+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Physical Therapy  (Read 2234 times)

SusieQ

Physical Therapy
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:01:17 AM »
Wondering how long you all did physical therapy.  I'm at 8 weeks and have had 2 weeks of in home and now 6 weeks of 3 X week out therapy.  I have a prescription to go another 6 weeks.  I truly hate going, but know it does make me better doing things I'd be too lazy to do at home.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Physical Therapy
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:31:09 PM »
Hi SusieQ

Many people never do PT. Each doctor has a different idea of what they want their patients to do. 

I did my PT in Belgium for 9 days post op, but when I came home there was no reason to do any more.  I did try it, but the PT people told me I was so far ahead of normal THR people they did not know what to do with me.

Many have not done anything but live their lives and the end up pretty much in the same place as those that do a lot of PT.

My doctor, De Smet, just says walk, walk and walk.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »
I did three weeks of out-of-home PT.  They had me scheduled for another week and a half's worth, but I cancelled since I was going back to work. 

Maggie

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:01:50 AM »
Here in the UK I wasn't offered any formal physiotherapy, just the advice to keep walking as much as I felt able. At my follow up 10 weeks after the surgery I spoke to a physio and got some exercise suggestions from her to do at home, to target the weak muscles on the operated side. I'd like to say I do them religiously every day but I don't, I do however go walking every day and I do feel I am getting muscle strength back slowly.
As Pat says I'm not sure it makes that much difference long term, just keep using that new hip and enjoy being pain free!

Maggie

Ardnas

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:58 AM »
Hi Maggie,

I have just had my BHR five weeks ago.  Like you I was never offered any Physio.  My sister worked in the Hip Rehab in Cambridge London and was shocked that I had not been offered physio.  I was back at the hospital for a 6 week check up yesterday and asked agian, but was told no just to continue with my exercises (like you I tend to forget sometimes) and they will see me again in 6 weeks time.  I do try to exercise at least once a day and try to walk as much as possible.   I had my operation in Scotland so maybe each area is different.  HOpe you are doing well and reaching your goals.  Mine is to dance again, I am not greedy ha! ha! and perhaps sprint if need be.

Sandra

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat