+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mr McMinn  (Read 3579 times)

happyhopper

Mr McMinn
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
Hi everyone
I wondered if anyone had had a re-surfacing operation done by Mr McMinn in England recently?
I notice that on his website there are a number of testimonials but no dates are mentioned.

I also wonder if anyone has had a ceramic on metal re-surfacing?  I would welcome any feedback.

Many thanks.

obxpelican

Re: Mr McMinn
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »
McMinn is the gold standard of the UK for hip resurfacings, if you have him as your surgeon you are blessed with one of the best.

This is something we preach on here over and over, find the best, you have found it.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:05:52 AM »
Mr McMinn is nick named the father of modern hip resurfacing and for good reason. There are plenty of McMinn hippies on here who I'm sure will share their experiences with you.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:55:47 AM »
Myself and Bilateralbliss are McMinn patients. Same day 6th December 2011.

My Brother had his BHR with McMinn 12 years ago and is a 3rd Dan at Karate.

Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »
McMinn wrote the book, literally, he wrote the book, "Modern Hip Resurfacing", 2009.  He's got excellent stats, also. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Jezza25

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »
Hi Happy

I'm 7 weeks post op having had a MOM Left BHR from Mr Mcminn mid November 2012 and it has gone brilliantly so far. As your other respondents have stated he is the daddy when it comes to this procedure being the inventor and one of the main cheer leaders for it globally. I spent a long time looking into who, where and what and to have the guy with the most operations under his belt able to do it was a really simple choice as success rates for this operation have an enormous amount to do with the surgeon's experience.

As one of the other guys here has pointed out, if you can get Mr Mcminn then do so. Hospital was good too, care staff lovely, nurses and surgical support superb, food lousy but you can't have it all.

Happy to share my experience with you.

jezza
L BHR

McMinn 13/11/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:22:24 AM »
Jezza the man with the most operations under his belt is actually my surgeon and McMinns partner in developing the BHR Mr Ronan Treacy he's done more thandouble the number of McMinn ;)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
Yeah Danny but McMinn is way better than your surgeon  LOL  <jk>  ;D

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
 ;D lol like it chuck.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jezza25

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:48:35 AM »
I'll get Treacy to do the right one if that goes and we can have a proper comparative study. Love the my surgeon's better than yours fight, brilliant.  :D
L BHR

McMinn 13/11/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:17:35 AM »
Let's be honest you really can't go wrong with McMinn, Treacy, Gross, Su, De Smet, Bose, Prichett etc the moral is to go to one of these WORLD CLASS EXPERTS!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

happyhopper

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
Hi
Thanks everyone for your comments.
I just wanted to check that his recent stats were as good as in the past.
I don't think Treacy does Ceramic on metal Resurfacing, only McMinn??  Or does anyone else know differently.
Also I wondered is it likely that I will get back full Range of Movement after the op?
I also have very sensitive muscles and my body reacts badly to trauma and I wondered if anyone could give advice how I can manage this after the op.  If I can't move much after the op my muscles will seize up.  Any feedback welcome.

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
Happyhopper,

Another Treacy patient here, and when it comes to the actual hip, I couldn't be happier. I too though have sensitive muscles, although I didn't know this until the op was done!
I'm battling to get them all working normally again and i've a long way to go, but my advice would be to do the exercises given to you and do them as often as you can manage safely.

Now, Mr Treacy doesn't prescribe PT after his surgeries, though in my case it's been proven that would have been of HUGE benefit to me as my hip flexors/psoas have pretty much hardened to a rock and have caused many further issues that I just wasn't prepared for.
I've been attending a chiropractor 2x weekly for deep massage and about to start intensive hydrotherapy, at Mr Treacy's request, next week to help me regain strength and ROM. The trouble is this has all come about 3 months too late and the damage has been done and it's going to take a long time to get back to normal.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 06:59:27 PM »
I believe the ceramic on metal is not a regular thing.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
Hopper - you will likely have better ROM than you've had in a long time after you get through the restrictions (6 weeks) and after you get some regular exercise/PT, a few months down the road.  I'm at 2 years on left and about 1.5 years on right and I haven't tried to increase my ROM, probably should, but I feel like I've kind of gotten about as much as I can.  It's a little less than what I think I would have had if I hadn't had OA, (funny sentence huh?).  But the fact is that I had OA and bad and painful ROM pre-op.  Now I have no pain and decent ROM.  Everytime I cut my toenails, cross my legs when I sit, lift my knee upward, put on socks,...I am reminded that it doesn't hurt anymore.

ROM is slow to gain back though, so be patient. 

Oh and to tie the thread together, McMinn knows a lot about ROM ;)  and I might add that I've heard that McMinn has a pretty good sense of humor.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

happyhopper

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Hi Thanks for your response.
Hope your exercises are starting to relax?  Hopefully if you work hard you will improve as it is only a few months following your op, I was left a year before I started  to get reasonable help. 
I have found the best stretch for hip flexors is to kneel on one knee with the other foot flat on the ground and then move forwards and hold for 30 secs. Repeat on both sides 3 times a day.  I have also just started work on a treadmill at the gym, my doctor has given me a free referral for 12 weeks at the local gym.  I was sceptical at  first but walking at the slowest speed heps push my hip backwards and it is flexing back a little more. 
Do you live in England?  I notice that most people on this site are from the U.S.  They are also male and I think that surgeons are now reluctant to do Hip Resurfacings on  small boned females (like me).  I wonder if it is because our muscles are not as strong and more sensitive?  What do you think?
Also are you swimming, Mr McMinn said to me, he likes his patients to swim at 6 weeks.
If you find any other good exercises, please let me know,  my IT is also very tight.
Best wishes

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 02:22:11 AM »
There are several reasons surgeons say they won't resurface small boned women. They are because the smaller articulating bearings apparently wear more. Also it is even harder to accurately place the devices. There are other reasons but I believe these are the most commonly tauted.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

happyhopper

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
Thanks, Dannywayoflife
I got the impression that the bearings wear more when not accurately placed and it is harder to get accuracy on smaller boned woman.  I gather that Bose in India gets good results on small boned Indian woman and therefore it is the surgeons skills that are most important?  You mentioned that there are other reasons and I wonder if you can advise me what they are?
Thanks 

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »
It's something to do with friction co efficient smaller bearings apparently wear more than the bigger ones. I'm sure some of our engineers could explain. Also I think bone quality can be an issue in women.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

happyhopper

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
Thanks, I am aware that surgeons don't like to do HR operations on older women because of bone quality, but when you get to a certain age you may as well have a THR as your activity is less and the THR should hopefully last the rest of your life.
I will need to have a ceramic resurfacing as I am allergic to nickel.
Do you think that hip resurfacing patients get more muscle issues than THR patients?  I am reading about a number of issues or is it just that we are generally younger than THR patients and want and expect to do more active sports? 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat