+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: With all this alloy can I still be cremated?  (Read 2292 times)

Gino_Tortellini

• "Keep your tire spinnin!" - Me
With all this alloy can I still be cremated?
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:12:12 PM »
I searched this forum and found nothing on this topic....

I was trying to think of a question that Dr. Gross had never had before but didn't get the chance to ask him during my six week follow up.

It is a bit morbid, but I am curious, can a person with Cobalt Chrome hips still be cremated with those implants in place?

G_T
Dr. Gross / Biomet Recap Uncemented / Bi Lat / Dec 3 & 5, 2012 / @48 1/2 yrs due Cam FAI

bosoxgordon

Re: With all this alloy can I still be cremated?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
Gino, you made me chuckle when I read this. I bet that would be a question that Dr. Gross has never had to answer. My guess is the implant will survive the fires pretty well.

Look at it this way, you'll have something cool to leave your family. As long as we're being morbid, your grand kids can use it as a top.
Scott

Dr. Gross Left Uncemeted Biomet 11/13/2013

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
your grand kids can use it as a top.

;D :o ::) 8) ;D ;D ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:57:56 PM »
@Gino, that is a great question.  I was planning on getting cremated but never thought of this.

@bosoxgordon - that is freakin' hilarious.  What a great idea.  "What you doing kids?" "Playing with grandpa's hip"

Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Daniel
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Mr.Box

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:25:39 AM »
I have to say.. +1 to bosoxgordon Made me laugh too!
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

John C

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »
Good one Gino. I can speak from experience (luckily not my own). My mother had a full THR, and wished to be cremated. When we received her ashes, I forgot to ask what happened to the THR, but it was not included.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:32:22 PM »
I've wonderd this same thing in the past and I bet some of the surgeons have had this question.  We all have a bit of morbid curiosity.  As a matter of fact, I asked Pritchett, with my wife in the room, sort of assuming that she would be the dealing with the 2 BHRs and a box of ash some day in the future.  I asked if they can be re-used and he said it wouldn't be done in the US, but maybe somewhere else.  I think that was a joke though.  Then I thought about recyling the alloy.  Geez, its a rather rare alloy, so maybe the local steel recyler would give you something for it.  With steel and copper theft these days, you'd probably have to show proof that it came from your spouse (after they died, and not from a homocide).

With a THR, if it's mostly Ti, it may have a lower melting temp than CoCr, but I don't think the crematorium temp is high enough to melt either.  The plastic on the THR, if it has a poly cup, will most likely be turned to ash.  The THR might be too long to fit in the the basic box that they give the ashes in.  The HR components probably would fit in the box fine with the ashes.  If it wasn't included, I wonder if the funeral home hangs onto the metal and then recycles it in a batch, unless of course the next of kin asks for it back.  Which might seem a little weird.   On the other hand, during a ceremony when spreading ashes, you probably don't want to be dealing with a large clunky chunk of metal.  Might be a little awkard.

Great question.  Now I'm curious.  I should just call the local funeral home and ask them the question.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »
Luckily, since my hip got fixed, I've decided not to die after all!!
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »
Never thought about it before.  I think I'll suggest that my wife make some wind chimes out of my leftover parts, then when the wind blows she can think of me, how freakin romantic is that ?  ;D  The rest of me will be in hell but whatever, enjoy the chimes... Hahahahaha this is the most effed up topic in here yet, awesome !

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »
Luckily, since my hip got fixed, I've decided not to die after all!!

You're right curt, it's been done, so why follow the crowd?

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
Never thought about it before.  I think I'll suggest that my wife make some wind chimes out of my leftover parts, then when the wind blows she can think of me, how freakin romantic is that ?  ;D  The rest of me will be in hell but whatever, enjoy the chimes... Hahahahaha this is the most effed up topic in here yet, awesome !

Love this, Bill - you can still make music afterwards. I think I'll suggest this to my daughters - I have two hips, so they don't have to fight over it.

mslendzion

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »
too funny!!  I hope they give them back once cremated.  I really am curious to know what happen???
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 08:25:23 AM »
I think you will find all metal joints get recycled, even some of the bone has to ground down as the fire doesn't turn everything into ash.

I personally don't care if I can be cremated or not I ain't going to worrying about it after I am dead so why worry now.

I always think that actually to stick with the recycling we are all encouraged to do we ought to be buried so that the energy contained in our bodies can go back into the eco system via the bacteria etc that will consume us.

RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal