+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I must be the clumsiest!  (Read 1984 times)

takilasunrise

I must be the clumsiest!
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:49:55 AM »
Well, I actually have 2 clumsy stories to tell. 

This weekend, I was coming up out of the basement when my escape artist Jack Russell Terrier took off running towards the open front door.  The screen door was shut, but it tends not to "click" shut, so when a 12 lb. dog jumps up on it flying at full speed, they can open it with ease.  Anyway, I saw her heading towards the door and as she jumped up to "open" it, I started into a quick jog to hopefully get there before she opened it (what was I thinking, like I can run faster than a dog).  I was extra concerned because I just had to bail her our of doggy jail last week for her escaping out of the backyard!  Anyway.........either my slipper "stuck" or I actually caught my foot on the throw rug, I sent myself down to the ground.  Of course, I landed full force on my right side.  I actually knocked the wind out of me and had a hard time breathing for what felt like forever.  As I was lying there, trying to catch my breath, I was thinking, okay, did I just mess up my hip?  I just saw the bill from the hospital/insurance company ($44,000.00+) and here I just ruined it because of the dumb dog!  Well, my hubby comes running down the stairs to see what happened.  He actually was using a jig saw in the bathroom at the time (remodeling) and he could hear me crash onto the ground.  He helped me up and all was well.  Besides a few sore spots on me today, especially my right arm, I seem to be ok. 

When I was about 3-4 weeks post-op, I decided to go down into the basement and I slipped and fell down the last 4 steps.  Luckily, I was wearing my "slippery" athletic nylon pants.  I fell onto my bottom and slid down the stairs like I was on the playground slide.  My hubby had to come to my rescue and pick me up.  Luckily, he's big enough and strong enough to bear-hug me and pick my straight up. 

Seems strange, I haven't fallen in years and then I do it twice since my surgery.  I'm obviously not doing something right.  Anyway, please accept this as a "warning" to all you prospective "Hippies".  Be careful! 

P.S.  My fall scared the heck out of my dog to where she ran in the opposite direction to hide and didn't get out!  ;D

baxter

Re: I must be the clumsiest!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
Hello, thank you for sharing your story. I twisted my hip after surgery, I almost passed out. I was
seeing star for several min. When I returned home from India, where I had both of my hips resurfaced,
I was walking my dog on a leash and he took off after a cat. He pulled up off my feet and I started to
run just to maintain my balance. I think that set me back in my recovery for at least two weeks. Sometimes I feel extremely fragile.
  I am currently six months from my surgery, and still dealing with pain in my right hip only. The left
hip turned out perfect. So I can appreciate your warning to be careful.
  Congradulations on your new hip.

Gary     

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:25:42 PM »
Hopefully all is OK.  I think we are all a little more clumsy after surgery.  Our bodies are trying to get back to normal after major surgery and then the recovery process.

Hopefully, if you are not in great pain - all will be well.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Elaine Y.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 11:08:39 AM »
Hi

I must admit that is one of my greatest fears of tripping and falling. I was extremely careful at first, always looking down when I walk. It was hard for me, as I am tall and used to looking straight ahead and not at my feet. I still fear a big "trip," but hearing what you did Marni so soon after surgery... well, you survived. Not that I want to trip in the future, but at least I know people do survive. Of course, I will still be most careful, as I keep hearing "femur neck fracture" running through my brain. I won't even attempt to walk my dog on a leash for awhile now.

Glad to hear everything is still good -- and be careful  ;)

Elaine Y.
RBHR -- 1/22/08 -- Dr. Eugene Lopez

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat