+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: becoming bilat  (Read 1907 times)

lyn

becoming bilat
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »
I was wondering how the 2cnd hip operation  and  recovery for those who have had to move on with their second hip. I will probably have my other hip done this year. The first hip so far as done really well, but I'm only 5 mnths out. Thanks, lyn

maxx6789

Re: becoming bilat
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 02:48:52 AM »
one of the pros is knowing what to expect and how the recovery process will go. i was so nervous before operation #1, but mostly just so excited before operation #2. it's worth noting that your body will not respond identically.

for me, my leg was stronger, quicker after the first operation. the recovery for the second was just a little slower (i am talking like just a few days slower). i am sure, just as many people will report the opposite. however, having two good hips is better than one!! i feel so much better now that both hips are feeling good.

best wishes to you on both sides!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »
Like maxx, I was mostly excited for the second, having convinced myself that it was going to be better to be without any OA pain at all. 

I was right, the recovery seemed a bit faster, and I think the PT that I went through not only helped the last leg, but helped the first one to become uber hip. The last one is still trying to catch up.

I'd recommend it highly based on my own experience.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »
Same with me, I was really stoked to have no OA pain and knowing that the second hip could feel as good as the first hip was super positive for me and very motivating.  My second recovery was faster, also.  You might also be saving money by having them both done in the same plan year, but I wouldn't make that the main deciding factor. 

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
Same as the guys above, apprehensive before #1, second time, I was looking forward to the end of the OA and getting it done.  The second hip recovery was faster and easier, he did the worst one first, and I think also the familiarity and knowledge of how much better it would be helped as well.

Best regards going forward

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

lyn

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will know soon enough. I think part of me is worried that the 2cnd hip wont be as easy as the first. The first went so well so far, that I'm thinking that it cant happen twice. I dont know why I feel that way Dr. Gross is excellent....Thanks again....lyn

PattyM

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
Hi
Was wondering if you guys did the 2ND one sooner than the first. I am scheduled for the 2ND
one but I am not anywhere near the mess I was for the 1st.
And I am more nervous thinking I could end up without the matched
set I am hoping for.
Patty
Right BHR Della Valle 8/20/12
Left  BHR Della Valle 3/18/13

Marco Polo

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 10:17:28 AM »
Patty:

I assume you are worried about getting a THR instead of resurfacing.  Has Dr. Della Valle taken recent x-rays?  What does he say about the bone quality and the likelihood he can do a resurfacing?If he expressed doubts, did he do a CT scan?

Marco
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

PattyM

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »
Marco,
Yes I am worried that I am going in for the matched pair and
will wake up to bad news.
I would be very upset!
The hip is in much better shape than the rt one was. The rt one
was more squared off from grinding in there! left one looks good.
I know I shouldn't worry, but since I know what to expect thats the only
thing left to worry about. (sort of!)
So is the reason people end up with THR a bone quality issue?
Patty 

fenceman

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
OK, I was opposite from everyone else.  My first 4-1/2 years ago I though was going to be very easy. I had read things about the surgery and thought I would be one of those guys running marathons 8 weeks after surgery :).  My recovery was much slower than I thought, although not untypical. 

For my second I became worried and nervous 2 weeks before surgery.  Thankfully this time was better and recovery has been easy so far. 

I did not let my 2nd hip get as bad as my first.  With my first I had done PT, stretching, massage and chiropractic before I finally decided on surgery.   
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

PattyM

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
Yes I too did everything I could come up with
thinking I would never have surgery. Wasted 10 years !!
That is the reason for jumping into surgery so quickly
this time. I am too old to waste another day!

Dee Dee

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
Lynn,

Hope all goes well with your second.  My second hip was not as deteriorated as the first when I got it done. But I decided to get it over with rather than waiting too long. I was a little nervous about starting all over again, but it goes by fast.  The thing that caught me off guard was how sore my 1st hip got while supporting the 2nd.  My recovery has been different on #2.  Faster to get off crutches and cane, slower to get the ROM to put on shoes.  It feels strong but still stiff and sore some days.  Sleeping is still rough some nights, but slowly getting consistently better.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

lyn

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 09:05:04 PM »
Thanks for the info Dee, I think I'm in the same situation as you. My right hip is not as bad as my left hip was. It is starting to just now bother me after walking a couple of miles. Im just trying to figure out if I should wait or do it later on this year.  It so hard to plan anything....Even though my operated hip feels good, and the first op went well, Im apprehensive about doing the 2cnd hip. I think it is because my non operative hip doesnt feel that bad, and my mind doesnt accept going into surgery unless it is like my first hip, which I was standing crooked and limping. I will take my time and hopefully my instincts will kick in. Thanks, lyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat