+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain in the joint  (Read 2410 times)

jesswhelan

Pain in the joint
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
Does anyone ever have pain in the joint upon abduction? I am over 7 months post op and almost everytime I abduct my leg I feel a sharp pain right in the joint. I was doing some bench presses the other day and just laying down and straddling the bench, barely moving my hip out at out causes this pain. Could it possibly be due to the bone not absorbing/growing properly around the implant?? Could anyone please comment on this. Im getting worried at this point.  I saw my doctor, Peter Brooks, two weeks ago and my xrays looked perfectly normal.  If for some reason the bone didnt grow right around the impact wouldnt the xray have shown this. Doctor really didnt comment on the pain, said everything looked fine. 

jesswhelan

Re: Pain in the joint
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »
Or could this pain just be scar tissue in the joint breaking up?

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »
I believe that's one of the things they look for, the improper growth of the bone into the implant. I'd trust that it's an important indicator to inspect the XRays for.

If you're really concerned, I'd just call his office and ask if they saw any anomalies, and tell them your abductor is hurting a bit. I was also a bit slow on the abductor, didn't really start doing machines for that until about a year.

It's probably just muscular, Jess - maybe those muscles are just lagging a bit. It's worth the call just to clear your mind. I made plenty of those calls without batting an eye about it.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Jess,
On my 1st hip by Dr. Brooks I use to have a pain in the hip if I would "overstride" or take too long of a step.  I would also feel the same pain when lying on my side and doing a wide hip abduction.  This did go away sometime after 1 year. 
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

jesswhelan

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
Thanks for the information. The pain you described upon performing side lying abduction.. Did it feel like a pinching type sensation? For me it almost feels like the hip gets stuck and is impinged which is when I feel the pain. Did you experience this?

fenceman

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
Jess, It was a fairly sharp pain in or near the joint and it felt like I took the hip too far.  Not exact but similar to what you describe.  I am not able to produce anymore 4-1/2 years out.

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat