+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swollen near hip pocket  (Read 14818 times)

amurphy1963

Swollen near hip pocket
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »
Hi, I had my left hip resurfaced in November.  I am so happy with it!  The only issue I have is a small swollen area just behind and below my incision.  It sits right between the edge of my hip pocket and seam of my jeans.  It doesn't actually hurt, it just gets a little irritated from the fabric.  I also notice that it sometimes makes me limp a little when I walk.  I've been hitting the elliptical (3 miles), doing some gentle yoga and weights.  I am pretty active with 3 kids and all their activities.

Has anyone else had swelling this long after surgery?  It's not red/inflamed or warm.
Thanks,
Amurphy

hernanu

Re: Swollen near hip pocket
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
Welcome to the site!

Haven't had that, but I was lumpy in the area fairly early. I think it was scar tissue, which was worked on by my Physical therapist, it worked itself out and is not a problem now.

I'd get in touch with the surgeon and let him / her know what's going on. It's probably something that they deal with all of the time, and not an issue, but you don't lose anything by checking.

It's worth it just to relax your mind, they may also have suggestions on how to address it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »
It sounds like what you might be describing is what some of us have called the "tennis ball". I felt it mostly when I sat down, and it was mostly bothersome during long car rides. If your doctor approves, I found that running it across the foam roller helped. Mine went away by about one year, mostly noticed by the fact that it was no longer a problem during long car rides.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

David

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »
It does sound like the atypical scarring in and around the incision site and fascia.
Best bet is to get a roller and or trigger point ball to break it up, you will use it forever.
If you want to cry a little get some A.R.T. or Graston done on it.
Go see your doc if it changes for the worse.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

amurphy1963

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I will call again next week if it continues.  It's mostly just annoying, but I don't want to screw anything up.  (And I dont' want to cry - I have an ART guy and he always makes me cry ;)

My 6 weeks of hip precautions are done, so I hope I didn't overdo it.
Thanks for helping with expectation setting - I'm always thinking I'm gonna be perfect & normal right after surgery. 
-A

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat