+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1-Year Follow Up.....In Person Or Not??  (Read 1340 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
1-Year Follow Up.....In Person Or Not??
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »
I am due for my one-year post-op follow up with Dr. Gross, and saw that he posts a protocol online with a prescription for a PT exam, an X-ray, and a metal ion test.

I live 3 hours from Dr. Gross' office.  Even with six hours of driving, it seems like I would save time rather than getting 3 different appointments, filling out 3 sets of paperwork, etc...

Did other Gross hippies go to Columbia for their exam, or stay home?  Just curious.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Dee Dee

Re: 1-Year Follow Up.....In Person Or Not??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:42:40 PM »
I am skipping my 6-week check up on the second hip and doing it remote.  They asked me to come back in the fall for my "1" year check up which will be half way between for the  2 hips. 

My drive is 7.5 hours and I just could not see making 2 trips this year. (Unless I have trouble)

If you are having any issues go in person!

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
I am a lot further, I did the one year though.

Chuck

I am due for my one-year post-op follow up with Dr. Gross, and saw that he posts a protocol online with a prescription for a PT exam, an X-ray, and a metal ion test.

I live 3 hours from Dr. Gross' office.  Even with six hours of driving, it seems like I would save time rather than getting 3 different appointments, filling out 3 sets of paperwork, etc...

Did other Gross hippies go to Columbia for their exam, or stay home?  Just curious.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
I am a long way away (Idaho and Hawaii), so I have never made it back for the check-ups. I have found the long distance approach to work well, though I did miss seeing Dr Gross and Lee. Timewise, I would bet that you could get the three events done in a lot less than six hours; more like a total of three hours at most. Depending on your insurance, the visit to Dr Gross might cost less, plus the chance to get personal answers to any questions you might have. If I were three hours away, I would probably make the drive.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

phillwad

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »
This makes me realize how lucky I am to be only 45 min away from my doctor

Miguelito

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »
I am trying to decide what to do. I would have to fly from Boston (though I'm told Jetblue now has a direct flight).

Can I add to imgetinold's original question, and also ask whether they really expect out of staters to fly in? Dr. Gross's website has conflicting information on this (or at least did the last time I checked).

For my six week I was told verbally not to worry about not flying back for it (I did scrupulously fill out the form, had the PT exam and x-ray as I know how serious Dr. Gross is about tracking his patients). Does the same hold true for the one year (not to worry about flying in for it)?

Thanks and sorry for the hijack!

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:25:25 AM »
I am the total slacker.  I have had no issues or pain with the hip and decided to skip the one year.  While I would be interested in seeing what the metal results might have been, I feel that my outcome and lack of any complications or pain made me lazy, so I let the days slip by.  At the 15 months point, Dr. Gross's office called me and asked a bank of questions about my mobility, level of activity and any issues.  If I were closer I think I would have done it just to preclude any doubts later.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat