+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Running with Hip Resurfacing -- Updates Anyone?  (Read 4500 times)

Canadian-Ice

Running with Hip Resurfacing -- Updates Anyone?
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »

Hi All,

I'm not yet a surface hippy, but just wondering if anyone would like to share their running stories post-op?

Uni-lateral or bi-lateral, long distance or sprinting, competitive or recreational, whatever your story, it would be great to hear about it.

Any problems, progress, or victories?

BrianMc

Re: Running with Hip Resurfacing -- Updates Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »
Im 8 months post op, and have started running some in a controlled fashion, about once per week.  I was never an avid runner, just ran to stay in shape.  I would usually run about 3-5 miles.  Never cared much about the distance, just tried to run as hard as I could for 20-30 minutes.  But honestly, I hadn't done that in years due to the arthritis.  I started to run a little after 6 months.  I ran 1/2 mile pretty slow (maybe 10 minute mile) at the Y on an indoor vinyl track.  First day after running, i was sore as ever, but it was the toes, feet, calfs, knees but not the new hip  :)  I was told to monitor the recovery, if it took more than 1 day, I may be overdoing.  So far my hip hasnt hurt the next day, and rarely hurts either during or after a run.  While I have run on the street twice for a 1 mile and a 1 1/2 mile run, I normally am indoors this time of year since its typically cold and dark when I run.  I've progressed from the 1/2 mile to where I ran 3 miles indoors this week, at a pace of about 25-28 minutes.  The hip was a little sore this week, and I noticed some soreness the last 1/2 mile, and had a mild limp when I finished.  I think the muscles got pretty worn out, I dont think it was bone / metal issue.  Reasoning is that it only was sore when i got up from the chair, never a dull ache or anything.  After a couple of days, I cant tell anything, so I'll try it again in a day or two.  So far, I am taking it easy, but no problems.
Right BHR 5-3-2012

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:08:31 AM »
Welcome, Iceman.

Today is my one-year anniversary.  Like BrianMc, I am not a "runner", but I probably ran 3-4 miles, 2-3 times per week.  Typically in the 7:30 to 8:00/mile range.

Now, at 1 year I can do pretty much ANYTHING without even thinking about the hip....EXCEPT....running.  I started trying at 6 months, and was perfect until about 1/2 mile, and then my hip would start to get sore and I would have to stop.  That has continued to be the case since then.  One day, I was visiting where I used to run and ran my favorite trail.  It was a 3 mile run, and I ran/walked it.  I probably ran a solid 1/5 miles of it if you added it up, and I was hobbling for three days.

So, now I'm on a plan.  I ran for 3 minutes each day (length of time that it doesn't start to hurt) for a week.  Now I'm on week 2 at 4:00 per day.  I'll add a minute each week, as long as it doesn't hurt.

My PT friend told me to do a lot of balance work.  Standing on the operated leg only, on a Bosu ball, 1/2 squats on just that leg.  I'm sure some formal PT would accelerate this process.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »
     I've been gone from the site for a long while...selfish, but also an indicator that I've been fortunate and had no real concerns since 6 months.  I was a distance plodder prior to the hip breaking down and I was eager to get back at it.  The ease of walking so quickly and for such long distances had me convinced that I would be running great at 6 months when Dr. Gross gives the all clear.
     Had lots of hip flexor and groin weakness and pain whenever I pushed it too much and got a little discouraged.  At about my 1 year anniversary, however, the pain was less, the stability was greater and I found myself worrying about and feeling all the other aches associated with picking up mileage, but NOT the hip.
     It has been pretty much that way for the last 6 months.  I take it easy on the pace, but even that is improving and back to where I was pre-injury.  For a guy who was damned grateful to just be walking without pain again, I have to say that I'm thrilled with the overall outcome and progress to date.  At this point I can't envision being a recreational marathoner again, but the 10ks are certainly in my wheelhouse now.
     I feel really fortunate to have come across the HR solution and Dr. Gross.  It has healed me physically and certainly emotionally.
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
I'm similar to Curt and Imgetin with starting in too quickly?  maybe.  I was never a huge runner, once in a while I'd train for a 10k or something like that.  More sprinting in soccer than much else in the last years leading up to HR.  At one year, I started doing 3 milers with some sprints to get in shape for soccer.  I felt great up to about 2.5 miles and then I'd get a torn muscle sort of pain in the flexor area.  I assumed it was because I was jumping in too fast.  I then slowed it down and actually stopped for a few months.  I then jumped head long into the summer soccer season running essentially 90 minutes games with lots of sprinting.  During that season, each game the pain got worse, although it would go away with one night's sleep.  I was doing weekly games with little excercise only my daily bike commute.  The problem went away after taking time off. 

In summary, I think I jumped in too quick and I also think I need more in between hip strengthening exercises, like what Imgetin talks about.  However, with sprinting, I might be a touch slower, but it isn't really that noticeable and I think if I worked into properly, I think I could be sprinting without any problems. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

sdunn4

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
I'm on a week long business trip in Naples, FL and have run on the beach 3 times, each between 1.5 and 2.5 miles at a slow pace.  All feels great with the hip!

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »
I can tell you this; if you work hard on your recovery, walking, gym, riding the bike, and if you start slow and build up slowly, using your head as well as your legs, you will return to running and your new hips will not be holding you back.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

stephen1254

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »
I will second what Woody wrote. I started running at 6 months, slowly at first, but was up to 3 miles within a week. No issues of any sort whatsoever. I kept the running to every other day and a maximum of 3 miles up until the middle of December - too much snow on the ground now.

One recommendation I have, and as others have mentioned here, is the Hoka One One running shoe. It's cushioning greatly reduces the impact on your joints and muscles.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

phillwad

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
I am 16 months after my second, 22 months after my first - I am going out this afternoon for a trail run - not far just a couple of miles - slow and steady.  Taking advantage of breaks between snow here in Cleveland.  I wish we had more snow and I could be cross country skiing 8)

David

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »
I am at 16 months post-op with the RBHR. Started dabbling with the run a bit over 4 months.  Like many, I pushed the envelope with going longer distances (couple of half marathon races and half ironman triathlon) a bit too early before regaining the proper strength to support those distances with the speed I wanted, and thus suffered muscle, tendon and bursitis issues. Been really concentrating on strengthening through lifting and power yoga and it has made all the difference.  Strengthening, cross training and patience are the keys to a successful return to running. 
Best...good luck.
ps...had my best 13 mile trail run this morning to date...I am horizontal,but the hip feels good!
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Arrojo

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »
Hi!

I love running - indeed running was the only reason I went for the resurfacing.  Unlike normal runners, I also do (did) a lot of masters track and field.  Like the 100 meter dash.  I hope to start sprint training in a couple of months to hopefully qualify for the National Senior Games.

Until then, I am doing the distance running thing to regain my aerobic fitness.  I started light jogging at 6 months, after clearance by Dr. Su.  I have slowly ramped up the intensity and speed; 9 months out I am now running 15-20 miles per week, including 2 track workouts.  I have also run three 5K races, am planning a 5 mile race in February and signed up to captain my 7th Reach the Beach team in the fall.  My distance running times are a little disappointing to me so far, but each race was faster than the previous one and I think it is really conditioning, rather than anything to do with my legs.  Hopefully I will keep improving.

In addition to running, I am also doing P90X to get back into shape as well.  Besides being sore all over, I feel great.  P90X has Yoga, stretching, all kinds of strengthening for the hips, legs, abs, core, upper body.

One huge thing I recommend for any hippy, but espcially running hippies - don't let scar tissue build up.  6 weeks or so after your surgery (subject to your doctor's clearance) start getting Active Release Technique (ART) or deep tissue massages to break up that scar tissue.  Too many people neglect this, it seems, and even though their implant is fine, they get other soft tissue pain that prevents them from returning to an active lifestyle.  I think a lot of the 'too much too soon' issues are because of this.

In any event, good luck to you!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:20:30 PM by Arrojo »
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

phillwad

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 08:07:58 PM »
Looks like I am in a post with lots of runners - I am just getting back.  I did a 2 mile run yesterday in 20 min - I am simply glad I was able to run without stopping.  Legs are sore/tight today so this evening I will use the foam roller and do stretching/CORE for 60 min.  I should end with a 60 min heart rate test on my bike/trainer as part of the winter bike work out.  It will be a good day. 

Running.....Ahhhh...that is hard work  :-[.  I am glad you all enjoy it  ;D

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 07:02:48 AM »
The deep tissue massage(of any type) is a huge help!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
I haven't posted in a long time because I have been busy living my new life.  I rarely think about my hip now 1.5 years after replacement.

I was a very active runner up until a car accident ten years before my BHR.  After six months I started running.  I did a sprint triathlon at about nine months. 

I have had soreness in the hip flexor area, groin, and IT band.  Backing off, stretching, and strengthening have helped.  I would highly recommend strengthening all the small supporting muscles in the hip area.  Balancing exercises and lateral exercises will help alot.

I also concur on the massage and aggressive rolling of the muscles.

Best wishes.
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »

Thank you all for your reports, both realistic and encouraging and those in between. I wouldn't be able to sleep as well at night were it not for you guys.

I'm still running, 3 times a week cross country as part of a general fitness plan, hoping to regain a 5 minute mile or better. With resurfacing an option down the road, I don't expect quitting will ever have to be a necessity for long.

Jon

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »
I'm at 13 months post-op and have been running the last few months.  Generally between 3-4 miles per run, 12-15 miles per week.  Wide pace range (7-9 mins per mile).  I remain sensitive to any pains or tweaks so just increasing slowly.  Had to quit running cold in 2007 owing to OA so really just trying to rebuild strength now.
McMinn RBHR, December 2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal