+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Welcome Back to Life - LBHR Mr Treacy 9th August 2012  (Read 67582 times)

rubyred

• Never Give Up
Welcome Back to Life - LBHR Mr Treacy 9th August 2012
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:19:41 AM »
Morning everyone,

Still in hospital and I'm 5 days post op. Hoping to come home tomorrow or Thursday but right now I just don't feel ready although I'm getting the feeling I'm being pushed out the door.

Surgey was a little longer than Mr Treacy's standard 25-30 mins, but he warned me of that. Think I was done in an hour.
I'm mobilising ok. Very tender, sore and stiff. Have yet to attempt the stairs and I'm having a real tough time getting back into bed, and I keep feeling faint  but all in all I'm happy and I can't wait for the regular muscle pain to ease so that I can be pain free.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:28:13 PM by rubyred »
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 5 Days Post Op Mr. Treacy BHR
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:25 AM »
Hi Ruby
Great to hear from you.  It takes some people a long time to get it all together after such major surgery.  Sounds like you are working on it.  I was getting dizzy a lot.  The meds sometimes do that.  Maybe it's the pain meds.  You might mention it to the nurse.

You will have surgery pain for awhile since you had such a bad hip.  In time you will be doing it all.  Most people have a difficult time getting back in bed since they can't lift their operated leg well.

Usually people only stay about 2 -3 days in the hospital, so it sounds like they are taking their time with you.  You will feel better when you get home.  Nothing like being home.  You will adjust and get along ok.  Just take things slowly.  You  will be surprised how well things will go.

I started you a new thread so people can find your posts easier.

Good Luck.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
Hang in there, Ruby.  Like Pat said, this is major surgery and we all react differently.  You will be home soon and everything will start looking up.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Spanielsal

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »
Hi Ruby, welcome to the other side! I am still very tender and sore too. I've got a touch of elephantitis in the operated leg and the pain isn't receding as quick as I'd like but it is early days. Am on day seven which is great, the first week anniversary, hope you get home safe and can start your proper recovery xxx
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »
Hey Ruby, it all sounds pretty normal and comparable to what I went through both times. I didn't have the dizzyness, but like Pat mentioned, that may be fixed by change in meds. I was out the door in four days the first time, three the second time around.

Having trouble with getting in and out of bed will be with you for a while, the hip needs to heal and the muscles are ticked off at you. Several of us have used different strategies for getting in and out that cut down on the pain, mine was tucking my undone ankle under the done one and using it to support the movement both in and out - other folks used a crutch, etc.

In context, the pain lessens - most of it was gone fairly quickly for me (four to five weeks), but it still lingers in some fashion for a while, while you heal and recuperate. You will notice though, that the pain of healing and its diminution is nothing like that grinding pain.

Like Pat says, home is a good healing place. You'll make some good progress, be moving around with impunity in no time.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »
Hi Ruby-
Fantastic news-congrats on the BHR-just think of the good times that lay ahead without that awful pain.
I think I saw you in the ROH yesterday, I'm not sure.
It was about 2.30 ish in the x-ray dept. If it was you, we were side by side on our beds for about 30 secs as we got moved around.
I'd been keeping my eye out for you based on your avatar pic and was fairly certain it was you but then the porter called you Michelle just as I was about to say hello if I heard Ruby.
After, I thought I might have read one your old posts with that name but maybe not.
Whoever she was looked a lot like you!
Great to see your improving, I found it much harder than I thought-the bruising looks like I've been run over!
I'm back home in York now, got my meds sorted and feeling good.
My post has been moved to THR, but I'll be following your progress closely.
I had a lot of dizziness too, but the next time i stood upthe following day, it was fine.
I felt it again when I did the stairs on crutches yesterday, but the physio said no probs, just overdid it a bit.
Take it easy, heal well.
Mike D
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:30:10 PM »
Hello Mike glad to see and hear you're doing so well.

That was me in x-ray!!! Ruby is my nickname :) you looked well! I was falling asleep waiting to be taken back to the ward. Were you on 2?

I'm definately home tomorrow. Physio's are pleased. I've never seen so much bruising and swelling in my life. That's really all that's causing me pain. I can now walk the length of the ward which is a huge improvement in itself. X

Welcome back to life.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »
I'm really glad for both of you. Sounds like things are going well  8)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
Keep up the good work ruby! X
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Mike D

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »
Ruby
I knew it!
I was on 12-the other end to you I think.
What about Mr Treacy then-cool dude, Eh?
When I was sat on the wheelchair, getting prepped for the slab, the theatre door swung open and he came out looking at his iphone!
Every word he spoke to me just filled me with confidence, that is a guy at the very top of his proffession.
One thing he said that will stick with me forever was-   " I've got the resurfacing kit, but you know it maybe a ceramic. Whatever hip I can give you will be stable, long lasting and pain free, see you in two minutes"
That relaxed me totally, and not getting the BHR I longed for just doesn't matter now.
I'm trawling this place for all the top recovery tips, hope yours goes well.
Also, now I'm relaxed at home, I'm thinking of the future without OA. What a great thought that is!
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 03:02:43 PM »
He's a confidence inspiring guy mike!
Not sure weather ive posted this before mike but when I was in the pre op room waiting for my op the anaesthesiologist was wanting to administer his drugs and I just had it in my head that when I was out Mr T might not do the op and someone else might.
So me being me the paranoid stubborn git that I am I told the anaesthesiologist in no uncertain terms was he knocking me out till I'd seen THE MAN!! So out come Mr T and as hay was up? And I said look doc I've just got it in my head that once I'm ko'd you won't do the op! So I said there 2 options either I just have a spinal or you give me your word that you and only you will do the op! He smiles and said I promise. That was good enough for me and out I went like a good boy ;D
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

morph

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »
Good stuff Ruby. Getting in and out of bed was definately the hardest bit for me. Herns tip with using the good leg really helped me. Icing will help with the swelling when you get out. Wishing you all the best.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »
He's a confidence inspiring guy mike!
Not sure weather ive posted this before mike but when I was in the pre op room waiting for my op the anaesthesiologist was wanting to administer his drugs and I just had it in my head that when I was out Mr T might not do the op and someone else might.
So me being me the paranoid stubborn git that I am I told the anaesthesiologist in no uncertain terms was he knocking me out till I'd seen THE MAN!! So out come Mr T and as hay was up? And I said look doc I've just got it in my head that once I'm ko'd you won't do the op! So I said there 2 options either I just have a spinal or you give me your word that you and only you will do the op! He smiles and said I promise. That was good enough for me and out I went like a good boy ;D

THAT, Danny is a great story...   ::)  I know the drill, sometimes having been accused of being a slight bit ornery.

Anna

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
Nice one Ruby! Glad to hear your finally coming out tomorrow! Keep us posted with all your progress.

Shame you and Mike didnt get to have a good gossip! x
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

bilateralbliss

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 02:24:25 AM »
Great to hear from you Mike :)
Ruby- Have a good journey home, just remember to stop after an hour for a little walk! I had trouble managing stairs- was in hospital a week, as others have said already, heal happily at home x
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »
You know it's weird I saw Mike come in and heard the porter call him Michael, but it's such a common name that I thought there's no way that could be him! Wish we could have said hello, mind you I was completely drugged up at the time!

I'm finally home. A normally 3 hour journey, took 4 hours due to the frequent amount of stops and the last leg was particularly painful despite taking all my meds. I feel wiped out and in a lot of pain but it's good to be home. I just can't wait for the swelling to go down.

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
Yay, Ruby, you're home! Take it easy chick and be very kind to yourself. Xxx
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Mike D

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
Ruby-
my swelling is slowly going down now-its feeling great.
I hope it goes as well for you, and I'm pretty sure it will.
I had a nurse visit today to change my dressing, got rid of the big bulky one they put on to get me through the journey home, so I got to see my lovely neat scar.
Even that makes a difference, now easier to sit down etc.
I'm catching up on sleep, eating properly and feeling better than I have for ages.
Pretty much everything I read on here about recovery is now happening to me, so we've got a lot to look forward to.
My first night home was rough, no sleep, sore etc but I've found that my body has now relaxed into healing and it just feels great.
Get some kip Ruby-really looking forward to your story unfolding, Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

kamoynsgi

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:55 PM »
Hi Ruby and Mike

Glad it went well for you both.  Had op last Thursday and am very glad to be home and recovering. Will post tomorrow

Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »
Nice to see all of you starting your recovery. Remember that ice and movement are your best friends, Ka - good to see things went well.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat