+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First time golfing post-surgery  (Read 9890 times)

Miguelito

First time golfing post-surgery
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:10:37 PM »
Went to the driving range early Saturday morning, just over eight weeks post-surgery. The first time since surgery I had swung a club, and only the second time in almost a year.

I suspected I would be immediately better post-surgery so was a little surprised that I failed to get any of the first twelve or so balls in the air. With a gap wedge, mind you! The lowest I ever got my handicap was a 13+, but still! It was off grass and it was dry so maybe I was a little afraid of the jarring a slow swing would do to the hip...but whatever. I finally had to put it on a tee to get it in the air. Now I'm no great shakes as a golfer but I'd guess I would typically put 99 or 100 balls out of 100 at least into the air with a wedge pre-surgery.

Anyway, it came around and by the end of the second bucket I was hitting my irons noticeably more solidly than I have in about four years, especially the short irons. That also surprised me. I thought the biggest impact would be driver, but that wasn't appreciably different than pre-surgery. I have a very flat swing, most evident with the driver of course, maybe that has something to do with it? Not sure. I do expect it to return to the form of 4-5 years ago eventually.

I felt so good that later that afternoon I was watching the PGA tournament and I was inspired (and bored enough) to run across the street to the muni for nine (or 13) holes. Shot a 46 for nine, with a couple of triples that (naturally) killed the score, but parred three straight at one point, including two pretty tough holes. Again the contact (for about eight holes, until my muscles decided to stop rotating my hip) was better than it has been in several years, and my wedges were very accurate, but consistently going 10 or so yards longer than they did pre-surgery. Driver was ok until the hip got tired and slicy.

In trying to analyze why the contact is so much solider now, I suspect that when (pre-surgery) I thought I was turning my hip back, what I was really doing was bringing the club up and to the outside (after the hip stopped turning) and so coming at the ball from over the top and weakly cutting at the ball with an open clubface (that my subconscious dictated to try to keep the face square to the target).

Looking at my divot marks at the range it was obvious that they were much closer to being along the target line than the previous ones (slashes aimed left), at least after the hip warmed up.

I am really looking forward to golf the rest of the summer. I cannot wait to surprise the guys who I only see once a year on the annual golf trip (in August) I go on. I am sure by the time we tee-off most of them will have heard that I had a "hip-replacement", and not knowing what we now know they will assume that I will be worse, and shorter, than before. I have no doubt that I will be better than I have been since the '07 season (the point at which the upward trajectory of my golf education was overtaken by the declining ability of the hip).

Sorry so long-winded, I just finally am experiencing the light at the end of the tunnel and want to share with those who understand.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

hernanu

Re: First time golfing post-surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
Mike, that's great. I'm not a golfer, but get the improvement in mechanics from your description. I'm also all for surprising the heck out of people who've heard about your 'infirmity'.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

David

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »
Congrats Mike...a few more times out and you willhave the confidence to turn and drive more with your legs...it will get better...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

David

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
Mike...77 last week...my best in some years...walked the course too!!!
You playing?
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Miguelito

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:59:15 AM »
David,

Congratulations on the 77! Yes, I am playing (but taking a cart except for nines and executive courses). Did not get to play much over the last six weeks due to a pulled trapezius (ouch!), but had my annual golf trip over the weekend. Maybe didn't do as well as I had hoped (102, 94, 90 on the morning rounds -  the afternoons were scrambles or match play). Played 115 holes over three days, all in a cart, and had no trouble with the hip whatsoever, so I am very happy about that. My main problems were a brutal hook with the long clubs (the opposite of my pre-surgery slice, just night and day) and the fact that my irons are starting to go further (and much higher) than they did pre-surgery. One or the other would crop up on the majority of holes. Granted, the hook was the bigger problem, but it's a bad course to be over the green on.

I'm pretty sure that the only time I thought about my hip all weekend (other than taking a shower) was when I wanted to jog (perhaps down a steep-ish incline where it would be easier to jog than to walk) and my body would tell me that it still was only safe to do an old-man hobble-jog.

Leg strength isn't where it was (but it's rapidly improving) but other than that I don't think there is currently any negative effect on my golf game from the hip, and I'm at just over four months. It's really almost amazing. I would not have expected to be where I am now. Those first few weeks of recovery were definitely tougher than I expected, not the complete lack of pain that some others seem to have experienced. Then there were even more weeks of very slow recovery, going to PT once a week (that kept me motivated to do work on my own). Then the strength started to return and every week I noticed an improvement. Yesterday I carried my (very tall and not light) four year-old upstairs alternating legs without holding a rail for the first time. Even ten days ago I would only have stepped up with the non-operated leg (while carrying a 40+ pounder). I now think that I am ahead of where i exoected to be (at four months).

Things are good. You?

Mike

RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

David

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »
Great to hear Mike.
The first several times out golfing I was all over the place, but that's just golf.
Later in the rounds, the hip would tire, but that doesn't happen any longer.  I think the hook comes from the tentative lack of drive with the hips and legs and you come over the top of the ball with the upper body.  Would happen to me when I would tire too.  As you strengthen you will find your range of motion and flexibility will allow you to do things with your swing you have not in some time.
Glad you are getting back doing what you enjoy, including carrying your child. Mine is 10 and I think my carrying days are over.
I am into the triathlon and running thing and that is going well.
It only gets better.
Congrats.
David
ps: The Barclays Tournament is in town this week, think I might go check that out one day...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Miguelito

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 08:08:04 PM »
You're the second person I have heard from today who is going to the Barclays. I am jealous! I live in Boston so it's quite a coincidence that that would happen.

I have only been to a couple of pro tournaments, the first being the Deutsche Bank several years ago, before the Fedex cup. I recall one of the first drives I saw from very close to the tee (it was Thursday morning) and Jason Gore was the player. As soon as he hit it my reaction was, "Ohh, so that's what 300 yards really looks like". Then the other two (or three - I forget) guys step up and hit it within ten feet of his, Position A. Just like Bobby Jones said about Nicklaus, a game with which I am not familiar.

Who are you rooting for?
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

wendell

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »
Mike,

I know this is old thread, but I was trying to visualize your swing and wondered about the hook you described.

I am assuming that it is your back hip that has been worked on. If this is the case, could it be that it feels more free to rotate and causes you to come more inside on your backswing than you are used to doing?

Starting inside will cause a hook.

I am hoping to have the surgery and start playing again. I'm jealous. If you can remember the days when you wanted to play, but the fear of the pain after the round just made you pass? I'm there.

Have fun.

Miguelito

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »
Hi wendell,

When are you going under the knife? Who is your surgeon? And you are correct, it is my back hip!

About the hook, I thought I had the reasons behind it figured out, but I haven't golfed since September (my wife had our third child in October, so there you go) and now I can't remember why I thought it was happening. I'm also having some (unrelated to the hip) back problems and I am groggy from lack of sleep and my thinking is a little slow.

I was definitely coming more from the inside (mainly because the hip just did it on its own) so you are probably right.

Yes, I remember those days! :-( . I thought I had sciatica and didn't know the hip was my real problem. I had completely given up golfing in consequence. When I learned it was the hip, and that it was fixable, the thought that I would be able to return to golf brought me great joy.

Regards,

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

wendell

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »
Not sure when I will get the surgery. I have had three hip surgeries already on the same hip. Not looking forward to the next one.

The two doctors I have picked so far is Gross or Brooks. Looks like they know what they are doing.

No one can guarantee I will be pain free. That is why I will get the surgery. I want to be pain free. The pain free days are few and far between. I won't wait too much longer I don't think.

Enjoy the golf game.

fenceman

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »
Wendell,  I am excited to get back to golf this Spring.  I took up the game again last year and enjoyed it until my hip began to hurt in the fall.  Dr. Brooks did my hip 7 weeks ago and everything is going very well.  My golf league starts in May and I expect to be ready to play.  It will be interesting to see if my swing changes at all due to my hip that will still be healing. 

You have 2 very good Dr's with Brooks & Gross.  Good luck with your surgery.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat