+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: QUESTIONS: Stationary bike/swelling of knee/use of ibuprofen  (Read 2950 times)

abc

QUESTIONS: Stationary bike/swelling of knee/use of ibuprofen
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:04:33 PM »
I am 5 weeks out from left hip resurfacing surgery (conserve plus) by Dr. Pritchett (Seattle, WA).  I started physical therapy a couple weeks ago.  The therapist suggested an upright stationary bike with the seat raised so as not to exceed the 90 degree restriction.  What duration and intensity can one tolerate at 5 weeks removed from surgery.  Can one use pain as a guideline or can one cause potential damage while experiencing no pain?  Also, at what point can one transition to a "cross trainer"?

Another question is in regard to swelling of the knee (same side as surgery) post operative.  Only in last week or so has the swelling in my knee decrease to the point where I have more than very limited movement.  Previous to last week, I could only minimally (less than 10 degrees) deflect my knee joint.  I wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar.  My knee is still fairly sore but I almost have full range now.  I had no problems with my knee prior to surgery and I believe that the limited use of my knee up until this point has translated to a slower recovery rate.

In regard to swelling, is ibuprofen effective?  What is the dosage and frequency is recommended?

Thanks in advance,
Al

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: QUESTIONS: Stationary bike/swelling of knee/use of ibuprofen
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:51:17 PM »
Hi Al

Each doctor has a different recovery protocol.  I was allowed to ride a stationary bike several weeks after surgery.  I could do anything I wanted as long as I listened to my body.  If anything hurt - it was not the appropriate activity to be doing.

You should really ask your doctor what he wants you to do.  A call to his office will answer all of your questions.

Many people have knee, back and their other hip bother them after surgery. Maybe your knee got moved around while they were dislocating your hip for surgery.  Also you are walking differently after surgery since you have a new hip and that might be causing your knee problems.  It is not unusual to many other aches and pains after surgery.

Ibuprofen is an NSAID and normally helps with swelling.  Normally a person can take 2 - 4 tablets if the doctor has recommended it.  2 is pretty standard.  I have been prescribed 4 when I had siatica attackes along with Vicoden and a muscle relaxer - talk about tough pain meds and often it still did not help.

Again, it is always best to ask you doctor what he recommends.  He might put you on Celebrex since it is easier on your stomach.  You really need to ask your doctors advice.  That is their business - hips, knees and pain.  They know the answers for your particular situation.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

abc

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
Thanks Pat.

I will try to contact my surgeon's office.  They are quite busy and not always receptive to questions (not by by intension by rather because the work load and number of staff).   I do believe that my surgeon is one of the very experienced and leading professionals in regard to hip resurfacing. 

I really appreciate your WEB site and feedback.  It is a great source of information.

I think that my knee swelling is a by-product of the dislocation as the swelling presented itself immediately after surgery and prior to any sort of load bearing.

dgm

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:45:34 AM »
Hi Al,
I am 8 weeks out and tried to ride the stationary bike around 5 weeks, but found it quite uncomfortable.  My doctor allowed the elliptical trainer at 2 weeks, I tried it at 5 and it felt much better than the bike.  The therapist said to lower the crossramp all the way and boost the resistance to 4-5 so it didn't feel so wobbly.  I didn't use the one with the arms that moved, I felt too unstable with it.  If your doctor gives the okay, it provides a good workout and has helped me regain strength in my leg.  Hope that helps.

Good luck with your recovery!
Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

abc

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 01:00:49 PM »
Thanks Denise, I will give a try.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear