+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can I get on a plane 19 days post op ?  (Read 2203 times)

m2taylor

Can I get on a plane 19 days post op ?
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:59:55 AM »
I am scheduled for right hip resurfacing on May 15th w. Dr. Lannin (palo alto).   will need left hip resurfaced, as well, next year perhaps.  I am considering moving my surgery UP to next Wed (Apr 16).     one very large concern :  have planned a trip to Maui w. my wife, 8 mos old son & 5 members of my wife's family ... NINETEEN days after Apr 16.     I am ok to skip hiking & even golf in favor of hanging out on the beach 7 days.    however, am I crazy to think I can even get on a plane for the 5 hour flight ?!? left a message for my ortho, but also wanted to check with my "peers"  :0) 
-Michael, 41 & fairly athletic (until recently)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Can I get on a plane 19 days post op ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:58:41 AM »
Hi Michael

I went to Belgium for my hip resurfacing.  It was an 8 1/2 hour flight.  I flew home at 10 days post op with no problems.  I got up and moved around every hour.  I was lucky and had bulkhead seats coming home with gave me a little more room.

Many other people have gone to India which is a 22 - 28 hour flight and returned home about the same time post op. They normally try to fly first class for such a long flight.

The 2 problems you would worry about would be that any swelling in your hip could make a small economy seat uncomfortable if you are a large person.  Also I don't know if you doctor would want any special Blood Clot prevention that soon after surgery.  I was taking heprin shots in my tummy.  I had to take 2 just before I got on the plane and was still wearing TEDS at the time.

This is something you really need to talk with your doctor about. 

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

john

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »
My two cents

I'd suggest you ask your Doctor but I sure wouldn't do it.
Get a medical excuse for a refund on the tickets and go when you can really enjoy it
do you really want to get sand and salt in the incision and what if there is some complication and you are far away from your surgeon
Even before I had bad hips the ride to Hawaii in the jumbo liner was incredibly uncomfortable

james

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:40:44 PM »
I had about a fourteen hour flt. a few days after my bi lat. If you tell the airlines they will put you in a good seat with some leg room, at least that's what they did with us. So you could avoid 1st class prices. I didn't have any trouble and also exercised every hour or so. And of course was on heparin.

I think hanging out on a beach would be a good thing.

my 002 cents.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat