+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why don't you use walkers  (Read 2857 times)

Deb

Why don't you use walkers
« on: March 09, 2008, 03:38:43 PM »
I plan to have a BHR for both hips sometime in the near future.  I have been reading your comments and concerns, etc. about using crutches.  I do not see that any of you are using a walker... is there any reason why not to use a walker??? 

Deb
~Deb :)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Why don't you use walkers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 03:47:26 PM »
Hi Deb

I gave your question a new topic. Sometimes they get lost down at the bottom of a thread.

You don't need a walker after a hip resurfacing.  In fact, overseas, doctors only use elbow crutches because they are much easier to use and easier on the body.
The underarm crutches are hard on your armpits. 

You don't need a walker because you are quite able to walk after surgery.  Normally they have up up and doing stairs the next day with one hip.  Bi-lats take just a bit longer.  Check out Kani in Belgium within 10 days post op of surgery - he was a bi-lat
http://www.surfacehippy.info/kanirowland.php

Most De Smet hippies only use one crutch after a few days.  I then used only 1 crutch for 4 weeks, then none.  I was walking 3/4 mile by 11 days post op with one crutch.

The bi-lat I was with in Belgium was also only using 1 crutch for the weakest leg.  I was with 8 other hippies when I was there.

That's why you don't need a walker.  They want you walking as normal as possible.  The crutches are not to keep weight off your operated leg, but to help you balance yourself since your mucles are weak after surgery.

Pat

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:32:49 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Elaine Y.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »
Hi,
I used a rolling walker until my first postop appointment at 3 weeks. My surgeon said he was going to be very conservative with me for the first 6 weeks and then let me go. I used a cane after my 3 weeks postop check, but by 5 weeks postop, I was only using a cane when out. At 6 weeks postop, totally walking without any assistive device. I only had the right resurfaced, so I really can't answer for bilaterals. But, I did not want to use crutches at all. I am very clumsy on crutches, that's why the rolling walker. I'm not sure if elbow crutches are used in the States, but the option for me was rolling walker or under-the-arm crutches.

Hope this helps.

Elaine Y.
RBHR -- 1/22/08 -- Dr. Eugene Lopez

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:46:47 AM »
I only used a walker while I was in the hospital.  They taught me how to use crutches in PT and had me going up stairs the day after my surgery.  A walker would have been impractical for me because of the way my home is set up (not very large, lots of furniture in the way, etc.).  Crutches were easier for me, though, your arm pits do get sore!  I used my cane for maybe 2-3 weeks.  After my first week back to work, I stopped using it all together.  I am 7 weeks post-op today.   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:51:01 AM by takilasunrise »

SusieQ

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:47:32 AM »
I used a walker for about 3 weeks, then a cane for another few weeks, then a cane occasionally.  Alot of it had to do with our tough Chicago winter.  At about 8 weeks was comfortable going around without anything.  My people did not recommend crutches for some reason.  The walker was cool, especially with a canvas bag attachment to carry essentials like cell phone, coffee, etc.  I would hang my picker upper thing on it and could drape clothes and stuff on it I needed to move from one place to another.    See no reason not to use it.  I am walking around just fine for weeks now.  Don't hardly think about it anymore.  So do not see any drawback to it.

marathonhippo

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »
I used a walker in the hospital, and had both a walker and crutches at home.  When the phsical therapist came to my home the first time, he asked me why I was using a walker instead of crutches, and said crutches are best because a walker tends to force you to lean forward a bit which is not as helpful in getting back to a normal gait.  When I had the other hip done, I ignored the walker, used two crutches, then one, and now none.

By the way, for those that have recently had the surgery and are still on two crutches, my PT also gave me another little tip that helped me a lot.  We have a lot of stairs in our home, and I never did feel all that secure at first going up and down using two crutches.  He suggested that just before I start going up or down that I use the handrail for one hand, and the extra crutch can be carried along with the other hand, perpendicular to the other crutch, so it makes a big plus sign.  I felt much more secure this way on stairs, and still had the other crutch for when I got to the top.  Anyway, just my $.02 worth.

Congrats to you that have made it through your surgery and are on the road to recovery.  My right hip is almost 9 weeks post-op, and I can tell it is very strong and has just a little muscle pain now and then (still healing).  The left side is almost 4 weeks post-op, and although I have been walking unassisted for about a week and a half, I walk like a penquin because the muscle still needs quite a bit of strengthening.  I still can't get over how great it is to have no arthitis pain!!!

Alan
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

abc

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:14:40 PM »
I plan to have a BHR for both hips sometime in the near future.  I have been reading your comments and concerns, etc. about using crutches.  I do not see that any of you are using a walker... is there any reason why not to use a walker??? 

Deb

Deb:

One thing I did not see mentioned is stairs.  If you have any stairs in your house you need to negotiate immediately after your hospital stay a walker would not be a good option.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear