+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ladies- hospital stay questions  (Read 1611 times)

janat

Ladies- hospital stay questions
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:06 AM »
Hi,

I have never stayed in a hospital. Mine is Swedish Ortho Center with Dr. Pritchett. 
How long did you stay?
Is one change of clothing after the clothes you wear to the big event enough?  Anything you wished that you had that you forgot?   
Don't laugh....I am into appearances....sorry.  I don't wear sweats so I thought cotton yoga pants would work.  Drawstring pants and tee shirt....did you need a hoodie or sweater?
Did you bring your own shampoo? Do you even feel up to taking a shower?
I have family planning to visit. Should I tell them not to ? Did you feel like conversing with people?
Sorry if these questions are silly....I just want to be as comfortable as possible in a foreign place for me.  I greatly appreciate any input!!

Jana
2/5 surgery
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:04:00 PM by janat »

Dee Dee

Re: Ladies- hospital stay questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »
Hi Jana,

Bring your own travel body wash and shampoo.  I took a shower and fixed my hair before surgery. I don't know dr. Pritchetts protocol, but I was able to take a full shower on day 2. It was actually part of my occupational therapy.

Clothes- I stayed in my gown until the catheter came out on day 2.  I changed to stretchy, slick nylon yoga pants because they help you slide on the bed. I wore a t shirt and had a hoodie for layers but did not need it. Cotton yoga pants work.

Toiletries - since you are not allowed  to use deodorant before surgery, I packed mine along with some light make up in a bag that I kept on my hospital table.  Lip gloss or chap stick is helpful since your lips and mouth tend to be dry.  Mints or lifesaver candies were also good to have handy. I felt better when I dabbed a little make up and combed my hair.  I don't think I brushed my teeth at the sink  until day 2 when I took a shower.  But I had the little one-time disposable toothbrush for the first day for after my meal.

I was able to converse with my hubby just fine right after surgery.  If the pain meds made me sleepy, then I just rested and he stayed quietly in the room.  If you want family, I would let them visit the hospital. If you don't feel good just tell them.  You will be up and walking for some therapy then you will be sore and tired. 

I kept a little note pad on my table to record medicines.  If it was getting close to another dose and I felt like I needed meds, I could check times for myself.  Not everyone has trouble, but I found with both surgeries that I had to be my own advocate and insist on extra pain meds( actually I got a shot) when the epidural wore off.

The hospital time goes by really fast.  I understand your questions and hope you get some reassurance.  Check with your doc about showers in the hospital.  Mine felt so good.  You can ask for a shower bench if it is not already in the stall.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

tennisgirl

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
Hi Jana,

I had a very quick stay (27 hours).  I wore athletic pants, long sleeve top and athletic jacket going in, and wore them on my way out.  Slip on shoes are easy in the beginning.  Wore the hospital gown the whole time in between.

I brought my make-up bag with any meds I needed in it.  I too had to take a shower with the occupational therapist and they provided the soap.  I didn't wash my hair after surgery and just put it in a ponytail.

I actually brushed my teeth in bed using that basin most hospitals provide for (ahem) throwing up.  My husband brought me water so I could rinse after brushing.  Bring a magnifying mirror if you need one for make-up, putting in contacts, etc.

Since I was in an out of town hospital for a short stay, my lone visitor was my husband.  I do recommend bringing a laptap or ipad for entertainment.  I could only watch TV for so long and I loved being able to communicate via email, read the news.  I would hold off on scheduling visitors until you see how you feel.

I didn't need pain meds the day after surgery, but yes, don't let the pain creep up on you.  It's hard to heal when you are hurting, physically and mentally.

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

janat

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:21 PM »
Thank you DeeDee and Tennisgirl,

Your responses were VERY helpful to me.  I now know what items to pack. I like the slip on shoes idea... I'm sure I'll overpack, but that's okay.  I'm sure the shower will feel great.

Jana

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
I was in the hospital for 3 days.  I did not use any makeup but needed my brush, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc..  They did not have me shower but I received sponge baths.  I did wear my robe and stayed in the hostpital gown during the visit until the last day; I brought comfortable, loose cloths (sweat pants) to go home in.  I was advised to bring slip on shoes by two4one (my foot was really swollen) -- good advise for me.  I did have visitors, it was good to close family stop in.  Your sleeping may get a bit out of wack, some guests came while I was sleeping.  I also wore mens boxers post surgery for the first few weeks to eliminate tightness on the scar, it was not bandaged after the surgery and in the front of my leg.  Good luck!
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Spanielsal

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »
Hi Janat

I packed dresses, comfy and some a size too big, then i didn't have to put anything over my feet other than underwear.

a real godsend were the pack of baby wipes, enough to freshen up without staggering to the bathroom in the first 24hrs.  I also had slip on shoes, which were easier to put on.  Be warned, surgery can tip your menstrual cycle out of whack, best to be prepared for that.  It didn't happen to me but I have heard that it is quite common.

all in all, those things made it easier for me but you will be in good hands, and those nurses will have seen it ALL before! Good luck! 
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

lyn

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
I was only there a couple of nights, so i only took toothbrush, workout sweats, t- shirt and slip on shoes is a good idea.

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:28 PM »
I was in for 6 days and a baggy pair of pj bottoms were my clothing of choice. The swelling made it impossible to wear anything close fitting.

I agree with Sal, take some baby wipes. Ideal for freshening up if you don't feel able to shuffle to the shower. I didn't for a few days so the wipes kept me fresh and reasonably clean.

As for visitors, tell them to come as much as they can. I was 3 hours away from home so only had visitors once at the weekend and I really missed the company of familiar faces. You may not be up for it 24 hours following the surgery as you'll be sleepy, but after that family and friends will definately help.

Ruby
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat