+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another new Double Hippy  (Read 3806 times)

marathonhippo

Another new Double Hippy
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:43:12 AM »
Hi all,

Well, I've been hovering around here for months waiting for my surgery, and now that I have had the first hip done, I guess it's time that I join in.  I'm a 56 year old male (former) marathon runner, and have suffered from progressively worse OA in my right hip for probably 5 years.  I knew I eventually needed to do something, but like a lot of people, I just ignored it as best I could and kept on running with the help of Glucosamine, Naproxen and Ibuprofen.  After a marathon in Fall of 2005, I realized that was probably my last since I could hardly walk for days afterward.  I still thought it wasn't bad enough for surgery, and kept running 5 and 10ks for a couple more years.  My last race was August of 2007, and by then, my left hip was quickly catching up with the severe OA in my right.  Finally, I came to terms with the idea that I need to get this fixed, and started looking for a procedure and a doctor in earnest.  I had been reading about the BHR implants for quite some time, and had decided that it made sense for me since I was still fairly young, and wanted to remain active.  The problem was, when I inititally started searching for a surgeon that uses the Birmingham device, there were none in Utah that I could find.  A few months ago I was searching again, and found two Utah doctors trained in using the BHR procedure.  There are many other doctors in Utah that do resurfacing, but I wanted the Birmingham device, and only two were listed on http://www.birminghamhipresurfacing.com/locatesurgeon/.  One of them did his surgery at a hospital that does not take the insurance I have, but the other, although 40 miles away from my home, seemed to be a good choice.  His name is Dr. Joshua Hickman, and he does his surgery at Lakeview hospital in Bountiful, Utah.  I knew I had found the right doctor during the initial visit!  This guy was young, smart, and VERY much sold on resurfacing.  I don't know where he trained, but he told me he has done over 130 resurfacings to date.

I originally scheduled the surgery for Jan 21st, and my wife and I were on our way to Bountiful by 5am.  We didn't realize that during the night a huge snowstorm had move in and the freeway was covered in snow, and the plows hadn't got to all of it.  Somewhere in the middle of Salt Lake City on I-15, a guy in front of us and to our right lost control of his SUV in the snow, and ended up skidding broadside to us and stopped in our lane.  We wouldn't have had a chance to stop even without the snow.  We hit him at about 35 mph, the airbags deployed, and there we sat.  My wife was very upset, and kept saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" over and over.  I asked her why she was sorry, since I was driving and it was not her fault.  She said she was so sorry because I had been looking forward to this surgery, and now we would have to cancel it.  I couldn't believe she was thinking about that seconds after an accident!  What a great lady.  This was my first accident, and the surgery was the last thing on my mind.  Anyway, we made it out of that mess ok.  My wife bruised her knee and a finger (x-rays were negative), but other than that we were both fine, and the people in the SUV were not injured.  I rescheduled the surgery for Feb 4th.  Of course, another snowstorm was forecast, so we went up the night before and stayed in a motel in Bountiful.  It was snowing the next morning, but we only had a 5 minute drive to the hospital.

We arrived at 6am on Feb 4 2008, did all the preliminaries and was out of surgery by around 9 or 9:30 (I think - I was a little out of it).   He uses a combination of spinal nerve block and general anethstetic because he says you tend to wake up faster with fewer side-effects compared to a deep general anethstetic.   This was very effective, but a little weird to try to move from the waist down for the first couple of hours!  This must be what it is like for woman that have a spinal block during childbirth.  After it all wore off, things felt normal, and I've had no problems with side effects.

At Lakeview, they devote an entire floor to orthopedic patients, so we were not exposed to the general hospital population.  I was up walking a little with the physical therapist by that afternoon, stayed there overnight, had physical therapy at 10 the next morning then again at 3pm, after which I was released to come home.  I don't think my pain level ever got above a 3 or 4 the whole time.  In fact, the entire process was much more painless than I could have ever hoped for.  I was on two crutches for about a week, one crutch for another week and a half, and I have been walking with no crutches all this week (since Feb 25th).  It is so great to have no arthitis pain in that right hip!  Of course, the muscles are still weak and damaged, and it will take a while to get back my normal gait, but I can see progress each day.  My big problem now is I still have to baby the left hip because it's pretty bad.  I go back to Lakeview on March 10th for that surgery, and I am really looking forward to it (that sounds weird, but the surgery pain is much easier to tolerate than the arthritis).

I went back to Dr. Hickman on Feb 26th for my first post-op visit, and he cleared me to drive, and said I should be able to take over my own physical therapy (a PT has been coming to my home 3 times a week).  I should note here that even though I say I'm a former marathoner, that doesn't mean I've been in the greatest of shape lately, and I'm certainly no athlete!  I'm a very slow recreational runner, and can't seem to stick with any other excercise program, so when I stopped running, I started getting out of shape, and by the time of the surgery, I was the heaviest I have ever been, so please don't think I had a relatively easy time with this surgery because I'm some great physical specimen!  I think I had a easy time because of the skill of my doctor and all the other great people I have worked with.

I can't say enough good about Dr. Hickman and his staff at Mountain Orthopedics!  They followed through with every detail with the hospital, pre-op, insurance and post-op.  They arranged for an in-home health care nurse to come twice a week, and also the physical therapist to come 3 times a week.  Dr. Hickman has also called me a couple of times since the surgery to check on me.  It has been my experience that usually a nurse or assistant does the follow up, or just doesn't bother to call at all, so the fact he called me personally shows his commitment to his trade.  Again, this guy is really a cheerleader for resurfacing.   

I have really enjoyed reading everybody's stories in this forum!  Thanks to all that have posted.  It helped me more than anything else to know there are people going through the same thing.  When I get the other hip done, I'll do an update, and look forward to keeping up with all of you as well.

Thanks,

Alan
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

Raul G

• FLEXFLOORS
Re: Another new Double Hippy
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »
Hi Alan ,
                   I also have 2 hips that need to be done. I had the left one done on Feb 5th and everything went great. I also had 2 visits a week from the nurse and 3 visits a week from the physical therapist. They told me I have to wait at least 3 months to do the other hip so I was surprised that you're only waiting a month. I'm not a Dr. but I think 1 month is not enough time to properly heal. I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on your recovery.

LBHR 2/5/08 DR.KUEISIS- ALEXIAN BROS HOSPITAL

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
Hi Alan

Congratulations on the new hip.  Glad eveyrthing is going well for you.  I will try to get some more info about Dr. Hickman in Utah.  I normally only add doctors that are experienced and he sounds like he is staring to be at 130 resurfs.

I will post your story on the main website sometime after March 12 when I get back from the AAOS conference in San Francisco.  I am really busy getting ready for the trip right now.

We are going to be making video interviews from some of the experienced doctors. It is going to be exciting.  15,000 orthopedic surgeons will be there.

If I don't tell you I posted your story in a week or so, please drop me an email to remind me.  The discussion group is starting to grow so much that I sometimes forget what has been posted.

I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

marathonhippo

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
Hi Alan ,
                   I also have 2 hips that need to be done. I had the left one done on Feb 5th and everything went great. I also had 2 visits a week from the nurse and 3 visits a week from the physical therapist. They told me I have to wait at least 3 months to do the other hip so I was surprised that you're only waiting a month. I'm not a Dr. but I think 1 month is not enough time to properly heal. I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on your recovery.

LBHR 2/5/08 DR.KUEISIS- ALEXIAN BROS HOSPITAL

Hi Raul,

Thanks for your post.  On my initial visit with Dr. Hickman, I was actually asking if he could do both at the same time because I had read about others that have had this done.  He said he won't do that, and would prefer I wait at least a couple of weeks.  It turned out I will be waiting 5 weeks because of his schedule filling up.  I can't imagine now how hard it would be to have both at the same time, but I know it's been done.  I think your doctor is right, and it would probably be better to wait a little longer, but I am so miserable with the other hip that I am very anxious to get it done.  My doctor checked me over very well on the post-op visit the other day, and seemed very happy with my condition.  As long as I can put full weight on the operated hip (which I can right now), I feel I can do OK.  There does seem to be a wide variety of methods and policies that doctors use, but it all seems to work.  I will post an update on the second hip and let you know how it went.  Best of luck on your 2nd hip.  Are you recovering OK from the first one?

Alan

marathonhippo

Re: Another new Double Hippy (update)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 10:55:06 AM »
March 10th has come and gone, and I now have a shiny new left BHR to go with the right.  I am now 5 days post-op, and the weirdest thing is that I got used to walking somewhat normally and driving and all that after the first surgery 5 weeks before, and now I am starting it all over again.  Anyway, it went very well - I was at the hospital at 7am Monday, and released at 3pm Tuesday, so it was even a shorter hospital stay.  The anethstesia worked a bit different for me this time.  I had a block plus a sedative to put me to sleep, but I woke up while he was still pounding the hardware in!  This should have bothered me a lot, since I am a total wimp when it comes to this stuff (I have to look away when my blood is drawn, I get light-headed when someone talks about surgery or blood, etc) but since I could feel absolutely nothing other than the slight movement from the hammering or whatever he was doing, it turned out to be just interesting and not uncomfortable at all.  I heard the OR staff talking, but I was drifting in and out of sleep, and before long was in the recovery room.  I wonder what it would have been like to be awake for the whole surgery?  Since you have absolutely no feeling in your body from the waist down, I suppose it's possible.  For some reason, the incision is shorter than the right side, although I don't know by how much.   I can't believe that 6 weeks ago I was on the other side of this wondering how I was going to survive two hip operations, and now it's over and I'm sitting at my computer desk with two new hips! 

If you're on the fence and nervous about getting that hip fixed - don't be.  Just do your homework, find a good doctor that is experienced (I can make a great recommendation :-) ), and go for a visit.  My biggest problem with the severe arthritis in my hips for years (besides limping around, not being able to run, and trashing my stomach with anti-inflammatories) has been getting from a sitting position to a standing position.  It was a process that sometimes took a few minutes, and was VERY painful, not to mention a little embarrasing.  After sitting in a booth at a restaurant, for example, I would go through such a long procedure to get my legs working (including grimacing and groaning) that people would stare.  Here it is now 5 days since my second surgery, and already I am standing up faster than I have for probably 5 years (although I am not putting full weight on the new hip yet).  It's a wonderful feeling, and I wish I hadn't waited so long.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:02:29 AM by marathonhippo »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 11:21:29 AM »
Hi Alan

Congratulations on the second hip.  You are now an official double Surface Hippy.

I hope your recovery continues well and goes by quickly. 

Glad to hear you can stand up again in less than 5 minutes.  New hips are amazing - they give you your life back.

I hope you will be having a great summer this year with 2 new  BHRs.

Keep in touch and GOOD LUCK!   :D
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

JeanM

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
Hi Alan,
Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your success!  I'm considering a BHR from Dr Hickman in Bountiful as well.  I have an appointment with him on Wednesday.  It's great to hear of your success with him.  Although waking up in the middle of surgery doesn't sound like a lot of fun.  I'm not sure that I would be okay with that.  It's a good thing you had the local! 

I'm very concerned with choosing the right surgeon.  It certainly sounds like you've had a good experience with Dr Hickman.  Do you know if he's is the most experienced resurfacing surgeon in Utah?  Did you speak with any of his other patients?

Thanks again!
Jean
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

marathonhippo

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »
Hi Jean, glad to hear from you!

I actually don't know for sure if he is the most experienced in Utah, but I can't imagine anybody doing it any better.  For the second surgery, I had a different doctor doing the anesthesia, and I was told by the nurse later that they all have different methods, so waking up during the surgery was actually a result of what the anesthesiologist did, rather than Dr. Hickman.  Again, it was not the least bit uncomfortable, scary or anything like that, and I really am a wimp, so if it didn't bother me, it probably won't bother anybody.  Even though I was conscious, I was still very sedated and relaxed.  Thinking back on it now, they must have noticed my eyes opened, and put me out again, because I don't recall much other than those few minutes after the initial wake-up until I woke up again in recovery.  One important thing to mention here is they asked me which type of anesthesia I would prefer, and I could have opted for a deep general anesthesia that pretty much guarantees you are out for the duration.  I have to say that if I had to have this done 10 times, I would chose the block and sedation all 10 times vs. the general (it's a good thing I only have 2 hips!!).

Dr. Hickman has probably done over 150 resurfacings by now, but he doesn't do just those.  He also does THR's and other orthopedic surgery, like the knees.  He does his surgery every Monday all day.  I remarked to the pre-op nurse this last time that Monday must be a really long day for him, and she says he absolutely loves it.  She said he's like a kid in a candy store, and can't wait for Mondays.  You will be able to get your own opinion of him during your visit, but I think you will find him very enthusiastic and like I said before, totally sold on the merits of resurfacing.  When I go back for my 3 week post-op visit, I'm going to ask him where he trained for the BHR procedure, but if you happen to think to ask him during your visit, can you send an email to Pat so she can update the Dr. listing?

I have only spoken with one of his other BHR patients during all this, and he was an older man who was back for his 3-week post-op visit, and he was off crutches, doing very well, and was just as happy with Dr. Hickman as I have become.  This last surgery, there was another Hickman BHR patient in the room next to mine, and I planned on going in during one of my walks with the physical therapist, but by the time we got over there, he had been released.  One thing you might want to do is see if they can give you names of a few patients of his you can talk to.  Two people you will get to know there if you decide to have him do your surgery is Kristen, who is his secretary, and Brooke, who is his medical assistant (I think she is an RN).  I have called them both many times, and they usually don't answer because they are busy, but they are both excellent to return calls.

One of the many things I was impresssed with was the care he took in placing the cobalt chrome cap over the femur bone.  Apparently the angle at which this is inserted is very important, and has ramifications down the road as to how resistant your hip is to future fracturing.  Fracturing is quite rare, but it can happen, and is aggravated by positioning the resurfacing hardware incorrectly where there is more stress on the femur neck than is necessary.  In my case he looked at the xrays after the first surgery, and carefully showed me how mine was at the perfect angle to withstand the maximum stress (my femur neck is apparently at a bit wider angle than most men).  I'm sure all the good resurfacing doctors do this, but I was just very reassured at how detail oriented he is.

The other doctor I looked into locally was Dr. Kim Bertin, and he came highly recommended to me by a friend of mine who is a hospital administrator, and knows him well.  My problem there is he only does his surgery at LDS hospital, and my insurance is not accepted there.

The hard part about all this is here you have an extremely skilled and dedicated person who basically gives you your life back, which is priceless, but all you have to give in return is your money :-[.  I know it's a LOT of money, but it somehow doesn't seem like quite enough compensation because it's so great to be able to do all those things you used to do, and can do them pain-free again.

Whoever you chose to do your surgery, I wish you the best of luck!  I don't think this surgery is recovered from as easily as some of the minimally-invasive total hip procedures from what I understand, but it's a great solution for younger more active people, and recovery is not that bad.  It's been one week today since my second surgery, and I am still on two crutches, but I am very mobile, getting in and out of bed myself, and I will probably toss one crutch this coming week.  As far as pain, the first couple of days I was glad to have a pain-pill, but now an occasional Tylanol is all I need.  It's also been 6 weeks today since the first surgery, and that side is very strong now, which is good, since it has done most of the weight bearing.

If you haven't already started, make sure you do some exercising to tone those leg muscles.  That makes recovery a little easier.  Also, you may not have been told this yet, but within 48 hours after surgery, they send you to a clinic to get a radiation treatment on the operated hip.  They do this because the body is so aggressive in trying to heal that hip that there is a possibility of getting bone spurs or calcium growth in the tissue surrounding the joint.  The radiation slows this process way down so the danger is minimized.  It's not painful, and the actual radiation takes only a couple of minutes, but you're there for quite a while as they do x-rays, and map out exactly how and where to treat the joint.  The hard part is you are getting up and down on tables, so you'll need meds.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Alan

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »
Thanks for taking time to write all about both hip resurfacings and Dr. Hickman.  I have your story posted http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories08/alanrhodes08.php  I will try to watch for any updates.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

JeanM

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »
Hi Alan,
Thanks for sharing so much about your experience.  I didn't know about the radiation thing.  I have a long list of questions for Dr Hickman.  So, let's hope he's feeling talkative on Wednesday!  I'll definitely get his latest stats on BHR's where he trained and I'll post back with it.

According to his nurse, Dr. Bertin has only done 30-40 BHR's.  So, I think you made a good choice.

Okay, so here's a weird question . . .When they took your x-rays, did he x-ray your hips while you where standing or lying on your back?  Last week, my hip x-ray was taken while I was lying on my back.  But, after looking at Dr De Smet website and Dr Rogerson's website, it seems that both of those docs want standing x-rays.  I'm going to ask Dr Hickman to take a standing x-ray of my hip and I'm hoping that he'll agree to do that.  I'd like to having a standing x-ray that I can send out to De Smet for his opinion on my situation.

Thanks!
Jean

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »
Hi

I don't know where you got the info that Dr. De Smet needs a standing x-rays unless it was for something special.  Mine were taken laying down before I had my hip done.  Then when in Belgium in the hospital before surgery it was laying down and after surgery it was laying down.

You regular x-rays laying down are fine for Dr De Smet.  I know because he did my hip resurfacing.  I hope that helps.

Been there and done that!!!  2 years ago.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

marathonhippo

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 10:59:56 PM »
Jean,

No, there was never any mention of a standing x-ray - they were all done lying down both in Dr. Hickman's office, and in the hospital, post-op (they took x-rays in the recovery room, unless I was dreaming through the anesthesia fog).

Alan

JeanM

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:48:37 AM »

Okay, I'm glad that it sounds like I don't need that standing x-ray.  But, I'm not making things up!  : -)   I really did read it.  I'm very thorough. 

Here's where I read on Dr De Smet's website about the standing x-ray:

http://www.hip-clinic.com/en/html/answers.shtml#a71

Here's where I read on Dr. Rogerson's website about the standing x-ray:

http://www.orthorogerson.com/Hip-Resurf-Next%20Step.htm

Go Figure.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 11:13:08 AM »
Dr. De Smet will tell you if you need something special. There have been some very complicated cases and he asked that special x-rays were done. 

Just use your regular x-rays from the other orthos and he will tell you if he needs more info.  He is very good about writing to you and answering questions.

His English is a bit strange at times - but in person he is a very warm and kind doctor.  He reads a lot of emails and gives people consultations for very difficult situations.

They have a fancy x-ray machine in Belgium that you stand on, then it tilts back to a laying postion.  When I had my bedpain incident where I seem to have hurt my hip on the bedpan and was in terrible pain, they did an extra x-ray.  They gave me a shot in my thigh like in the movies to stop of the pain - I assume morphine because it knocked me right out. The next thing I knew I was down in x-ray and unable to stand because they sent me in a wheelchair without crutches. This was the morning after surgery. The 2 small nurses looked at me and wondered how they will get me to stand on the x-ray machine.  They actually held me under my armpits on either side and stayed with me as the table started to tilt back horizontally.  It was funny - especially in a morphine fog.  One of the nurses yelled to stop since she was caught half way off the floor trying to hold on to me and the tilting table.  They finally got me in place and got the x-rays which showed everything was OK.

You have to watch those bedpans - the will bite you!!!!  They don't use catheters overseas for just one hip. They like the body to work naturally.

So for most of us - the laying x-rays seemed to be OK.  Of course, it is always up to the doctors.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat