+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: IT Band pain  (Read 2343 times)

Ross

IT Band pain
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:34:23 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestion for pain at the insertion of the IT band at  the outside of the knee.  I have foam rolled it, massage it, heated it, ice it, and it will not go away.  I am 12 weeks postop bilateral with Dr Gross.
Ross

Peter53

Re: IT Band pain
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
Ross
I had a lot of knee pain before my op. Everyone I spoke to said it would go away after the resurfacing.
They were right !!! but a few days later the pain returned with a vengance and I could barely sleep for perhaps 3/4 weeks.  It gradually eased with use, exercise etc and now at 5 months I find I have forgotten about knee pain. it was oly your post that brought it back to mind. \so I guess it seems that whatever your worst pain is before the op it takes a while after the op to really go away but it does!!!
Bye the way I had a Birmingham resurfacing in September.

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:13:03 AM »
Hi, just read an article about problems with pain at the IT band around the knee.
Previous thought was that using a foam roller will help solve problem with pain.
Apparently it does help with pain through massage, but it does nothing so solve the cause and is why it just comes back.
The cause is from weak hip muscles, especially the gluts. When they are weak or out of balance with rest of muscles, the knee tends to be able to twist and cause irritation to the IT band. The IT band is a thick tendon connected to your gluts and it keeps your leg in alignment. Abduction exercises (moving your leg away from your body) like clam shells and side leg lifts will strengthen the hip muscles associated with the IT band. It could take up to six weeks to build the strength to alleviate pain.

I found the article on MAPMYRUN.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

ZAP

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:13:29 AM »
Baseball for upper hip and glutes..  Because it hurts at knee, it doesn't mean thats the problem. Most likely its tight at the glutes... KNOTS, must be worked out and stretched.   Also, squats with weights helped a lot. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImKWKwnIB0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkbkRwqiZRY

podgornymd

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:48:07 AM »
Ross,

I am only just over 2 weeks out from LBHR and recovery was going great until 2 dys ago i developed extreme groin and lateral knee,IT band pain.Not sure what caused it but seems from this web site that it happens. It is discouraging because i was really moving along. I dont have the experience of other people on this site b/c i am only 2 weeks out but my PT had me stop most of my hip flexor exercises and start working more on my glutes to help IT band. I feel your pain. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat