done. The big issue is what condition the bone is in. That's what my surgeon told me. So, definitely, please seek another opinion. There are many now in the US that can do the surgery and will do the surgery and who have much experience with this resurfacing. Dr. Rogerson in Madison, WI, I hear is very good and has a lot of resurfacing behind him. I did not go to him personally, as I was able to find a very competent surgeon in the Chicago area near where I live. In fact, Dr. Rogerson would probably not take me, as I have a skin allergy to nickel. But that's another story in itself. Please do yourself a favor and seek another opinion.

Elaine Y.
RBHR -- 1/22/08 -- Dr. Eugene Lopez

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 11:36:12 PM »
Hi Anne

I would not listen to a surgeon that says a woman 56 is to old for hip resurfacing.  I was 61 when I had my hip done and I know others that were 67.

Many of the newer inexperineced surgeons won't do older women.  You really need to talk with an experienced hip resurfacing surgeon. 

Look at my doctors list and see what doctor with expreience is close to you.

You can send Dr. Bose and Dr. De Smet emails with your x-rays attached in a digital format as a .jpg and they will give you free consultations.

Dr. De Smet doesn't even need a bone density test - he reads it from your x-rays. He has done over 3000 hip resurfacings.

Don't give up getting a hip resurfacing until you talk with the experienced surgeons.  I went to Dr. De Smet in Belgium because I wanted a really experenced doctor and did not have insurance.  If I had insurance, I would have still gone to him.  Many insurance companies are now paying for surgery with him and Dr. Bose in India.

Let me know if you need more information.  Don't give up until you talk to the experienced doctors.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Michael Thompson

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:30:31 AM »
 He should judge by her bone condition not a date of birth ! ::) Mabye it is a liability issue? I agree with the other posts, get another opinion! 8) 8)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:46:29 AM by Michael Thompson »
What is in my bucket today?

http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/

momzer2

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »
Anne,

You are defintely NOT too old.  My ortho did a BHR on a man in his 70's.  It all has to do with health and bone density and your desired activity level post-op.  That surgeon is wrong.  See another doctor and FAST!!   Good Luck.

Karen

wookey

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »
Anne, here's my post from last October 2007:

"I was told today that I am too old for resurfacing!  There were no questions, no discussion about my bones or other health issues - just that a 59 year old female isn't a good candidate for this procedure because bones are generally weakening by this time of life.  I know my bones are better than most females of my age so I find this upsetting.  It was a total waste of time even seeing this doctor if he doesn't even want to consider hip resurfacing on a female over 55 years old.  He told me I'd be better off with THR."

Based on advice from members of this board, I sent my x-rays and bone denisty tests to the experts overseas and both were willing to do hip resurfacing.  I then got opinions from two more doctors here in Canada and they too agreed to do the resurfacing.  I am now 18 days post-op, pain free and recovery nicely.  I'm so glad I didn't accept the opininion of the first doctor I saw.  I felt quite comfortable having this surgery after 4/5 doctors agreed it was right for me.  Don't give up.

drmike-s

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 05:29:01 PM »
Hello Anne,

I was 73 when I had a resurfacing 4 years ago and still feel great. The main criterion is not chronological age but the presence or absence of osteoporosis. My surgeon, Koen de Smet, checked my x-rays before accepting me as a patient.

Good luck in your post-op course!

Mike Sulman

joyjoyjoy

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »
Hi Anne--
yeah that's ridiculous about being to old.  I just had my hip resurfaced back in November.  I am 57 years old.  It really is about bone density.  Get another doctor.

Joy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat