+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bi lat in a couple days  (Read 2561 times)

austin.m

Bi lat in a couple days
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:38:58 PM »
I'm scheduled for a bilateral just a few days before you (April Fools Day!). I'm naturally biased, but everything I've read/heard suggests you're doing the best thing by going for both at once. We'll only get full quality of life back after both hips are fixed, so why delay - plus I'm not that interested in repeating rehab. It is major surgery, but it's really not that complicated, even x2 so we might as well try to relax and enjoy the drug induced experience! Seriously, while it sounds as if the first few days are tough when you do both hips, I think that once you're through this the rehab is essentially the same.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Bi lat in a couple days
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:53:33 PM »
Hi Austin

I gave you your own topic.  You are going to be a bi-lat and should have top billing.

Many people feel like you do.  Just get it all over at once - once surgery and one recovery.  Many US doctors don't like doing bi-lats, but the overseas doctors often do them.

Who is your surgeon?

I have quite a few bi-lat stories listed on the Hip stories page.  Most of them do quite well.  It takes a little longer doing 2 instead of one, but think what a great summer you will have.  2 good hips and no pain.

I wish you the very best.  Keep in touch and write a story for me to post on the website.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

austin.m

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »
Thanks - my doctor is Thomas Vail at UC San Francisco (he's done about 250 resurfacings now). Have read what I could find on your great site from bilats and it's all feeling good. The rehab really doesn't seem much tougher, but I keep thinking I must be missing something!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »
I don't think you are missing anything.  Doing 2 at one time just takes a little more patience and a little longer in the hospital.  I was with a bi-lat in Belgium and he was also just using one crutch to get around.  It is amazing how well some people do.

Think positive and you will do fine.  You can't rush the healing and recovery - you body controls that.  You can influence you thinking to know you are going to have to great hips this summer. That is a gift to be able to be active without pain.

I wish you the very best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gavin

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 04:12:56 AM »
Don't panic...I had a simultaneous bilateral BHR just over 3 months ago on 3 Dec 2007.
Right now I am back doing all my old activities (with the exception of running,by choice) completely pain free...hiking, swimming,scuba diving,mountain biking and I might say feeling like I have been reborn!
For me the best form of rehab. was getting into a pool as early as possible after the incisions had healed and swimming.
My surgeon basically gave me no major restrictions and just recently after my 3 month check-up and  x-rays told me everything was absolutely fine and not be afraid to "push the envelope".
Good luck with your upcoming surgery,I hope you have a trouble free adventure as I have had.

Gavin (Bilat BHR Mr Hugh Blackley.New Zealand)

austin.m

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 03:51:15 PM »
This is great to hear! If you don't mind - can you take me through your experience over the first few week or so after the surgery - how was it trying to get around, sitting, sleeping etc??

Gavin

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:19:17 PM »
Austin if you check on Surface Hippy Blogs,open it from the Homepage, I have detailed my first few weeks.Its titled Simultaneous Bilateral BHR's dated Dec 22 2007.If you require anything further I can be reached at gavinfin@hotmail.com

Gavin

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:52:54 PM by Pat Walter »

austin.m

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 05:14:16 PM »
Gavin - read your blog - thanks. I'm a great believer that attitude makes a big difference and yours was obviously very positive. Hope to follow your very successful footsteps! Thanks again.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat