+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: bad physical therapist?  (Read 5433 times)

perlani

bad physical therapist?
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »
My husband is 6 days post op and went for his first physical therapy treatment at Agile Physical Therapy in Palo Alto.  The therapist did one exercise with him where she put a leather belt around her body and around his leg and put her arm around his leg and forced the leg into a couple of different positions.   She pushed his leg into his body.  She said she was trying to loosen up his joint. 

But now he's in severe pain.  Is this normal?  Agile Physical Therapy has been recommended, although we don't know anything about this particular therapist. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: bad physical therapist?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:49:48 PM »
Hi

I don't think any PT person should be forcing your husbands leg into any position.  If they can't move it gently - it should not be forced.

I am not medically trained - but my doctor Dr. De Smet says you should not do any kind of agressive PT.  Especially PT  used for athletes. 

Any time something you do in PT causes severe pain - you SHOULD NOT DO IT AGAIN.  Especially this early in your recovery.   Is this the PT that your doctor suggested?????  I would call my doctor and ask if this is what they suggested.   

I definitely would not do this type of PT if it were me. Again, I am not medically trained - I only had my hip resurfaced and had a very easy recovery. 

Severe pain is not normal.  THese are the typical exercises  most of us do early on  http://www.surfacehippy.info/exercisesearly.php

I would definitely be careful with what you let them do in the future.  I would be sure to call up you doctor and ask. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

baxter

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »
Pat always has great advice. She has helped me in navigating my recovery.
I had bilateal hips resurfaced in India. I was was very slow in my recovery, I
would only do the basic exercises of which Pay has shown you. My main exercise
eventually became in an exercise pool. Of course I had to wait for my incision to heal before
getting in the water.  If I had a PT working with me, they would need to gently gently gently.
Pain is not gain after a major surgery.
  This web site is very good source to good advice. I only wish I found this site earlier before
my surgery.

I wish for your husband a safe recovery,
Gary

Clarkefan

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 11:40:25 AM »
I was given clear and clearly written PT instructions on what I should and should not do (twice a day) -- which included absolutely forbidden movements. In PT, every bit of exercise I do is under my own power.

I had a therapist come to my home for the first time 7 days out, and the therapist merely amplified the written instuctions and ensured I wasn't doing anything dangerous.

I also found it never hurts to check in with the surgeon's office if you have questions. 

perlani

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:55:19 PM »
Thank you so much for all this feedback.  This is the first time we've gone through this so it's so great to get your advice.  Does anyone know of any other PT's who they may recommend who is in the Palo Alto area?  Obviously, we won't be going back to Agile Physical Therapy. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat