+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: after 7 weeks Post op  (Read 4842 times)

kellie

after 7 weeks Post op
« on: April 24, 2008, 12:05:59 PM »
I am 7 weeks post op and wondering what is the best rehab for me..... I still have trouble sleeping at night due to the psoas muscle... it hurts and wakes me up... stiff and sore... if i am still it stiffens up...how can I prevent this.  it has hurt from surgery on...

also ROM... when can you start working on abduction...and what exercises are OK for early rehab.  I do have pain in the other hip and have to get it done also...when is the best time to do that?

:)  guess I am looking for exercises and a rehab schedule for athlete

austin.m

Re: after 7 weeks Post op
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:37:01 PM »
Kellie - I'm no expert, but my doctor basically said that any form of exercise is good - just be guided by pain. You want to work on strength as well as flexibility, and there are different exercises for each. I started working on abduction immediately, though it was the toughest exercise in the early days. I had both hips done 3 weeks ago and long walks, especially uphill (engage those glutes) were great. Any decent PT person can give you a simple set of exercises - and you probably want to talk to someone and get these exercises fairly soon. On the walking front, hills are good, as is "marching" (taking big steps and lift your knee as high as possible). Standing on one leg for 30 seconds x 10 reps was a really good strength exercise for me in the early days ( I had to alternate legs, but you can focus on one), as was lifting my leg to the side and holding it there (while standing). Most of the strength exercises can be done standing and therefore be done anywhere/anytime. Most of the stretching exercises require a surface to sit or lie on, but they're worth it as I think strength comes naturally while you need to completely retrain your hips to move in ways they haven't seen in years. Overall, it's great if you can find a friend who likes to walk and talk - but I really think it's worth a visit to a trained PT to get squared away on the exercises.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »
Hi Kellie

The one thing you need to do is get an OK from your surgeon as to what kind of rehab you should be having.

My doctor did not want me to do any kind of PT that was for athletes especially in the begining. 

I started water therapy at 6 weeks because I was so stiff after sitting.  I did regluar water walking forward, backwards and to each side.  Also a group of stretches and exercises given to me by a PT.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/poolexercises.php

I can't help you with anything specific for athletes except make sure what you do is cleared by your surgeon.  You are still early in your recovery and need to be careful.  On fellow was a number of months post op and was pulling his knee to his chest and ended up dislocating his BHR.  Not something that happens hardly every, but he jerked it as he pulled.   So just a warning to be careful - never force anything.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Cubby52

Re: 11 weeks post op abduction problems
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:30:13 AM »
Hi Pat and ev1:

I still have a lot of outside abduction pain in right operated hip. I cannot get the leg down sitting crossed legged; it still hurts so much to try and get it down (sitting like Indian). Also side bending bothers the site a lot. Anyone else have these problems? Is it possible I have bursitis in operated hip? Now what? Thanks so much for site, Pat. Cubby

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »
Hi Cubby

I am sorry, but I just don't know a lot about PT and exercises.  I do know some people take a very long time - months to a year or two to get back to normal if they were ever at normal sometime before surgery.

I have a  page about groin pain with some excellent exercises you might want to look at
http://www.surfacehippy.info/groinpain.php

I do know some people have developed bursitus in their operated hip.  I think they have gotten shots and it has also slowed them down.

I think you just might have mucles problems that are going to take a long time to resolve.

I am sorry I don't have more information for you, but I hope that as you continue your recovery, you will be able to do whatever you want to. You are still only 11 weeks post op.  Many people don't hit a platuea of feeling normal until 6 months or some a year.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Cubby52

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 02:12:50 PM »
Thanks Pat, I do think I'm going to get back in water; the last 20 yrs been doing aerobics but was big swimmer my whole life before that and I feel like the pool would be good. I did talk to my doctor at 6 wks check up and complained and he said if it still hurt after 3 mos. he'd give me a shot. But also heard those steroid shots are not very good for bones. Oh well its always something! Cubby

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »
I wanted to mention that when I started getting really active, especially in the water, my bursitus in my non operated hip started acting up.  The more I did, the worse it got.  I thought I needed a hip resurfacing, but my doctor said no. So I got a steriod shot to settle it down and now I just have to watch the reptitive motion.

I think the unoperated hip tends to act up a lot during recovery since it takes such a beating trying to carry most of the weight in an unbalanced position for the whole body.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »
Cubby - When was your surgery? I had mine about 7 weeks ago and that adduction movement is still the most limited ROM and uncomfortable for me. Everything else is great, but I'm just giving it time. I certainly don't expect to be able to sit indian style for several months.
- Tom

Cubby52

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 06:48:53 AM »
Hi Tom, My surgery has been almost 11 weeks now. To be anatomically correct it's the abduction (away from the body) in the outer side of hip that is such a problem. Sitting "indian style" has always been my favorite way to sit, it helps my back problems too. I can still hardly get my knee down half way and that's the worst area of soreness when I attempt to walk. Have you heard how long it takes to get better?? I am doing all kinds of stretches even psoas stretches in case that's been affected in the pelvis but it's a SLOW process! Because that area was sore prior to the surgery leads me to think I may have bursitis there but before surgery I could get the knee down to the floor no problem. I hope it's just a matter of time. Thanks for response, Cubby

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 09:54:51 AM »
Hi Cubby - Maybe others on this site can comment. I had to stop sitting indian style (lotus position) many years ago due to the pain, so I'm kind of out of the habit. I know that seems like the most difficult movement to regain now, since that joint went through a major trauma.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about bursitis. Maybe ask your doctor.
Good luck - Tom

xocy

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 10:50:57 AM »
Hi Cubby, I am 8 weeks post op from Bilateral with Dr. Gross. I had them done a day apart (Monday and Wednesday) and they felt completely different from one another. While in the hospital I think I dragged the right leg across the bed while getting out of the left side. It felt like a little pop and from that point on, I had pain that felt like a "knot" or "cramp" in the right hip. It gadually got better, but took weeks. Being a bit paranoid, I had Dr. G xray it before I left the hospital. The joint was fine. Probably just a tissue strain. At this point the left one felt like a blunt force trama down the side of the leg which was easily tolerated.

Weeks later when the right one had come around, I made some sort of stupid move with the left hip and guess what, it got a "knot" or "cramp" in it. Looking back on it I think the best treatment was slow walking up hills. Don't do more than your body tells you to, but you should feel it. I have had a fast recovery and I believe that it is because that from the first day home, the only place for me to walk was my long hilly driveway.

As for range of motion. I have not tried to sit indian style yet, but I can sit with the soles of my feet together with knees spread. Yesterday I put on my socks by placing my ankle on the opposite knee. I haven't done that in 18 months! I even did it with both hips.

As for bursitis or any other inflamation, I would try celebrex. It worked great for me and I will take it now if needed.

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6/23/08  R 6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Cubby52

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »
Thanks Tom and Mike, I'll give it some more time and will definitely try celebrex to see if there's any improvement. I find walking uphill helpful too Mike! I have a treadmill and have been on it slowly but upward incline at about 21/2 weeks. I also find it helpful to walk backwards uphill for some reason.
  I am very active and have tried lots of different stretches and even step aerobics stepping up on ball of foot with op hip to stretch it. I teach yoga for a living so you can see why this cross legged position is high priority for me not to mention I have absolutely loved that position. Even at a formal affair---if there's long linen table cloths, I am sitting cross-legged on my chair - lol who could know? Anyway thanks for your insights and if anyone else has a comment it is always greatly appreciated. Cubby

xocy

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:40:50 PM »
The two links below are from Dr. Gross' web site. The first one is for the first six weeks and the second for thereafter. I still do the first set with ankle weights and with the leg exteinsion, I have alsway let the foot go off the edge of ther bed to get a full range of motion.

I know these are very elemetary for you at this point and especially for a trained yoga professional. I'm just thinking that because of your yoga background you are pushing too hard, and possibly skipping some of the basics.

Good Luck,
Mike

http://grossortho.com/forms/PatientCarePaths/ProvHosp_THA_CarePath.pdf

http://grossortho.com/forms/Others/PhaseIIHipExercises.pdf
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Cubby52

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Hello Mike, Thanks for the links; You might be right that I am pushing too hard too soon. My hip feels quite good today but I'm off to teach yoga in 45 mins. and just looking at those exercises and precautions will remind me to take it easier in class. I am almost 3 mos. post op and doing way more than those simple exercises so thanks and I'm letting up starting right now! Also, looking for a pool looks like the next step for me. Hope your recovery is going along fine. Cubby

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »
Hey Cubby,

Mike was practically my room mate during our hip surgeries..He's my buddy...Hey Mikey!!!!
Anyway Cubby, when u gain access to a pool it will open up a whole new world to you. Aquatic therapy is awesome. Pat has a bunch of exercises on this site that I printed out and use when I am at the pool...I'd love to try Yoga but I have difficulty sitting still for more than 30 seconds...Good Luck recovering...

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:00:43 AM by CITY2SOUTH »
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

Cubby52

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »
Hi Lisa; And you know Mike....lol....small hippy world. Those cramps he talked about (mike) sounded strange but I've had a lot of lower leg cramping which I never had before about 4 wks. later just on the op hip leg. I'll be adding on pool soon and will tell you how I feel. Used to be a big swimmer a while back so I think it's time to get back and do something else that's non-weight bearing. So what a trip this op has been altho I'm feeling great today. Really looking forward to sitting eventually in cross-legged position down the road. that's the reason I opted for this surgery prolly like ev1 else; faster recovery and more ROM. We'll jsut have to :GIT it Done!" Be smilin' Cubby

ginnie

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 09:30:52 PM »
can you get into water ??  a local YMCA or do you have a pool ,, I am an aquafit instructor and the water has helped immensly, also pat has some great streatches on this site.

Cubby52

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 08:45:54 AM »
Yes Ginny, Pool is the next step for me; I used to be on swim teams forever when I was younger and really have not gotten back to that for over 20 years. Went the cardio route but I can see that the pool is exactly what I need now. I must say that my outer hip just in the past 3 days has seemed to be improving. I am so thrilled; all of a sudden it's just not so sore all the time. I started doing some of the very beginning exercises again and lo and behold at almost 3 mos. post op I feel better and better!! Thanks for advice, Cubby

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat