+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: the Joys of Hip Resurfacing-21 days out  (Read 1959 times)

jane.schaeffer

the Joys of Hip Resurfacing-21 days out
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »
Hello Pat,
Vicki suggested I post on this site:  I returned from having my hip resurfaced by Dr. Bose in Chennai on April 18.
For years I was told by my local orthopeds that I had a compressed disc leading to nerve impingement which was causing severe sciatica.  They sent me to a neurosurgeon who recomended, yup you guessed it, surgery - that would be neurosurgery.  Being a yoga teacher, I was skeptical, did my online researh, saw that the success of back surgery is about 5% (!5%!) and decided against that.  Since I am currently a yoga teacher, I decided that I would try yoga first and etc etc.

It was my Thai massage therapist who was keeping me running, who determined that the muscles that were contracting were actually around my hip.  He said get an xray.  I did and yes, I had bone on bone in my left hip.  Then to find a doc who could do hip resurfacing.  They all said that at 64, I was "too old", I am dxed with osteopenia, another reason not to do it and I have had a few idiosyncratic kidney stones - not good for a metal prosthesis.  I connected with Healthbase and they sent my records and xrays out to DeSmet, Dr. Bose and I sent them to McMinn and also Planethospital sent them to some docs in Mexico.  ONLY Dr. Bose readily agreed to take my case.  So with my doctor here's blessing (he's done 80 resurfacings but could not get the modified BMHR suggested for people with osteopenia since the FDA has not approved it here in the US), and after much deliberation, I decided that Dr. Bose, with 2500+ resurfacings under his belt, could probably handle my case, that India was a safe place to receive a medical procedure (one younger orthopedic doc who only knows how to do hip replacements said:  "I wouldn't let MY mother go to India for surgery.  What if you crash, what if something happens, what if you need a blood transfusion).  Well, the docs in India and the medical care is far better than any I could have received here in the US.  The anesthesiologist, the nursing staff, the three doctors, the housekeeping staff, the administrative procedures and support.  ......  beyond my wildest dreams.

So, as it turns out, Dr Bose was able to determine immediately from his xray that I would NOT need the modification (and they refunded me the money before I left - where in America would this ever happen?) and I now have a beautiful, perfectly placed BHR, left side.  The PT instructions are impeccable and as long as I follow them, I am progressing each day.  At day 21 post surgery I am able to walk in the house without crutches.  I make myself use them elsewhere as I tire easily and I want to ensure a stable gait.  I'm stiff a lot from waking up those muscles that have been not used or were cut during the surgery.  But I have no pain compared to previously and I can see that I will have my life back soon.

I have the deepest gratitude for this site which was my first contact with the larger group of adventurous hip resurfacers and the Indiaresurfacehippie site which has provided me with ongoing support.

We are a great group.  I'll be writing a more detailed story with pictures for my yoga group and will email you a copy.  I will be delighted to speak or write to anyone who is interested to talk to me more personally.

thanks to you all and especially to Vicki who provided detailed ideas about what to bring and great ongoing support.
Best
Jane

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: the Joys of Hip Resurfacing-21 days out
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
Hi Jane

Congratulations on your new BHR!  Dr. Bose is absolutly one of the best in the word. 

I am so happy that you posted your story here.  I will get it up on the regular website shortly.  Then if you have updates, photos and or videos - I am happy to add those too.

So many people seem afraid to leave the country to have their hip resurfacing.  Actually, people like myself, Vicky and many others are almost afraid to stay in the US to have our hip resurfaced.  I can't say enough about the overseas doctors.  They are the ones with the most experience although we have a few in the US which are pretty experienced.

I am so glad everything went well for you.  It will get better and better now.  By next year, it will all only seem a dream except for the scar and knowing you are out of pain.

I wish you the best and hope you will keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

drmike-s

Re: the Joys of Hip Resurfacing-21 days out
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »
Hi Jane,

I was 73 years old when Dr. De Smet performed a BHR in Oct 2004.  My total experience in Belgium was wonderful.  I'm happy you had such a good experience with Dr. Bose.  Your total cost was probably 1/2
of mine.  I hope your continued recovery is uneventful.

Mike

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat