+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metallic Ions and pregnancy  (Read 1643 times)

Kim_Mason

Metallic Ions and pregnancy
« on: March 12, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
Hello All,

I am new to this site and this is my first posting.  I am still learning the ropes of online communities, but regardless I am so happy to have found this site.  Here is my question:

To all the women out there...have you been pregnant after having a hip resurfacing surgery?  And if so, what did your doctor tell you about the possible effects of the metal ions to your fetus?  I am 32 years old and need resurfacing, but I am afraid of what some of these doctors are telling me about the "unknown effects" of these ions.  I feel stuck.  I'm currently bone on bone, in a lot of pain so I can't imagine being pregnant and carrying any extra weight, but if I wait until after the surgery it seems as if I can harm my unborn child.  If anyone has any info to help clear up my clouded mind, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hope to hear from you,

Kim

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Metallic Ions and pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »
Hi Kim
Welcome to Hip Talk.

There have been a few women that have had hip resurfacing and had normal babies afterwards.  They have posted on the Yahoo Surface Hippy Group  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/

I don't remember who they were, but if you join the group you might try to do a search about pregnancy and hip resurfacing.  You could also post to see if any reading has had a baby and a hip resurfacing. I am sorry that I have not made a story about this, but don't always get to everyone that posts with an interesting story.

This group is still pretty small and I don't think you will find an answer from anyone on it.  The metal ions are the highest in the first year as the new hip wears in, then after that I have read that it is no more than the chromium you get in a vitamin with mineral pill.  It is very small.

Of course, I am not medically train, and certainly am not an expert.  You should discuss this with your doctor and ask for more medical studies and information.

You are very young to consider having a THR.  If you have a THR you would have to go to an old fashioned small ball plastic/metal one to get away from the metal ion issue or go to a ceramic on ceramic with a titanium stem.  You can't go the MOM or metal on metal route because they are made of the same metal that the BHRs are. So you will have to be careful what you choose.  You definitely don't want to go the small ball THR route or you could easily dislocate our hip just lifting your baby.  You would at least need a ceramic on ceramic. The ceramic on ceramic used in the US is a smaller diameter than the ones used overseas.  So you might want to check into that too.

I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how else we can help.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Kim_Mason

Re: Metallic Ions and pregnancy
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »
Thank you, Pat.  I appreciate the advice.  I have a consultation appt. with Dr. Scott Ball on April 11th and plan on asking him about these effects as well.  I will keep you posted.  And, in the meantime, I will check out the Yahoo chats. 

With sincere gratitude,

Kim

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat