+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long before you could ski? Road cycling?  (Read 5637 times)

lincolnmc

How long before you could ski? Road cycling?
« on: March 15, 2008, 08:54:16 PM »
Hi, I am pro skier who is real close to scheduling a resurfacing.  Could anyone share their experiences of returning to snow skiing at an elite level? thank you. Mick 
While we are it how soon have people been able to return to road cycling?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:21:33 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: How long before you could ski? Road cycling?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »
Hi

Everyone is different.  Some have run marathons 3 months post op and Ironman Triathlons at 6 months post op - very few however.

Here are a bunch of athlete stories http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php

There is no way to predict how quickly you will recover. It is best to ask your own surgeon when they think you can return to snow skiing.

Most surgeons want people to wait until about 6 months before running. You can read the doctor interviews to see what each doctor says http://www.surfacehippy.info/doctorinterviews/doctorinterviews.php

I could have been out on my bike 3 months post op, but I was a 61 year old woman and did not want to take any chances of falling and injuring my new hip. 

The overseas doctors are much less conservative than the US doctors.  You need to ask your own doctor what they suggest.

Good luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ronnie

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »
Hi
   I am not a pro skier but i can tell u this. I had my ski weekend with the guys this week so at 3 months post op iasked my Doctor and he told me i could ski. He said if i were a good skier no problem conditions were not good.  I know i could have handled it but it was icey.
                                Ronnie

rob webb

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:19:36 PM »
Hey Mick,

I'm an ex alpine racer and have returned to skiing three months post-op left BHR Dr. Ure.  I am by no means skiing at an elite level, but after three weeks of skiing I can arc turns and lay into it if it is smooth.  I am sure that I could have been on the road bike at six weeks to two months, but my recovery has been through the winter so I opted for nordic (skating) at eight weeks out.

Take care,

R. Webb   

John C

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »
I am a bit late at getting this reply in, but it still might be useful to others. I am a full time (800+ hours per year) higher end ski instructor that had my left hip resurfaced 4 weeks ago by Dr. Gross, and based on his recommendation, plan on getting back on skis at six months out. More importantly, I based my decision to proceed with the surgery in part due to observing one of my ski students this past winter. He is a very advanced skier, and we resumed his once a week lesson schedule when he was six months out. He skied all slopes in all conditions, including black diamond runs with deep chopped snow over moguls. No problems, including laying higher speed arcs on the groomed. He is skiing better than before, but still dealing with hip angulation issues from the old arthritis. Based on range of motion, I expect this to improve as well. Bottom line; a 60 year old advanced skier was able to return to skiing all slopes, in all conditions, at all speeds, at 6+ months after resurfacing. ;D
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat