+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Upper Leg Muscles  (Read 1798 times)

Ardnas

Upper Leg Muscles
« on: March 09, 2008, 06:29:55 PM »
I am six weeks post op.  While sitting I can lift my operated leg up, but while lying flat on the bed I have no control, is this normal.   Sandra

Elaine Y.

Re: Upper Leg Muscles
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
Hi,
Are you still doing PT? Your quad muscles are still weak. I can do leg lifts lying down, but I have to rest after 10, then do 10, then do another 10. It's not easy. You just need to keep strengthening the quad muscles. Be sure to contract your quad muscle before doing the lift by flexing your foot forward and then your knee will be flat and then try raising your leg. This way you are totally using the quad muscle. Also, is your non-operative knee bent.... That makes it easier for me. And, the above is how my PT told me to do the lifts, and remember, you are only lifting to the height of the other knee when it is flexed. I started out using a strap around my leg to lift it. Believe me, it isn't easy, but it will come.

Everyone heals at their own rate. The muscles take a while to get back into shape, especially if you were not using them much before the surgery. I wasn't and couldn't believe how weak I was when they asked me to do a leg lift at 4 weeks postop.

Hang in there... it will come ;)

Elaine Y.
RBHR -- 1/22/08 -- Dr. Eugene Lopez

Ardnas

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
Hi Elaine,

Thank you for your help.  I am not totally worried yet about not being able to lift the leg as I know the quad muscles are still healing.  I just wondered if it was normal.  I do not get physio treatment yet, my doctor wants to wait until my 12 week re-visit.  I continue to do my exercises every day and each day I do see a difference.  Thank you.

Sandra

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:26:26 PM »
Hi

Everyone has their own timeline for healing.  abduction of raising your leg out to the side while standing was most difficult for me.  Raising it straight up off the bed was much easier after a few weeks.

It simply takes time for everything to heal.  Also each doctor has a little different surgical technique and that may make some difference between patients.

Give you self time to heal - do what you can.  If it hurts - don't do it.  That's what my doctor has always said.  Listen to your body.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dgm

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »
Hi Sandra,
I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow.  I also find it more difficult to lift my leg while lying down and trying to navigate in and out of bed.  One thing I find that helps is the PT exercise they started on day 2 - where you tighten your quad/hold then relax (it's kind of like trying to push the back of your knee down)  It almost feels like you are doing nothing because it is easy but I have found that has helped quite a bit.  But of course, do whatever your doctor/PT recommends.  My PT is also having me do some small bridge lifts which seems to be building strength.  Elaine had a good suggestion on using a strap to help.

I know everyone heals at different rates and it's hard to be patient at times.  Everyday it gets easier.  But remember the best part of all, to be pain free!

Best,
Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz